The Student Room Group

Cardiff University Medicine Applicants 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Natalierm2707
no preference is given to Welsh speakers over English speakers as Cardiff is an English speaking medical school. Not once have I been required to know any Welsh in the whole 2 years I have been there.

The A* in Welsh GCSE will be used in the normal ranking system.

thank you so much for your reply, much apprecitaed.do you thinkI have any chance with 4A*'s, 4A's and 3B's as I am a bit worried that I'm below average compared to most medical students.Do you study medicine at Cardiff ? if so what grades did you get to get in GCSE's and A levels?
no preference is given to Welsh speakers over English speakers as Cardiff is an English speaking medical school. Not once have I been required to know any Welsh in the whole 2 years I have been there.

The A* in Welsh GCSE will be used in the normal ranking system.

thank you so much for your comment, much appreciated.I am really passionate about medicine, do you think my Gcse's will hold me back?-4A*'s, 4A"S and 3B's.I know they aren't the strongest and would love to get into cardiff as i don't know of any other welsh medical schools.Did you study medicine there?if so what Gcse's and A level's did you get?or what did most medical students get who got accepted there?
where will you guys be staying? i've heard a lot of medics will be living in talybont south/north & liberty house?
Original post by casi12345
thank you so much for your comment, much appreciated.I am really passionate about medicine, do you think my Gcse's will hold me back?-4A*'s, 4A"S and 3B's.I know they aren't the strongest and would love to get into cardiff as i don't know of any other welsh medical schools.Did you study medicine there?if so what Gcse's and A level's did you get?or what did most medical students get who got accepted there?

Hi I'm a 3rd year medic at Cardiff. Your GCSEs are really good !!. I'm not sure what the A*s/A's and B were in. Cardiff use a point scale system to score your best 9 (must include English,Maths and Science and the others are whatever your highest scored in).
I'm going to be honest Cardiff seem to be very keen on GCSEs for selection and they calculate your academic score from them (and A levels IF you have acheived them).
The only reason I was competitive enough for Cardiff's academic criteria was because I had my grades in hand and so that topped up my score.

My advise for you would be to just focus on your A levels for now and expand your mind. Yes Cardiff is a great medical school however medicine is medicine and there are plenty of other med schools out there with whom your application may be stronger depending on your ukcat,PS,A level predictions etc..
It's best to have an open mind.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask on the 2018 Cardiff thread and I'd be more than happy to try to answer, or it would be a good idea to email admissions directly. Maybe try visiting open days aswell as you get a good insight from them.
Original post by futuremedic19
Hi I'm a 3rd year medic at Cardiff. Your GCSEs are really good !!. I'm not sure what the A*s/A's and B were in. Cardiff use a point scale system to score your best 9 (must include English,Maths and Science and the others are whatever your highest scored in).
I'm going to be honest Cardiff seem to be very keen on GCSEs for selection and they calculate your academic score from them (and A levels IF you have acheived them).
The only reason I was competitive enough for Cardiff's academic criteria was because I had my grades in hand and so that topped up my score.

My advise for you would be to just focus on your A levels for now and expand your mind. Yes Cardiff is a great medical school however medicine is medicine and there are plenty of other med schools out there with whom your application may be stronger depending on your ukcat,PS,A level predictions etc..
It's best to have an open mind.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask on the 2018 Cardiff thread and I'd be more than happy to try to answer, or it would be a good idea to email admissions directly. Maybe try visiting open days aswell as you get a good insight from them.

thank you so much for your reply, much appreciated.I feel really passionate about this and am very hopeful of geting into a good medical school.If you don't mind me asking, what did you get in your GCSE's? I have now decided to remark two of my papers in hope of achieving two more A*, I'll do all i can to get to medical school.Thanks again for your reply!
Glad to hear it! Hoping all is well with your application thus far!

Do you need 9 a*s to get in what if u have 22 points?
thank you so much for your reply, much appreciated.I feel really passionate about this and am very hopeful of geting into a good medical school.If you don't mind me asking, what did you get in your GCSE's? I have now decided to remark two of my papers in hope of achieving two more A*, I'll do all i can to get to medical school.Thanks again for your reply!

Your very welcome. Anymore questions feel free to ask. I had 4.5A*s 8A's. Remember it's not all about GCSEs, since I only got through the academic scoring system because I had my grades in hand. By all means remark your paper, but other than that just forget about it tbh and focus on your A levels. Like I said your ukcat,PS, A levels will also be a critical for selection. Have an open mind and believe in yourself!!
Original post by futuremedic19
Your very welcome. Anymore questions feel free to ask. I had 4.5A*s 8A's. Remember it's not all about GCSEs, since I only got through the academic scoring system because I had my grades in hand. By all means remark your paper, but other than that just forget about it tbh and focus on your A levels. Like I said your ukcat,PS, A levels will also be a critical for selection. Have an open mind and believe in yourself!!

thank you so much!
Sorry if this has been asked before but do all candidates have a clean state at the interview?
Original post by ArcaneMists
Sorry if this has been asked before but do all candidates have a clean state at the interview?

Yes :smile:
i dont have a great UKCAT score. It is over the average of 650, i got 680. is this a big disadvantage for Cardiff.
Original post by medicine1999
i dont have a great UKCAT score. It is over the average of 650, i got 680. is this a big disadvantage for Cardiff.

Not at all! That is a great score for Cardiff. Out of all the UKCAT unis, I think Cardiff are probably one of the most lenient when it comes to the UKCAT. They only use it post interview in the case of borderline candidates. I had 610 last year and I still got an offer so don't worry :smile:
Original post by divinem99
Not at all! That is a great score for Cardiff. Out of all the UKCAT unis, I think Cardiff are probably one of the most lenient when it comes to the UKCAT. They only use it post interview in the case of borderline candidates. I had 610 last year and I still got an offer so don't worry :smile:

thanks that very reassuring, also do u believe that cardiff has lots of extracurricular things like good sports teams etc.
Umm from looking at the societies I think they do but I'm not entirely sure since I haven't actually started uni yet. I'll be starting next week!
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4860744&p=73801556#post73801556

NEW THREAD FOR 2018 ENTRY!

I would greatly appreciate it if applicants for the next cycle could use the new 2018 entry thread. You are more likely to get answers over there and it is updated for your year of entry.
I'd love to go to Cardiff medical school!I'm doing Biology, chemistry, psychology and music at A level, but I'm not really enjoying psychology and think i would do much better in art.Do you think I'd have the best chances at a high grade in art or an average grade in psychology?I figured the psychology a level would be more valuable in medicine, but Im not really sure.
Would very much appreciate any reply.
Anyone know when Cardiff start giving out interviews for medicine?
I'd love to go to Cardiff medical school!I'm doing Biology, chemistry, psychology and music at A level, but I'm not really enjoying psychology and think i would do much better in art.Do you think I'd have the best chances at a high grade in art or an average grade in psychology?I figured the psychology a level would be more valuable in medicine, but Im not really sure.
Would very much appreciate any reply.

I would do art if you enjoy that more. Psychology is not going to be looked at any better than art - if anything it could also be considered as a soft subject. Also art may be a good idea as it shows you have good manual dexterity. Most medical schools if not all will not care what subjects you do as long as you do Chemistry and Biology. I can can only think of Cambridge which like to see 3/4 science subjects and UCL which like to see a contrasting subject, but this preference is quite small, so do the subject you like more and feel like you have the higher chance of getting A or A* in.
Reply 1558
I know this thread is for 2017 applicants but has a question related to 2017 admission and get an idea about my status. I have an offer for deferred entry in 2019 with a condition of AA (Scottish Qualification) in advanced highers. However, I found out 2 days back that my achievement was ABB. What chances do I stand in terms of university relaxing the condition? Please share any stats you are aware from 2017 for such situation.

Thanks in advance

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending