The Student Room Group

Work or Loan for MSc

Hey all,

I have been thinking about the following predicament for quite a while and I really could do with some unbiased advice.

I want to enter the field of global health epidemiology and would like to study for an MSc in the netherlands, which not only offers a wonderful and reputable programme, but also charges just 2000 euro for it.

Now, I am 100% sure that this is the field I want having had experience in it and many other fields of science/health. However, I do NOT have the money, like most people.

I will be 21 graduating with my BSc- so quite young and thus, time is not an issue. I am however, eager to move on from biomedical science and into this field.

I have the following finance options and could really do with some help in choosing which to go for:

1) AIB loan specific to some graduates- offering 10,000 euro with 1year deferred payments. End up with instalments of 200/month for 5 years after the masters.

2) Year out to work- hopefully in the pharmaceutical sector, where I have a connection who is 80% sure they can get me a job.

3) A paid Masters by research which has been offered to me. Would be paid at the rate of 19,000 (tax free) for the year. I would like to stress that while the area of research is not awful, it is NOT what I am interested in- I would merely be treating it as a guaranteed job with the added bonus of a qualification.

Which would you all go for? Would the extra MRes be favourable in the future as opposed to working in the pharma sector for a year (offers about 4000 euro for the year). Or would i better to take the loan and get cracking in the desired field?

Look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Ps. I'm Irish so all above is in euro and we don't not have a loan system for everyone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending