The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher Biology 2016/17

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Well we have to write up a first draft of our introduction, so the underlying biology, for the end of the week but I can barely get one good page of writing done relevant to the topic. Have you managed to find any links about the relevance of the investigation or something good to write down?
Original post by Bio 7
Well we have to write up a first draft of our introduction, so the underlying biology, for the end of the week but I can barely get one good page of writing done relevant to the topic. Have you managed to find any links about the relevance of the investigation or something good to write down?

Do a google scholar search for relevant literature. You may have issues accessing full text without a subscription. But if you find the doi number and enter here, you'l be able to get the pdf!

http://sci-hub.cc/
Reply 82
Thanks, I hadn't come across that site before. I have been getting stuck due to not getting to see plenty of material that seems to be relevant so it looks ike this will fix that problem. Much appreciated.
Original post by Asklepios
Do a google scholar search for relevant literature. You may have issues accessing full text without a subscription. But if you find the doi number and enter here, you'l be able to get the pdf!

http://sci-hub.cc/

Thank you thank you thank you lol u are a life saver
Reply 84
What are you doing with the shrimp? Im looking to do something that involves something marine?
Original post by kd138
What are you doing with the shrimp? Im looking to do something that involves something marine?

I'm not sure yet still talking about it with my teacher. It's either going to focus on reproduction or effect of different environmental condition.
Original post by kd138

Just thought I'd pop in as I did AH bio last year- I know someone who investigated the hatching rate of brine shrimp at varying salinities and temperatures
Original post by Treen98
Just thought I'd pop in as I did AH bio last year- I know someone who investigated the hatching rate of brine shrimp at varying salinities and temperatures

Do you know what they got for marks-wise?
Original post by Nuba123
Do you know what they got for marks-wise?

I don't but they got an A overall I think
Okay, thank you. x
Original post by Treen98
I don't but they got an A overall I think
My project results couldn't be worst...

Wbu guys?
Original post by ratata Guess who
My project results couldn't be worst...

Wbu guys?

We're going to start ours next week, so we shall see and remember, if the results aren't good this gives you plenty to say in the evaluation!
Original post by Nuba123
We're going to start ours next week, so we shall see and remember, if the results aren't good this gives you plenty to say in the evaluation!

I guess but I can't help the feeling I will get downgraded as they may think I was doing something wrong then :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I guess but I can't help the feeling I will get downgraded as they may think I was doing something wrong then :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Speak to your teacher if there is something you could change about the procedure? Is there anything that you could change?
Original post by Nuba123
Speak to your teacher if there is something you could change about the procedure? Is there anything that you could change?

Not really. I think I know what I am doing now though.

Got a rough idea at least! :smile:
I did my project on the effect of various pollutants at different concentrations on daphnia heart rate. I wouldn't recommend this, or a even similar topic, because it's extremely time-consuming! Counting the heartbeats of 100+ daphnia is a nightmare and repeating the investigation is torture. (Although I was the only one in my class who got an A overall).
Original post by habeas.corpus
I did my project on the effect of various pollutants at different concentrations on daphnia heart rate. I wouldn't recommend this, or a even similar topic, because it's extremely time-consuming! Counting the heartbeats of 100+ daphnia is a nightmare and repeating the investigation is torture. (Although I was the only one in my class who got an A overall).

Nice!!! Any advice then?
Nice!!! Any advice then?

The investigation doesn't have to be ground-breaking- mine certainly wasn't! Although my bio teacher did advise us that the SQA do particularly like projects which have some significance to the wider world. But avoid overly tenuous links or unsubstantiated claims.

I think the examiners are mostly looking for good scientific method and thoughtful and valid analysis of your data.

Also do not procrastinate and allow your experiment to go on many months. The majority of your time should be be studying and consolidating the rest of course for the exam.

The practical stage can be completed in two weeks if you use your free periods and stay after school. The way you analyse your data (vs what is actual data is) is what gets you your marks, so don't bother making up results to fit your initial hypothesis. Also it gives you more to write about if your predictions aren't 100% correct. My initial hypothesis was way off but my report received near full marks.
(edited 7 years ago)
Now that prelim time is fast approaching what is everyone predicting they'll get in the prelim?
And what is your aspirational grade?

I'm aiming for a B in the prelim, but I want an A in the final exam.
Original post by habeas.corpus
The investigation doesn't have to be ground-breaking- mine certainly wasn't! Although my bio teacher did advise us that the SQA do particularly like projects which have some significance to the wider world. But avoid overly tenuous links or unsubstantiated claims.

I think the examiners are mostly looking for good scientific method and thoughtful and valid analysis of your data.

Also do not procrastinate and allow your experiment to go on many months. The majority of your time should be be studying and consolidating the rest of course for the exam.

The practical stage can be completed in two weeks if you use your free periods and stay after school. The way you analyse your data (vs what is actual data is) is what gets you your marks, so don't bother making up results to fit your initial hypothesis. Also it gives you more to write about if your predictions aren't 100% correct. My initial hypothesis was way off but my report received near full marks.

Just paranoid because there is a word count this year and it's 3 whole blooming marks off straight away for going over... WAAAAAT

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending