The Student Room Group

Law at uni

hi. i’m a y12 student going in to y13. throughout the year i was thinking of choosing law for uni (it was my choice even before sixth form). after i sat my as exams i wasnt quite confident and believed i hadn’t obtained the grades that will help me to be predicted the grades required for law (A*AA-AAA). i genuinely thought i had gotten Ds and Es. come results day i had actually gotten ABB which means, according to how my teachers do their predictions, i’d be predicted A*AA. this summer i was working on figuring out an alternative and preparing for an application to history. i’ve heard of law conversion routes and things like that but i’d prefer to apply straight to law. is it too late to go back to the applying straight to law route?? i haven’t done any sort of work experience for law which i think would hinder me as well as lnat prep.
Reply 1
Original post by shanice m
hi. i’m a y12 student going in to y13. throughout the year i was thinking of choosing law for uni (it was my choice even before sixth form). after i sat my as exams i wasnt quite confident and believed i hadn’t obtained the grades that will help me to be predicted the grades required for law (A*AA-AAA). i genuinely thought i had gotten Ds and Es. come results day i had actually gotten ABB which means, according to how my teachers do their predictions, i’d be predicted A*AA. this summer i was working on figuring out an alternative and preparing for an application to history. i’ve heard of law conversion routes and things like that but i’d prefer to apply straight to law. is it too late to go back to the applying straight to law route?? i haven’t done any sort of work experience for law which i think would hinder me as well as lnat prep.

I wouldn't say its too late, but you'll most likely have to put in a bit of extra work depending on what unis you want to go to and for lnat prep so you'd be ready when that comes around, but you still have the time to change to just doing a law course nonetheless. As for the work experience see if you can find any online programmes that could be completed over the next few weeks or so as these will still count if mentioned on your personal statement, if you can get any i'd recommend some wider reading on law in general, cases you find interesting ect to mention on your personal statement as well as it'll really show your interested in the subject and that your passionate about it. And even if you do get work experience (Online or in person) still possibly mention some wider reading to show you have gone above the curriculum you've been taught.
Original post by shanice m

Hi @shanice m

Firstly, a massive congratulations on your recent results!
As long as it isn't past the UCAS deadline, then you are definitely not too late to apply for courses in law. In terms of the LNAT, of course it is important to prep, however, it is not testing legal knowledge but how you think. Therefore, as long as you understand the sort of questions that will be asked then you shouldn't have an issue if you haven't prepped much. Also, not every uni is a LNAT uni so it really depends if you only want to go to a LNAT institution as to whether this is actually a problem for you to consider. In terms of work experience for law, it is quite literally never too late to get work experience unless it is the day of the deadline. Of course, some larger programmes for work experience have strict deadlines, however, you can always email firms to see if they will give you a day of work experience. Equally, a great way to get some experience and show real interest is to simply head down to your local Crown Court (its free and open to the public) and sit in one of the trials there to see some advocacy in action and understand the process of the criminal court. Another great way to increase your breadth and depth of the field is to listen to podcasts such as LawinAction or read articles on recent legal developments or cases which you can find easily with a quick google. Basically, there are many ways you can get experience which is really easy and quick and can be put in a personal statement or discussed at an interview to show your drive for the subject. What is really important, is that you don't study for a degree you actually don't want to do as this will get you a lower grade which could hinder future employment and, in more general terms, will dampen your university experience. I hope this helps and good luck!

Sophie :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by UniofLaw Student
Hi @shanice m

Firstly, a massive congratulations on your recent results!
As long as it isn't past the UCAS deadline, then you are definitely not too late to apply for courses in law. In terms of the LNAT, of course it is important to prep, however, it is not testing legal knowledge but how you think. Therefore, as long as you understand the sort of questions that will be asked then you shouldn't have an issue if you haven't prepped much. Also, not every uni is a LNAT uni so it really depends if you only want to go to a LNAT institution as to whether this is actually a problem for you to consider. In terms of work experience for law, it is quite literally never too late to get work experience unless it is the day of the deadline. Of course, some larger programmes for work experience have strict deadlines, however, you can always email firms to see if they will give you a day of work experience. Equally, a great way to get some experience and show real interest is to simply head down to your local Crown Court (its free and open to the public) and sit in one of the trials there to see some advocacy in action and understand the process of the criminal court. Another great way to increase your breadth and depth of the field is to listen to podcasts such as LawinAction or read articles on recent legal developments or cases which you can find easily with a quick google. Basically, there are many ways you can get experience which is really easy and quick and can be put in a personal statement or discussed at an interview to show your drive for the subject. What is really important, is that you don't study for a degree you actually don't want to do as this will get you a lower grade which could hinder future employment and, in more general terms, will dampen your university experience. I hope this helps and good luck!

Sophie :smile:

Hi! Omg I didn’t know I got responses to this. Thank you so much! I cant believe I didn’t think about heading down to a local Crown Court. In order to observe a trial do I need to just head down there or is there anything I need to do in advance? This was so helpful thank you once again! Are you okay with me contacting you further regarding the whole law school application process perhaps through an easier medium?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending