The Student Room Group

Changing insurance to firm but still using adjustment?

Hi all!

Recently I have changed my mind about wanting to go to my firm choice - they bumped the prices of the accommodation up by £750 a year (and didn't tell us which seems dodgy), they require us to move out every 8/10 weeks, there is no year abroad, and no ovens in the small kitchens - and so would want to go to my insurance.

As far as I know, if I want to change my firm now to my insurance I have to contact my insurance and firm and effectively ask my firm to, if I get the grades needed for them, accept me, then release me to clearing where my insurance would take me from (as UCAS is now closed for any changes).

The only issue with this is that there is another university which I originally had an offer for which I rejected (I didn't know how much I would get in student finance, prior to receiving that I didn't know if I could afford it, but now especially with the increase in accommodation price it would be better.). This university is slightly better ranked than my insurance and gave a higher offer, and mid June when I found out I could afford it better I contacted them and asked if I could change my firm to them. They said they were closed to changes but if I contacted them for adjustment then they might be able to fit me in.

My problem, therefore, is that I don't really want to go to my firm, but afaik if I choose somewhere in clearing (as would be with my insurance) I can't then change to another - so if I contact my insurance to swap now, I rule out any chance of going by adjustment to the other uni. If, on the other hand, I don't but I get the grades needed for my firm and the other uni says no, I would be stuck going to either my current firm, or having to shop around for another university place.

My question is, can I ask a uni if I can swap my firm and insurance and then look in adjustment? What would your suggestions and advice be in this situation.
(edited 7 years ago)
If you want to go to your insurance or elsewhere I think you have to ask your firm to release you and check with your insurance that they're in clearing for your course and happy to accept you.

If you want to use adjustment you have to meet or exceed your firm offer.

Not sure though so maybe wait for a few more responses. @PQ any thoughts?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Arrangements
Hi all!

Recently I have changed my mind about wanting to go to my firm choice - they bumped the prices of the accommodation up by £750 a year (and didn't tell us which seems dodgy), they require us to move out every 8/10 weeks, there is no year abroad, and no ovens in the small kitchens - and so would want to go to my insurance.

As far as I know, if I want to change my firm now to my insurance I have to contact my insurance and firm and effectively ask my firm to, if I get the grades needed for them, accept me, then release me to clearing where my insurance would take me from (as UCAS is now closed for any changes).

The only issue with this is that there is another university which I originally had an offer for which I rejected (I didn't know how much I would get in student finance, prior to receiving that I didn't know if I could afford it, but now especially with the increase in accommodation price it would be better.). This university is slightly better ranked than my insurance and gave a higher offer, and mid June when I found out I could afford it better I contacted them and asked if I could change my firm to them. They said they were closed to changes but if I contacted them for adjustment then they might be able to fit me in.

My problem, therefore, is that I don't really want to go to my firm, but afaik if I choose somewhere in clearing (as would be with my insurance) I can't then change to another - so if I contact my insurance to swap now, I rule out any chance of going by adjustment to the other uni. If, on the other hand, I don't but I get the grades needed for my firm and the other uni says no, I would be stuck going to either my current firm, or having to shop around for another university place.

My question is, can I ask a uni if I can swap my firm and insurance and then look in adjustment? What would your suggestions and advice be in this situation.

You're far too late to swap now (UCAS remove that ability towards the end of July).

At this point your only choices to go to your insurance (or elsewhere) (if you're expecting to meet and exceed your firm offer) are to use adjustment (which only gives you 5 days) or to ask your firm to place you into clearing.

If you've met your firm offer then your insurance will already be aware of that and may well have given your place to another applicant - once your firm place is confirmed your insurance has no obligation to hold space for you.
Reply 3
Original post by PQ
You're far too late to swap now (UCAS remove that ability towards the end of July).

At this point your only choices to go to your insurance (or elsewhere) (if you're expecting to meet and exceed your firm offer) are to use adjustment (which only gives you 5 days) or to ask your firm to place you into clearing.

If you've met your firm offer then your insurance will already be aware of that and may well have given your place to another applicant - once your firm place is confirmed your insurance has no obligation to hold space for you.

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

When I said swapping them I meant sort of in the manner on this page - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15483-changing-your-mind-about-your-firm-or-insurance-choice (point 5) - where I wouldn't technically be swapping them on UCAS but would be asking my firm and insurance if they could release me and accept me in clearing respectively. (Would the deadline for doing it that way have passed too now, as I assume they already have the exam results?) Alternatively, if I asked my firm to release me and got an offer in clearing to my insurance (afaik it is in clearing for that course).

My concern with this route was that if some how I did manage to get into it through this route, asking my insurance to get me in clearing, would I lose any chance of going through adjustment?

Thank you.
Original post by Arrangements
Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

When I said swapping them I meant sort of in the manner on this page - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15483-changing-your-mind-about-your-firm-or-insurance-choice (point 5) - where I wouldn't technically be swapping them on UCAS but would be asking my firm and insurance if they could release me and accept me in clearing respectively. (Would the deadline for doing it that way have passed too now, as I assume they already have the exam results?) Alternatively, if I asked my firm to release me and got an offer in clearing to my insurance (afaik it is in clearing for that course).

My concern with this route was that if some how I did manage to get into it through this route, asking my insurance to get me in clearing, would I lose any chance of going through adjustment?

Thank you.

You can't apply anywhere through Clearing until 3pm on the 18th. The option isn't available on Track (and you can only refer yourself in clearing once you have your results so if you're waiting for your results then you can't talk to universities about a clearing place).

If you exceed your firm offer then wait until results day and then enter adjustment. You can approach your insurance and the 3rd university about adjustment places before deciding if you want to take up offers at either (and this will be much more straight forward than arranging to be placed into clearing). If you don't exceed your firm offer then you'll need to talk to them on results day to arrange to be placed into clearing and then talk to your other universities about a place.
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
You can't apply anywhere through Clearing until 3pm on the 18th. The option isn't available on Track (and you can only refer yourself in clearing once you have your results so if you're waiting for your results then you can't talk to universities about a clearing place).

If you exceed your firm offer then wait until results day and then enter adjustment. You can approach your insurance and the 3rd university about adjustment places before deciding if you want to take up offers at either (and this will be much more straight forward than arranging to be placed into clearing). If you don't exceed your firm offer then you'll need to talk to them on results day to arrange to be placed into clearing and then talk to your other universities about a place.

Ok, thank you for your help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending