The Student Room Group

A2 level results: did anyone else NOT do brilliantly?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ibraldo
Where are you studying Chemistry?

I was expecting AAB or in a worse case scenario ABC/BBC ended up getting BBD and everything about my results felt wrong, because i worked so hard. I worked extra hard for Mathematics so that i wouldn't get an A not a B, but life is unfair.
Warwick was my firm and Birmingham my insurance Both turned me down. I looked in clearing and saw that the MChem i applied for was in clearing so i called... and i called... and i called but no answer( i called them a total of 49 times).
In the end i decided to call other uni's but got turned down by Sussex,Surrey and Edinburgh so i called Cardiff and they accepted me instantly so MOST of the disappointment has gone down the drain.

hey congrats on getting that offer, I don't know a lot about Cardiff but From what I've seen it looks like a great uni! I'm studying chemistry at Sussex. what did you get in chemistry?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Last year I got CDD, I took a gap year to re-sit and this year I got CCC. I was only 1 ums away from achieving BCC which would have atleast got me into my insurance, but no matter how many times I called them up during clearing they were adamant to only take BCC. Luckily I managed to get into SOAS although I'm not entirely sure where i'll go from here since its a degree which I never otherwise had considered but it held some similarities to my first choice of geography.

Although I'm pretty disappointed, I don't think this year wast exactly a waste as I was in a better position than last year...

Original post by MastersGirl
I only got CCC in my A-Levels in 2012, and I have recently graduated with a 1st class degree and will be studying my postgraduate at Cambridge. Nothing is impossible.

I remember feeling like my life was over at the time, as even clearing universities were rejecting me. Just keep your head up and keep going!

If you don't mind me asking what and where did you study?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JohnGreek
I felt that I was cheated in my LITB3 exam, but whatevs. OCR grade boundaries were painfully high tho'

As do I, I did AQA for english but the LITB3 exam was marked very harshly and apparently the marking wasn't consistent around the country.
Reply 83
Original post by BisouX
BCE

I believed (I still believe) I am capable of far more than that. That is why I am resitting them in my gap year.

It was a tough year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same. Im retaking basically my whole A2 in 2017. I had 'problems' during exams so couldn't reach my potential. Really can't wait to prove my teachers and people who are doubting me wrong
Original post by zabveniye
I worked really hard, revised from the beginning of the year, and frequently got A grades on homework assignments, yet could not get higher than a C for overall A level results. :frown: Makes me really wish that I had taken a different course.

My A2 results are CCD in Biology, Geography and Mathematics respectively.

It's a little depressing seeing threads full of people who got all As and A*s or are disappointed with B grades. I'm not really complaining about them -- I understand it's disappointing not to quite reach your goals even if those goals are extremely high. But some of us found A levels particularly tough and had to work very hard just to scrape our passes.

Anyone else out there? I imagine generally people with grades like AAA are more inclined to post than those with lower passes like mine (CCD) but statistically not everyone can have gotten the very top grades.

Maybe seeing some threads like this in the mix will help some of the less high-achieving students feel less pressured, ashamed or alone

Please don't feel ashamed about it! I'm in the same position as you, having got 2 grades lower than what I was predicted (was meant to get A*A*AA and instead got BBCC) which severely hampers my chance of getting into any of the unis I wanted to apply to.

I, like some other commentors here, feel I was cheated with the way my papers were marked- I strongly felt my exams went better than the Es that apparently some of them are. And now my college is telling me not to bother asking for remarks or anything as the exam boards won't give them!
Original post by rhoxc
Was the BUU you got in A2 or As and if it was in A2 did you take a gap year and how many modules did u retake to pull up your grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't imagine anyone ever getting BUU At A2 old spec.

yeah AS - I wasn't doing further maths at the time. - I'm just stupid

I resat and still only got a B in economics - I know I can try harder and get the 3 A*s I really want
(edited 7 years ago)
Got ABC at AS in maths, physics and biology respectively and yet I ended up with CCD which sucks - I worked so hard that maybe it was too much. Biology was 1 mark off a C and maths was about 4 marks off a B:colondollar: Mentally drained half way though my 9 exams and once I had finished I nearly slept for a week and was just ill from stress for just over a month! To be fair I knew when I started A2 that I'm far from exam smart - I learn content like the back of my hand but I have poor written communication and just suffer with my anxiety badly:frown: not good at expressing my thoughts at all! I felt like I had the knowledge to get BAB but it's just the way it goes!

Luckily I'm off to UEA to do a foundation year in environmental science and then I can go onto my dream meteorology and oceanography course:u:

Quick Reply

Latest