The Student Room Group

Just started taking lessons - should I carry on?

Hi,

I wanted some advice on whether or not to continue taking driving lessons. I finished my A-levels in July this year and had my first driving lesson last Monday, and my second one today. I haven't really thought about driving too much, but wanted to do it for my Duke of Edinburgh last year. My school ended up not doing DofE so I felt that I had no reason to drive. But now I'm on the summer holiday, I figured getting a new skill would be cool and that I had a lot of time to try it out. I'll (hopefully) be going to Warwick for university this year and I wouldn't need a car at university.

In my first driving lesson I practiced stopping and starting. I had trouble with steering and clutch control and my instructor shouted a couple of times, but it was my fault and I did get a considerably better at the end. Today's lesson was quite bad. We practiced turning at junctions and I still hadn't got completely used to steering and clutch control. He shouted a lot more today, and kept saying that I should've gotten used to clutch control and steering already and that he shouldn't have to tell me how it works all the time. Then he kept chanting please put more gas on, please put more gas on, please put more gas on several times because I was going quite slow (20mph) though it felt really fast to me and I got scared because I felt I couldn't control everything and go at a faster speed. I cried a little when he shouted near the end of the two hour lesson, and I felt really stupid because it was my fault. I'm just not a very good driver I suppose. He gave me a tissue and tried to book in the next lesson by saying everything had gone really well, but I didn't book another lesson and said I would text him.

I'm 18 right now. If I'm going to university anyway, is there any point in me learning to drive now? It just puts me in a sad mood the rest of the day because I keep thinking of everything I did wrong. If I do continue with driving lessons, I'm sure I'll have to carry on at university and I don't want a bad driving lesson messing with my mind whilst at university. I'm sorry if this is a really long post, but what I'm asking is should I carry on with driving right now? Am I just being silly about it all?

Edit: I can start and stop okay, but I had trouble at junctions when I tried to turn today. I can't always stay within the lines and, if I'm turning left and steer left, I can't judge when to steer right again so I don't crash into a tree or something. We practiced it a few times but I still have trouble, and I'm scared about hurting other people or crashing into other cars.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hey etherealinsanity! I would suggest changing instructors. Your driving instructor should never shout at you or make you feel uncomfortable in any way. It's still very early days, it took me a long time to get my clutch control, steering etc sorted out, you can't expect (and your instructor shouldn't expect) to be good at these things straight away! My advice would therefore be to find a new instructor who is patient and willing to go at your pace, you will be fine! Also, instructor's cars have dual controls, so they will stop you if there's any chance of hitting something/someone etc. Don't worry :hugs:
Your driving instructor is supposed to be helping you to learn to drive not shouting at you, making you feel useless and making you cry. You are not being silly and you won't be a very good driver after 2 lessons. On that basis, what do you think you should do?
Ok this comes from personal experience through my dad teaching me to drive:
DO NOT stay with an instructor that shouts and you and makes you cry. I will gurantee that it will lead you to no enjoying driving for a long time and will probably make you a nervous wreck. Find a new instructor.
Reply 4
Are you a girl?

Don't stop now you've started, change instructors he seems a ****.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sounds like a prize tit. Find someone else.
Original post by Leviathan1741
Hey etherealinsanity! I would suggest changing instructors. Your driving instructor should never shout at you or make you feel uncomfortable in any way. It's still very early days, it took me a long time to get my clutch control, steering etc sorted out, you can't expect (and your instructor shouldn't expect) to be good at these things straight away! My advice would therefore be to find a new instructor who is patient and willing to go at your pace, you will be fine! Also, instructor's cars have dual controls, so they will stop you if there's any chance of hitting something/someone etc. Don't worry :hugs:

Thank you. You made me feel a little bit better. :smile:

One of my worries is that I'm just being too sensitive about everything, because people have said you need a harsh instructor in order to get things done. Also, can I ask how long it took you to feel settled with driving lessons? My mum became pregnant with my brother when she was nearing her practical test, so never actually took it, but said she felt a little bit more confident by the fifth lessons, and my dad was more confident by the fourth.

I'm with BSM right now but my mum's friend recommended an independent instructor. I might try lessons with her, and then decide if I really want to quit or not.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Emma-Ashley
Your driving instructor is supposed to be helping you to learn to drive not shouting at you, making you feel useless and making you cry. You are not being silly and you won't be a very good driver after 2 lessons. On that basis, what do you think you should do?

Thank you for explaining that. I'm really scared that I'm just being too sensitive about the whole thing, but thinking back over it and taking into account the comments on this thread, I feel a little more confident on judging my progress and what the instructor is like.

I might go with an independent instructor who's been recommended to my mum and give it another go. I think stopping after just two lessons might be a bit hasty, and that I should see if I feel more confident and comfortable with driving as time goes on.
Original post by Moonstruck16
Ok this comes from personal experience through my dad teaching me to drive:
DO NOT stay with an instructor that shouts and you and makes you cry. I will gurantee that it will lead you to no enjoying driving for a long time and will probably make you a nervous wreck. Find a new instructor.

I do feel like a nervous wreck when I'm in the car with my instructor, even though it's only been two lessons. He's pretty nice when we're not actually driving and we talked about Marvel and books and other stuff, but when I start making mistakes, it all goes in the other direction in regards to his mood and patience.

Thank you for your advice. :smile: I'll try an independent instructor in my area. My mum doesn't drive and my dad isn't here, so I'm kind of relying on just the instructors. I think it's cool that your dad is teaching you to drive though (or has taught you already).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by etherealinsanity
Thank you. You made me feel a little bit better. :smile:

One of my worries is that I'm just being too sensitive about everything, because people have said you need a harsh instructor in order to get things done. Also, can I ask how long it took you to feel settled with driving lessons? My mum had my got pregnant when she was nearing her practical test, so never actually took it, but said she felt a little bit more confident by the fifth lessons, and my dad was more confident by the fourth.

I'm with BSM right now but my mum's friend recommended an independent instructor. I might try lessons with her, and then decide if I really want to quit or not.

I don't think you're being too sensitive at all! You definitely do not need a harsh instructor in order to 'get things done', I actually think that makes it worse! You can't concentrate if your instructor is making you uncomfortable, driving lessons are nerve wracking as it is! It took me several months to feel comfortable with driving lessons, and I still get a little nervous now, even though I'm actually above test standard at this point according to my instructor (I should've taken my test already, but it got cancelled because the examiner semi-retired and now it will be at the end of August).

I definitely think trying a new instructor to see whether you feel any better with them is a good idea. If it's still not for you, then consider stopping and maybe having another go at a later date :smile:
Original post by SMEGGGY
Are you a girl?

Don't stop now you've started, change instructors he seems a ****.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, I'm a girl. Thank you. Your comment made me laugh and I'll try driving with a new instructor. Maybe it'll go well second time round.
Original post by WoodyMKC
Sounds like a prize tit. Find someone else.

I'll get straight on to it. Thank you. :smile:
Original post by Leviathan1741
I don't think you're being too sensitive at all! You definitely do not need a harsh instructor in order to 'get things done', I actually think that makes it worse! You can't concentrate if your instructor is making you uncomfortable, driving lessons are nerve wracking as it is! It took me several months to feel comfortable with driving lessons, and I still get a little nervous now, even though I'm actually above test standard at this point according to my instructor (I should've taken my test already, but it got cancelled because the examiner semi-retired and now it will be at the end of August).

I definitely think trying a new instructor to see whether you feel any better with them is a good idea. If it's still not for you, then consider stopping and maybe having another go at a later date :smile:

That makes me feel a lot better. My mum called the independent instructor and we left a message. I'll possibly try another lesson next week. If I leave it too long, I'll probably just keep putting driving lessons off.

Good luck with your driving test! I hope you do well. :smile:
That makes me feel a lot better. My mum called the independent instructor and we left a message. I'll possibly try another lesson next week. If I leave it too long, I'll probably just keep putting driving lessons off.

Good luck with your driving test! I hope you do well. :smile:

I'm glad I've helped you! That's a good idea, you want to keep up the learning momentum for now!

Thank you! I hope you feel more comfortable with your new instructor! Best of luck! :h:
Do it now or otherwise you'll end up like me, after uni and still unable to drive, which has harmed my job prospects as most graduate jobs ask for a driving licence. I have my test in Septemebr so hopefully I pass just in time for my masters degree
Honestly, you should change instructors. Your instructor should never make you cry and shout at you, you're still trying to get used to the whole clutch control and being in control of the car :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
I would stick at it and get a better instructor too. Like all new skills it really tough at the start. Most learners are going to be quite dangerous initially and it is up to the instructor to deal with it in a calm and motivating way. Driving is a key life skill (even though it likely to be superseded by driverless cars in the next 20 years). The sooner you learn the better. Apparently it takes 1 lesson for each year of your age + a bit of practice in between as a rule of thumb.
Thank you to everyone who replied! This is just a quick update. I took your advice and talked to the independent instructor. I had my first driving lesson with her today and she was really nice. We went over some of the basic stuff again and she gave me constructive feedback, and I just felt a lot more comfortable and excited about driving. I'm sure I would have just accepted being a bad driver if I hadn't come on here so thank you for helping me get going again.

And thank you @Jack22031994 I'd never thought about the graduate jobs part before.
Thank you to everyone who replied! This is just a quick update. I took your advice and talked to the independent instructor. I had my first driving lesson with her today and she was really nice. We went over some of the basic stuff again and she gave me constructive feedback, and I just felt a lot more comfortable and excited about driving. I'm sure I would have just accepted being a bad driver if I hadn't come on here so thank you for helping me get going again.

And thank you @Jack22031994 I'd never thought about the graduate jobs part before.

Congrats! :smile:

Just something to add but if you're like me and love to travel, doing a roadtrip around Europe would be amazing, and cheaper than using local transport.

That's really good :biggrin: least now you've got a decent instructor and you can gain confidence too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending