The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Going to York....Flights

Hi guys, I plan on attending the Orientation Programme offered by York in early October however wondered which airport is recommended when coming from Amsterdam. If you look at it in terms of geography then I reckon Liverpool is closest for easyJet destinations but that is still very far away from York. You then have York's website stating Manchester Airport....but what cheap airline companies that fly from Amsterdam, fly to Manchester. Can anyone recommend any other airport or is it possible to take a train/coach from Liverpool to York??

Perhaps someone else knows a different airline that's cheap?

Thanks for any help/advice!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Ok, done my homework for you!

There is Newcastle airport. If you flew to Newcastle it would take about 90 minuites to be driven to York. You can only fly with KLM and it seems to cost a fortune [200 pounds+] so thats probably a bad option.

Leeds/ Bradford airport is probably the closest of all airports, it is 30 miles from York and would take 45 minuites to be driven to york. You can fly with Jet2 (cheap carrier) 'from 19.99 GBP.' see www.Jet2.com I put in Amsterdam to Leeds for October 5th, just to see out of interest how much it would cost and it came out as 45 Euros (27 GBP??) They seem to fly out 7 days a week, twice a day so that looks pretty good (?).

There is also Liverpool and Manchester of course. In a car from Manchester airport it takes 1 hour 30. From Liverpool airport it takes 2 hours, just to give you an idea.

Hope that helps
University of York
York
Reply 2
DonneJohn
Ok, done my homework for you!

There is Newcastle airport. If you flew to Newcastle it would take about 90 minuites to be driven to York. You can only fly with KLM and it seems to cost a fortune [200 pounds+] so thats probably a bad option.

Leeds/ Bradford airport is probably the closest of all airports, it is 30 miles from York and would take 45 minuites to be driven to york. You can fly with Jet2 (cheap carrier) 'from 19.99 GBP.' see www.Jet2.com I put in Amsterdam to Leeds for October 5th, just to see out of interest how much it would cost and it came out as 45 Euros (27 GBP??) They seem to fly out 7 days a week, twice a day so that looks pretty good (?).

There is also Liverpool and Manchester of course. In a car from Manchester airport it takes 1 hour 30. From Liverpool airport it takes 2 hours, just to give you an idea.

Hope that helps

WOW, that is EXTREMELY helpful and VERY kind of you. I will check this out immediately. I have never heard of Jet2. Thank you very much, pos rep on the way!! :smile:

Thanks again!!!!

EDIT: Yea, I checked KLM as well first thing, insane amounts...

One more thing, so Leeds is definitely the easiest of them all right? It seems to be cheaper to fly there as well (rather than Manchester)...so why do they have people from York Uni waiting at Manchester airport to drive to York Uni? Wouldn't Leeds then be much easier indeed or is Manchester a more popular airport??

Thanks!
Reply 3
Would definitely agree with Leeds/Bradford. There is also a bus service from the airport to York Train Station for £10 then can get the bus to campus from there, cheap and easy.
Reply 4
Dutchy I think it's beacause Leeds is small in comparison to Manchester and Liverpool. York probably only put Manchester on it's website because Manchester does a few long haul flights, so some long haul international students might be able to fly straight in whereas they couldnt at Leeds.

You are lucky eh?! :biggrin:
Reply 5
FANTASTIC!!! Thanks so much guys, man are you lot helpful!

Now on a separate note, my brother and sister live in London. During term time, is it easy going away for a weekend or such to visit them? Any specific coach or train that may be extra affordable??

Thanks again, I really do appreciate this!!
Reply 6
In prospectus they say that London is 2h by train ( even 1h 40 min )
Why do ppl travel to Man rather than Leeds? It's not that easy to get there. For example I can't get there from two "nearby" airports and would have to travel so far to get to the only airport in the country which has that flight that it can be not worth it.

How long would it take from Sheffield ( Robin Hood ) or Durham Tees Valley? Are there any regular connections to York?
Reply 7
Yea, I heard this too about the time to get to London. However, thinking of England, its gonna be expensive. I was wondering with what student discounts or other smart moves one can get to London the cheapest as I want to be able to see my bro and sis at least once a month or so.
Reply 8
If you are flexible with times and dates you can get single tickets for as little as £10. Otherwise its £60 on the day. That is for the train.
Reply 9
alastair
If you are flexible with times and dates you can get single tickets for as little as £10. Otherwise its £60 on the day. That is for the train.

Very interesting. Absolutely, I am very flexible with times and dates. Very good to know indeed, do you have any info on these times or dates or perhaps a website containing times and prices?

Thanks!!
Reply 10
haha dutchy, you are just TOO enthusiastic, hey mr. donne, want to do more homework for me? haha, no, i got it covered.. my folks are probably going to fly with me to heathrow and we're going to drive up.

ill probably be going for the pre-sessional orientation programme, dutchy! so ill see you there! you're already booking flights? woah. hahah im leaving everything till mid august when i start getting letters from york about various things..

also, how cheap are things to get there? i mean small things like desk lamps, or kitchen equipment etc.. due to the baggage limit i doubt ill be able to lug up a huge amount
Reply 11
larriboo
haha dutchy, you are just TOO enthusiastic, hey mr. donne, want to do more homework for me? haha, no, i got it covered.. my folks are probably going to fly with me to heathrow and we're going to drive up.

ill probably be going for the pre-sessional orientation programme, dutchy! so ill see you there! you're already booking flights? woah. hahah im leaving everything till mid august when i start getting letters from york about various things..

also, how cheap are things to get there? i mean small things like desk lamps, or kitchen equipment etc.. due to the baggage limit i doubt ill be able to lug up a huge amount

Nah not excited at all.........ok fine I am! :p: I just can't wait for the cold weather again, making new friends, a course I finally like (unlike all my school classes, lol), good old cider and beer (the stuff here is disgusting, no joke), and to see my bro and sis again :smile:

I was looking through the York Uni website and they mentioned various products and the prices of such and all the stores and what they sell (supermarkets, etc). They recommend you sort out kitchen things with your housemates, so everyone shares things, this sounds much better than getting a bunch of stuff just for yourself.

Anyway, I'm all the way in Venezuela and will be going around Europe soon so I want to have everything sorted...and flights are much cheaper!! :smile:

See ya there!! :smile:

- Floris
Reply 12
For train ticket prices look on www.thetrainline.com and mess about with the days. You may need to register though.
Reply 13
alastair
For train ticket prices look on www.thetrainline.com and mess about with the days. You may need to register though.

Thank you! :smile:
ergie
In prospectus they say that London is 2h by train ( even 1h 40 min )
Why do ppl travel to Man rather than Leeds? It's not that easy to get there. For example I can't get there from two "nearby" airports and would have to travel so far to get to the only airport in the country which has that flight that it can be not worth it.

How long would it take from Sheffield ( Robin Hood ) or Durham Tees Valley? Are there any regular connections to York?
York to Sheffield is fairly well served. But Robin Hood is perhaps nearer Doncaster than Sheffield and York is the next station on the East Coast Mainline after Doncaster train station - takes no more than about half an hour on the train.

Leeds itself is probably easier to get to than Manchester (more trains, nearer etc) But Manchester Airport has direct trains to York, where as Leeds-Bradford airport would require a change to another train/bus at Leeds Station (not sure if trains serve Leeds-Bradford).
Reply 15
Thanks a lot. I would go to Doncaster. I've heard that Doncaster-York trains are quite frequent too.
I think you should take the ferry to Hull, then get a train to York. Train to York won't be expensive (maybe about ten pounds) and the ferry will be much cheaper than flying, and you'll get a lovely night out on the sea, with good cabins, a bar... think about it :biggrin:
Reply 17
Thanks for the replies!! It's all so tricky, need to figure out my whole trip while I'm in South America!!
Reply 18
BornUnderPunches
I think you should take the ferry to Hull, then get a train to York. Train to York won't be expensive (maybe about ten pounds) and the ferry will be much cheaper than flying, and you'll get a lovely night out on the sea, with good cabins, a bar... think about it :biggrin:

Nice idea, I wonder how much the ferry is.

If you want to fly, OP - just go to London and get a train up. Chances are that the whole journey will be faster (EDIT: I meant cheaper) than trying to fly to a smaller airport closer to York.
Reply 19
rock_ten
Nice idea, I wonder how much the ferry is.

If you want to fly, OP - just go to London and get a train up. Chances are that the whole journey will be faster than trying to fly to a smaller airport closer to York.

Thanks for the advice. I may just go and do that. Visit my bro and sis in London for a couple days and catch the train to York. Cheers.

Latest

Trending

Trending