The Student Room Group

How can I prepare for a Law Degree over the summer???

Hi guys... I am starting Leeds Beckett University in September and I will be studying LLB Law. I was wondering if there is any way I can prepare, for example, any books I can read that would be of some use? Thanks :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by meganspurr
Hi guys... I am starting Leeds Beckett University in September and I will be studying LLB Law. I was wondering if there is any way I can prepare, for example, any books I can read that would be of some use? Thanks :smile:

Don't worry about preparing. I could recommend staple texts like a Fafinski's Legal Skills or classics like Bagehot's English Constitution but seriously don't worry about it and enjoy the rest of your summer. The law school will take over in September and tell you all you need to know and give you your reading lists (and if you did A-Level Law they'll tell you to forget everything you learnt in it!).
Just relax and look at the steps you can take in first and second year that will help set you up for a career in the legal profession (if that's what you want to do). Many students have no clue what steps they need to follow and only apply when it's too late or find out later on and consequently have less time to apply
Reply 3
I agree, there's really nothing you absolutely need to do to prepare for uni. I would always advise against buying textbooks until you've seen a full reading list, spoken to your tutor and seen what's in the library.

Things you could do that would be beneficial for making the most of your first year would be to figure out the best way for you to learn in lectures. For example, in first year I took loads of notes on paper and just never used them. In second and third year, I bought a small, cheap laptop so I could follow the slides and make notes with the corresponding slide on case facts and principles and exam tips that the lecturer might drop. Its something entirely personal but I always think of all that paper I wasted in first year.

Have a look over some sites like law careers. These are really useful tools to familiarise yourself with and provide a lot of good information. If you're interested, you could look for any events or schemes open to first year and make a note of any you're interested in.

Other than that, enjoy your summer and prepare yourself for freshers. Good luck :smile:
Some Universities provide you with reading lists beforehand if they do, it is worth reading those texts. Otherwise, you do not need to do any specific preparation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending