The Student Room Group

Over 18 and getting Invisalign braces for free.

I'm 19 now and had braces for years ever since the age of around 9 till 17 and then I had them off and had retainers. After a year or so I stopped wearing my retainers and then one day my dog ate and ruined my top retainer.

It's not been another year and because I didn't think it would affect my teeth I didn't go back. My front teeth now stick out, my top teeth have gaps and it has affected my self esteem so much that it's made me depressed and anxious.

If I explained this to a doctor do you think there is anyway I could get Invisalign at a discount or even for free? I'm getting so depressed over it. It's pathetic I know, but after having braces for so many years and now having issues again it is making me SO upset.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I'm 19 now and had braces for years ever since the age of around 9 till 17 and then I had them off and had retainers. After a year or so I stopped wearing my retainers and then one day my dog ate and ruined my top retainer.

It's not been another year and because I didn't think it would affect my teeth I didn't go back. My front teeth now stick out, my top teeth have gaps and it has affected my self esteem so much that it's made me depressed and anxious.

If I explained this to a doctor do you think there is anyway I could get Invisalign at a discount or even for free? I'm getting so depressed over it. It's pathetic I know, but after having braces for so many years and now having issues again it is making me SO upset.

It's been*
Reply 2

Honestly? You won't get it for free. I am quite sure the cut off for braces on the NHS is 18. If the damage was serious then perhaps a discount.

I would explain all this to your dentist. You will get a far better explained and a much more educated answer from them, rather than on TSR. :yep:
Reply 3

Did you choose to stop wearing the retainers? If so, why should you get it for free or even at a discounted rate?
Reply 4

It's not been another year and because I didn't think it would affect my teeth I didn't go back.

Karma's a *****

If you've already received free treatment and couldn't be bothered with the maintenance after, what makes you think you deserve another set of more expensive braces for free? This is not what the NHS is for. Pay for it yourself.
Should've worn the retainers :redface:
Reply 7
I've worn braces braces and retainers for 9 years.. I've been naive, yes. I don't get why there's so much hate. You guys say it's free but it's not like my family haven't paid taxes etc unlike some people living in this country.. On top of that I don't abuse the healthcare system. This is something that has affected me my whole life and you're saying stuff like 'karma is a b****..'. That's very helpful..

I am more than willing to keep up the maintenance, but my retainer had been destroyed after I turned 18. Also I feel I my teeth need more than a retainer.

P.s. don't bother responding if you're just going to criticise me.. You probably wouldn't like it if I started criticising you over something you're insecure about. Believe me everyone has their insecurities so don't think you're an exception.
I've worn braces braces and retainers for 9 years.. I've been naive, yes. I don't get why there's so much hate. You guys say it's free but it's not like my family haven't paid taxes etc unlike some people living in this country.. On top of that I don't abuse the healthcare system. This is something that has affected me my whole life and you're saying stuff like 'karma is a b****..'. That's very helpful..

I am more than willing to keep up the maintenance, but my retainer had been destroyed after I turned 18. Also I feel I my teeth need more than a retainer.

P.s. don't bother responding if you're just going to criticise me.. You probably wouldn't like it if I started criticising you over something you're insecure about. Believe me everyone has their insecurities so don't think you're an exception.

I'm really sorry that some highly ignorant people on here thought it was in any way helpful or necessary to be so rude to you :dong: . Clearly they're all perfect and have never made mistakes themselves, especially when they were young :rolleyes: :wink:

In response to your query, I'm afraid I can't give a definitive answer, I can only tell you that I myself was able to have dental work done for free on the NHS beyond age 18, (t'was a bit more severe than braces, but you say yourself that you think you might need something else) so it's definitely an avenue worth pursuing. It took me a very long time to get (even after I was approved for funding it was over a year until anything was actually done), so my advice would be to keep trying. Keep pestering people, and if you reach a dead end in one place, try elsewhere. I was referred to four hospitals in the end. Don't expect it to happen soon, but definitely start by speaking to your dentist about it, they'll know how to take the matter further.

Best of luck :smile: Feel free to PM me about anything if you want, seeing as some of the people here just want to spout nonsense :rolleyes:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9

You said yourself you stopped wearing it and then it was destroyed and you didn't do anything about it.
Please do not start on paying taxes - I don't think you understand those cost of dentists and every time you visit your GP etc. not to mention if you have been state schooled as well as the fact that you have access to emergency services, roads to drive on etc. You get much more out of the system than what you pay in.
Do I feel sorry for you? Yes, because I had braces myself then a retainer which the orthodontist said I should stop wearing and eventually my teeth moved a tiny bit. If I want them to look perfect I accept that I will need to pay for the treatment.
There is absolutely 0 reason why the NHS should fund for your teeth to get fixed again. To put it in to perspective - the NHS classes laser hair treatment etc. as a cosmetic treatment and will rarely fund it even if the person is suffering from hirsutism. Again, that is something which can affect a person's life, confidence, self-esteem etc. but the person has to accept that if they wish to change their appearance they will most likely have to pay for it.
Original post by SHABANA
You said yourself you stopped wearing it and then it was destroyed and you didn't do anything about it.

OP asked a question, they didn't ask for a critique of their circumstances. Your opinion is totally irrelevant and unhelpful, leave it to the associated professionals to decide who does and doesn't deserve funding. Are you in a habit of making people feel bad about their insecurities :eyeball: ?
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
OP asked a question, they didn't ask for a critique of their circumstances. Your opinion is totally irrelevant and unhelpful, leave it to the associated professionals to decide who does and doesn't deserve funding. Are you in a habit of making people feel bad about their insecurities :eyeball: ?

Please read my entire post instead of being selective.
Generally, getting braces over the age of 18 is not free as usually it is for cosmetic reasons rather than the teeth affecting health/preventing someone from eating how something like a cleft lip would.
OP was already getting treatment, was careless and now is unhappy about the situation and needs to accept that they should pay for it.
Original post by Little Tail Chaser

It's not an irrelevant comment. When doing an assessment don't you think they will take into account the fact that OP has already had one treatment and didn't maintain it? Invisalign isn't a walk in the park, it needs to be worn for 22 hours a day for at least 6 months. When considering who is going to be given a free £2k+ treatment they are going to take into account that this is not the first time OP has failed to keep up with treatment maintenance and is now asking for a treatment that requires such a big commitment. None of these posts have shamed OP for feeling insecure about their teeth - the criticism has been that this person now wants a second free treatment for an aesthetic issue when they didn't appreciate the first free treatment anyway. We can't all have free braces, boob jobs, nose jobs, lipo - and certainly not when we've already had the luxury of a treatment free already, and definitely not with the NHS in its current financial state. What's unhelpful is people thinking because their parents pay tax they're entitled to free cosmetic treatment.
Can you contact your orthodontist and get new retainers? They may not fit well still but possibly worth a try- iirc they're about £60 each but some places might charge more, compared to having braces again though I'd say it's worth it. Mine gave me moulds of my teeth when I finished, don't know if that was normal but you should still be able to get new ones.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hmm you may get train tracks if you're lucky for free if you play the it's affecting my mental health thing but my mum paid a lot for her invisuline (quite a few thousand) so I'm pretty confident you won't get any kind of discount on those

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have just started my Invisalign. There is no way, even if you are under 18 that you would get it for free on the NHS. Invisalign is a private business in America, and therefore you got to pay for it I'm afraid.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Im pretty sure Invisalign is only supplied at private dental practices aswell.
(edited 7 years ago)
I dont know much into invisalign and I have read into it now however I am in the same situation. Wore braces, then had retainers, then my dog actually ate the retainers, got another pair of retainers and my dog chewed them up a bit again but I did not want to make my mum pay for another pair of retainers at the time as thats taking the piss you know leaving my retainers out again! anyway that cost £150 to replace them (I still have them although the ends are a bit chewed up lol) and had them for years however,did not wear them for a while now. When I did wear them though, my teeth actually started moving straight again within days and I am pretty sure retainers are the same thing as "invisalign" however retainers are like 50x cheaper. Literally this whole "invisalign" market is very sneaky and ridiculous (however I do understand it if people have not ever worn braces it might be appealing to them as the retainers would get changed constantly).

my advice... call your orthodontic, explain the situation. There is a possibility they may have your teeth mould when you took out your braces otherwise, say you had braces, and you had the retainers and you would like to get new retainers since your teeth are moving back. See what they will advise and maybe they will provide you with new retainers that they can slightly mould to more stragter shape that are pretty much invisalign that cost £150 instead of £2000. The best option basically is to call up your orthadontic that you were signed up with.

Im going to do the same as well as literally my old retainers are very out of date. I can keep you updated on what information I've gathered. :smile: Good luck.
Original post by infairverona
If you've already received free treatment and couldn't be bothered with the maintenance after, what makes you think you deserve another set of more expensive braces for free? This is not what the NHS is for. Pay for it yourself.

I’m 45 and thinking of getting invisible braces fitted, Which I will pay for Myself! Not on the NHS. However, due to cost also Aftercare I would make sure I Definitely wear retainers, its just Stupid if you think once the braces age off thats it!! I have a friend and her teeth were Terrible, like Really bad and all squint, she had braces fitted and her teeth were Amazing! She didnt look after that afterwards and now they are same as they were pre braces, horrible! What a waste, I wish I had Her money because I tell you, My teeth would remain Perfect if I am lucky enough to get them !!
Original post by Natashadesigner
I have just started my Invisalign. There is no way, even if you are under 18 that you would get it for free on the NHS. Invisalign is a private business in America, and therefore you got to pay for it I'm afraid.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Im pretty sure Invisalign is only supplied at private dental practices aswell.

You are correct, My Dental Practice is NHS and I get my Dental Treatment Free as I am out of work just now, but hope to be back in a month, But Invisalign is only available Privately! My Dentist Fits them but it’s £1100 for the Top only and £1800 for Top and Bottom!
Invasilgn is never free as it's company and won't be given to you on the NHS.
Braces are also only given fore free to people's who's teeth severity is over a certain grade- chances are yours won't be bad enough anymore.
Had you not had braces previously they may have considered it due to anxiety and all the other stuff you've mentioned, however you didn't take care of your retainers.

Quick Reply

Latest