The Student Room Group

Cardiff University Medicine Applicants 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ameehannah
I just got rejected I literally don't understand my interview went so well :frown: I think my ukcat let me down

I'm thinking same,:frown:
apparently after your interview, they only decide to give you an offer or not depending how you do in your interview ONLY ... ugh IDK tbh
call them up tomorow to see why they rejected you if you want
Original post by Ishea16
I'm thinking same,:frown:
apparently after your interview, they only decide to give you an offer or not depending how you do in your interview ONLY ... ugh IDK tbh
call them up tomorow to see why they rejected you if you want

Oh I see, I honestly thought my interview couldn't have gone better, like I was well prepared etc 😭 I'm northern Irish so between flights and accommodation it cost me £200 out of my own pocket to go to that interview
Original post by ameehannah
Oh I see, I honestly thought my interview couldn't have gone better, like I was well prepared etc 😭 I'm northern Irish so between flights and accommodation it cost me £200 out of my own pocket to go to that interview

AW don't worry, it cost me a lot to get to Cardiff as well but not as much as you though aha:redface:
try to move on, I really do hope you get into other med Unis, focus on getting the grades, can't give up now can we, worked too hard for this :tongue::wink:
Goodluck x
Original post by Ishea16
AW don't worry, it cost me a lot to get to Cardiff as well but not as much as you though aha:redface:
try to move on, I really do hope you get into other med Unis, focus on getting the grades, can't give up now can we, worked too hard for this :tongue::wink:
Goodluck x

Yeah wasn't meant to be I guess :smile: thanks it makes me feel a lot better and good luck to you too x
Rejection. absolutely gutted.
So it looks like nobody got an offer today?
How do we know if we are on a reserve list?

Posted from TSR Mobile
what did your rejection say then guys?
How to request for feedback?
Original post by OloMed
Rejection. absolutely gutted.
So it looks like nobody got an offer today?
How do we know if we are on a reserve list?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If reserve list you're sent an additional email from Cardiff asides from the track rejection
Original post by DariusVaselo
If reserve list you're sent an additional email from Cardiff asides from the track rejection

Has anyone on here received the reserve list email?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rejected
Original post by Jess.Berry
what did your rejection say then guys?

UCAS was just updated saying application is unsuccessful
Is there anyone left who hasn't heard anything?
My daughter got the rejection as well on UCAS Track. This was the last option. So, all five universities rejected her with two post-interview and three pre-interview. Really sad situation. Now thinking about next steps, gap year etc.. but lots of tears first need to be shed. Anyone else in this situation or not willing to go to their offer and thinking about a gap year? My daughter is starting to think Medicine may be just not worth the agony of possibly getting again rejected everywhere next year. All her hard effort evaporated because of the interview and she thought she did well! Wondering what they were looking for. I hope she will find the strength the focus on her A-levels and get these amazing predicted grades.
Has anyone received an email about being on a reserve list???
Original post by medparent
My daughter got the rejection as well on UCAS Track. This was the last option. So, all five universities rejected her with two post-interview and three pre-interview. Really sad situation. Now thinking about next steps, gap year etc.. but lots of tears first need to be shed. Anyone else in this situation or not willing to go to their offer and thinking about a gap year? My daughter is starting to think Medicine may be just not worth the agony of possibly getting again rejected everywhere next year. All her hard effort evaporated because of the interview and she thought she did well! Wondering what they were looking for. I hope she will find the strength the focus on her A-levels and get these amazing predicted grades.

I got rejected today from Cardiff post interview as well but I got rejected from all 4 last year pre interview. It takes time to get over but your daughter has to stay focus so she can achieve the 3 As at A Level to then apply next year. There is no harm in taking a year out as you can get more experience which makes your application stronger next time and more likely of getting that offer. Just try and stay positive!

I'm a current medical student and I just wanted to pass on some advice to your daughter. I know many medical students who got all rejections first time applying and who ended up with a couple of offers once they had applied for a second time. A gap year would be the perfect opportunity to get some more volunteering experience in a health setting, maybe earn some money alongside to help with uni the following year etc.

I think the main thing to take away from it all, and this applies to everyone who got rejections, is not to give up. If medicine is really what you want to do then you will find a way, and even if it means taking a year out and reapplying next year it will all be worth it in the long-run. Just focus on getting the best A Level grades you can and don't give up!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've applied this year for the first time while on my gap year (I didn't apply in Year 13) and I can honestly say that it is a lot easier as you don't have to stress about studying or getting the grades because you have them beforehand so the interviews are a bit easier on your mind and you are able to prepare more. As long as she works hard, focuses on achieving the best grades and doesn't give up (if it's really what she wants to do) then everything will work out next year and she can enjoy a year off before all the hard work begins :smile:. I wish her the best of luck with her exams and just don't give up!
Sorry to hear about all the rejections today. I would like to take this time to remind everyone who has been rejected that this does not in any way mean you are not cut out to be a doctor, nor not good enough for medical school. This process is tough, medical schools are picking applicants to give offers to from a cohort of very highly skilled and well rounded individuals, all of which deserve a place at medical school, its just sadly they cannot take everyone and hence performance at the interview is all they have to go on.
To anyone sat with 4 rejections now wondering what to do, know that this is normal and happens to nearly 60% of all medicine applicants each year. Its now time to ask yourself if you really think medicine is for you, not because you didn't get an offer, but because you need to decide whether you want to take a year out and reapply. If you cannot see yourself doing anything else then take a gap year and apply again. Take it from many of the people I study with today, a lot of them took gap years before applying to medicine because they got rejected first time around, and all of them said it was one of the best opportunities to grow as people and take some time to do the things you have always wanted to do. Medical school and being a doctor is a long career with very little time to yourself, maybe a gap year is a blessing in disguise so you can enjoy some time to yourself to do things you want to do before starting on this long journey. You may also find having been through the process once it will be easier to sit the UKCAT and apply to your strengths next time around.

I wish everyone the best of luck.
Original post by Natalierm2707
Sorry to hear about all the rejections today. I would like to take this time to remind everyone who has been rejected that this does not in any way mean you are not cut out to be a doctor, nor not good enough for medical school. This process is tough, medical schools are picking applicants to give offers to from a cohort of very highly skilled and well rounded individuals, all of which deserve a place at medical school, its just sadly they cannot take everyone and hence performance at the interview is all they have to go on.
To anyone sat with 4 rejections now wondering what to do, know that this is normal and happens to nearly 60% of all medicine applicants each year. Its now time to ask yourself if you really think medicine is for you, not because you didn't get an offer, but because you need to decide whether you want to take a year out and reapply. If you cannot see yourself doing anything else then take a gap year and apply again. Take it from many of the people I study with today, a lot of them took gap years before applying to medicine because they got rejected first time around, and all of them said it was one of the best opportunities to grow as people and take some time to do the things you have always wanted to do. Medical school and being a doctor is a long career with very little time to yourself, maybe a gap year is a blessing in disguise so you can enjoy some time to yourself to do things you want to do before starting on this long journey. You may also find having been through the process once it will be easier to sit the UKCAT and apply to your strengths next time around.

I wish everyone the best of luck.

Do you reckon they will have a reserve list?
Maybe there's still some hope.
Original post by OloMed
Do you reckon they will have a reserve list?
Maybe there's still some hope.

Logically I do think there will be a reserve list, many offer holders miss their offers each year and hence Cardiff like to have applicants who were very close to the mark but just missed out on an offer in a reserve list just in case a space becomes availible.
- if there is a reserve list you will be notified that you are on it.

My best advice here is do not rely on the reserve list, you will only be eligible to be taken off the reserve list if you hold no offers for medicine at any university come results day, hence it is reserved for those with 4 rejections. Make sure you plan your gap year if you end up on the reserve list as you cannot rely on this being a way into medical school.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending