The Student Room Group

Economics Applicants 2017

Scroll to see replies

[QUOTE="Jdyeti;70009726"]
Original post by Jdyeti
A2 predictions: Maths (A), Economics (A*), Physics (A), Psychology (A)
Uni applications: Oxford, LSE, UCL, Bath, Birmingham
GCSE: 9A*, 3A
Haven't yet heard anything from UCL, I have however heard from all of the others.

Same I haven't heard from UCL either fingers crossed
For all you guys patiently waiting for your last uni and getting frustrated by the time they are taking, spare a thought for me- I have no offers and facing the real prospect of getting no place at all this September! Applied on 15 October.

Economics unless stated:

Oxford (E&M): Rejected
LSE: Pending
UCL: Pending
Warwick: Pending
B'ham: Pending
Original post by Blueberry.89
For all you guys patiently waiting for your last uni and getting frustrated by the time they are taking, spare a thought for me- I have no offers and facing the real prospect of getting no place at all this September! Applied on 15 October.

Economics unless stated:

Oxford (E&M): Rejected
LSE: Pending
UCL: Pending
Warwick: Pending
B'ham: Pending

Exact same for first 4, but have an offer for Economics and Finance at Bristol which I got within like 30 hours of sending it off. Was told 5A's at AS would get me anywhere I wanted however it's really not looking very promising aha
Original post by ElGenioEstúpido
'Was' as in you won't be anymore? Is it an unconditional offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure, my firm (not Warwick) told me I don't have to resit so I might not. Warwick's is conditional on A*AA which I already have, but they never replied to my emails asking if I can drop my resits :dontknow:
[QUOTE="Jdyeti;70009726"]
Original post by Jdyeti
A2 predictions: Maths (A), Economics (A*), Physics (A), Psychology (A)
Uni applications: Oxford, LSE, UCL, Bath, Birmingham
GCSE: 9A*, 3A
Haven't yet heard anything from UCL, I have however heard from all of the others.

What did the others say?
(edited 7 years ago)
Warwick offer today :smile:
Who's going to the Nottingham visit day on Wednesday then?
Original post by felecita
I'm not sure, my firm (not Warwick) told me I don't have to resit so I might not. Warwick's is conditional on A*AA which I already have, but they never replied to my emails asking if I can drop my resits :dontknow:

Hey, congrats on your offers!

If your firm (Oxford) is unconditional, then why bother even asking your insurance choice (Warwick) whether you can drop or not? When you firm an unconditional offer, you won't need an insurance choice. :smile:
Original post by Fbiemad
Hey, congrats on your offers!

If your firm (Oxford) is unconditional, then why bother even asking your insurance choice (Warwick) whether you can drop or not? When you firm an unconditional offer, you won't need an insurance choice. :smile:

I wasn't 100% set on Oxford until recently (not sure I am now actually but oh well). Both of my offers were conditional on grades I already had, so I just emailed both at the same time. Oxford replied within a day, Warwick took a month and didn't even answer the actual question :lol:
Reply 649
Original post by theajoyce
Hey has anyone heard back from either Exeter or Bristol for Bsc Econ? Applied in early November with predicted grades AAA (my college is in the lowest 40% so i'll get a contextual offer from Bristol- if i get one haha). Thanks!

Have you heard back from exeter yet?
Course: Economics and Finance
Has anyone else got this course at Leeds or Loughborough? My grade requirements are AAA and AAB respectively. I have no idea which one I should firm at this point as they both have their good points

Anyone from MY here too?
Original post by Youngkeynes
Warwick offer today :smile:

What were your AS level results?
Reply 652
This is a bit unrelated to the forum but I couldn't really find a related forum, so sorry in advance.
I'm at the end of year 12 now and now considering potential university courses; my a levels are biology, chemistry and maths. Originally, I was convinced that i wanted to study medicine, but now realise that it doesn't really interest me; in fact, I have found that I am a lot less interested in science subjects than I used to be, and I am more interested in economics now. I'm considering studying it at uni, and think I may apply for it, especially due to good graduate prospects (and I want to work in finance) and salary (as opposed to a bio degree- poor salary and prospects) but I am worried that the better unis will not offer me a place as I have no a level essay subjects. I would probably apply to Bristol,
Bath, Surrey, Exeter and maybe Loughborough (and feel I can achieve A*AA) So, to conclude, is there any advice anyone could give me regarding likely hood of receiving offers from these unis, and is my concern about essay subjects justified? Thanks
Original post by ETAE
This is a bit unrelated to the forum but I couldn't really find a related forum, so sorry in advance.
I'm at the end of year 12 now and now considering potential university courses; my a levels are biology, chemistry and maths. Originally, I was convinced that i wanted to study medicine, but now realise that it doesn't really interest me; in fact, I have found that I am a lot less interested in science subjects than I used to be, and I am more interested in economics now. I'm considering studying it at uni, and think I may apply for it, especially due to good graduate prospects (and I want to work in finance) and salary (as opposed to a bio degree- poor salary and prospects) but I am worried that the better unis will not offer me a place as I have no a level essay subjects. I would probably apply to Bristol,
Bath, Surrey, Exeter and maybe Loughborough (and feel I can achieve A*AA) So, to conclude, is there any advice anyone could give me regarding likely hood of receiving offers from these unis, and is my concern about essay subjects justified? Thanks

Why aren't you applying to universities like Warwick, Durham and St. Andrews?
Bath and Exeter are good choices and I guess you could apply to one or two out of Surrey, Bristol and Loughborough.
Reply 654
Original post by KaashniM
Why aren't you applying to universities like Warwick, Durham and St. Andrews?
Bath and Exeter are good choices and I guess you could apply to one or two out of Surrey, Bristol and Loughborough.
Thanks for the reply. The reason I wouldn't apply to those universities is because of the whole essay subject thing I mentioned, i feel like they would probably reject me due to my a levels showing fairly narrow ability (no essay components) and they don't really show any economic ability either.
Original post by ETAE
Thanks for the reply. The reason I wouldn't apply to those universities is because of the whole essay subject thing I mentioned, i feel like they would probably reject me due to my a levels showing fairly narrow ability (no essay components) and they don't really show any economic ability either.

The thing you seem to forget is economics is a weird subject. Yes it is true you get the humanitarians with the history and essays. BUT you also get the scientists. Economics is weird because you need both "mindsets" the essay analytical skills and the quantitative skills. You have the quantitative skills from your subjects. So what if you don't have an essay subject. I do know people who got into Warwick for pure econ with maths physics and chemistry. As long as you show you are genuinely interested and are interesting to teach they will have you. So honestly please apply to Warwick (acc don't because it's my first choice and I don't need to competition 😝). As long as you have that A prediction in maths (which is the only subject you need in all "good" unis) you have as much of a chance as the humanitarian. I'm an economics applicant 2018 as well and if you need help with a PS or don't know which books to read honestly just PM me good luck and I hope AS went well x
Reply 656
Original post by ChrisP97
Hey everyone, I went through the 2016 economics application process, so feel free to ask me any questions. I ultimately applied to LSE, Warwick, Birmingham, UCL, & Nottingham. I received offers from the latter 2 (withdrew application from Birmingham).

What made you withdraw from Birmingham?
Reply 657
GCSES: 7A* 5A
A Level (predicted): AAA

I have looked at exeter and Birmingham but am really struggling which to choose! Would also like to look at Nottingham, but which would people recommend for economics? Is the difference in league tables and employability really that significant? Which other unis should I consider? Is an epq necessary?
Original post by FIN4
GCSES: 7A* 5A
A Level (predicted): AAA

I have looked at exeter and Birmingham but am really struggling which to choose! Would also like to look at Nottingham, but which would people recommend for economics? Is the difference in league tables and employability really that significant? Which other unis should I consider? Is an epq necessary?

consider nottingham, durham, manchester

an epq is never necessary but it can substantially help your application because
a) You could receive lower grade requirements
b) essay writing skills are vital in uni
c) its a brilliant way to explore an area of your potential uni course and then mention it in your application
d) it can be time consuming, tedious, mundane and you can feel like you're being drowned by all the paperwork but you'll be so thrilled you actually survived it

in terms of employability, search for Highfliers report pdf on google. It's a report by a company that surveys the 100 top graduate employers to find out what sectors are in demand / not and a bunch of other useful employability figures. Theres a list that describes the top 20 universities these employers recruit from which I found tremendously helpful.

http://www.highfliers.co.uk/download/2017/graduate_market/GMReport17.pdf

Also as a side note, I was offered a place at st andrews for econ and it was going to be my firm before I visited. However when I arrived, I found out that because it is so secluded (from london), few employers do career fairs and I felt the uni was almost out of touch with fast paced recruitment because of this. In addition the entire structure of the economics course is changing from 2017, with new professors/head of faculty. I didn't want to be the guinea pig class so I declined their offer in favour of durham and notts.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 659
Thank you for your reply!! Unfortunately I do not think I am Durham material, but being from bristol, durham and Manchester are slightly too far. My difficulty with epq is that I know I am going to hate it and exeter do not even consider it in admissions! I have done the access to bristol economics course so hope this helps show my interest, as I do nit do economics at a level. Currently my first choices would be Birmingham Exeter and Nottingham but I cannot decide! Although I loved Exeter and it ranks highest, I am worried the cuty itself may be boring and it is less employable. Does anyone know if this is the case? The fact it is on the top 20 makes me think the difference between a few places on the employability is small, but is this really true?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending