The Student Room Group

Short, fat and stuck

Im 4 foot 10 and weigh just over 60 kilos. No matter what I do I just seem to get fatter and fatter. Problem is that most sites say that in order to lose weight I have to eat no more than 1200 calories per day. I know I could never stick to that. Its less than what a child eats.
Why is life so unfair? Why do I have to be so short and fat? :frown: :mad:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

watch your money and you watch your food. That's how I see it.
Original post by sherlockfan
Im 4 foot 10 and weigh just over 60 kilos. No matter what I do I just seem to get fatter and fatter. Problem is that most sites say that in order to lose weight I have to eat no more than 1200 calories per day. I know I could never stick to that. Its less than what a child eats.

I think you're perfect the way you are :colondollar:
I'm a 6'3 male and have eaten 1.2k calories per day for weeks to lose weight before.
Reply 4
heyyy short chubby people are cute :smile:
Reply 5
1200 calories is more than doable my friend.

Remember, you'll lose weight if you burn off more calories than you consume. You're always burning calories (sitting at the computer, taking a shower, etc..) but to accelerate this you need to exercise. Go to the gym or go for a run, the weather is perfect for a nice jog around the block. Make sure you eat lots of fruit and veg and stay away from sugary foods. That's what method I used to lose weight. I was 5 ft 3 and 63 KG. Now at 56KG
not about appearance its about ur personality:smile:
Original post by UWS
1200 calories is more than doable my friend.

Remember, you'll lose weight if you burn off more calories than you consume. You're always burning calories (sitting at the computer, taking a shower, etc..) but to accelerate this you need to exercise. Go to the gym or go for a run, the weather is perfect for a nice jog around the block. Make sure you eat lots of fruit and veg and stay away from sugary foods. That's what method I used to lose weight. I was 5 ft 3 and 63 KG. Now at 56KG

Children are supposed to eat 1500 calories, it's absurd.
I feel your pain OP. *I did manage to lose weight by being really strict and only consuming 1200 per day but it wasn't maintainable for me, and I gained it all back. *I think it would be better to try and do more exercise and eat a little bit more than that, but I find it hard to get the time.
Have you had blood tests to see if there's anythnig that's making you gain weight? I put on 30lbs in 3 months because my thyroid ****ed up.
Reply 10

Smash out the cardio. Buddy up with a mate if you can or join your local gym or better still grab a set of running shoes, some earphones and those armbands to hold your phone while you run and start with walks and build up to do a charity half marathon or something?

Diet on its own is no good.
Go for walks starting with 20 minutes a day and add 5 minutes every day until you built it to 2 hours
Original post by Sabertooth
Have you had blood tests to see if there's anythnig that's making you gain weight? I put on 30lbs in 3 months because my thyroid ****ed up.

I had my thyroid tested, it was fine last time it was checked.
Is there a solution if there is a thyroid problem?
Original post by ChkATM
Smash out the cardio. Buddy up with a mate if you can or join your local gym or better still grab a set of running shoes, some earphones and those armbands to hold your phone while you run and start with walks and build up to do a charity half marathon or something?

Original post by ODES_PDES
Diet on its own is no good.
Go for walks starting with 20 minutes a day and add 5 minutes every day until you built it to 2 hours

actually research has shown that diet is the most important thing for weight loss, not exercise.
Original post by Allie4
heyyy short chubby people are cute :smile:

looking like I'm 9 months pregnant isn't 'cute'.
I get it OP but it's about mind set, you have to really want it everyday when you wake up. Also exercise a lot! That motivates me to eat right.
Try margarine, works wonders and cheaper than oil lubricant.
try 1500 calories instead? surely that is still under maintenance. Also drink lots of water.

NO NO NO i am 5' 1" and if i was to lying in bed all day i would need 1400 calories. It all depends on you gender, how physical you are, and your BMI.
Short? Its not that bad. Fat? You can change that. Try things like CSIRO its a 'diet' but is brilliant and doesnt feel like one. I personnaly dont belive in diets because the majority dont work...
You should be happy with who you are... If your not (example- being 'fat') happy with your weight find a way of exercising that you enjoy and doesnt feel like a chore. :smile: feel free to PM/VM me
Reply 19
1200 is easily doable. If you are having problems with it then get an app and track every single thing that you eat for a few days and then eat at least 500 less.

I also found that having your meals at around the same time (+-30min) each day helps. Because 1, your body gets ready to digest it easier and 2, it gets used to getting food at that time so you don't get as hungry between meals.

Cut out sugar if you can, no sugary drinks, drink water instead. You can infuse it with fruit for more flavour.

Quick Reply

Latest