The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Which subject are you currently enjoying the most? Which exam board is it?

At the moment, I really like maths (AQA) and food and nutrition (AQA). They've both been my favourite subjects since Year 8, but I am actually enjoying the content, unlike subjects like physics or computer science, which I find a little tedious.
Hi there! I'm shifting from the Indian CBSE board to the GCSE board as of September this year, into Year 10! I'm pretty excited, I get to choose my GCSE subjects tonight and I hope to make many new friends in my new school! :biggrin:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by MartynaJP6
Hello! My name is Martyna, I'm currently in Year 10 and just started the new GCSE courses in all my subjects.

I like reading, exercising, going swimming and often just checking the internet and starting wars with people, because lets be real, that's always fun. :tongue:

Im doing:
English language
English literature
Maths
French(AQA)
RE(Edexcel)
History
Triple science(AQA)
Polish(AQA)

Not sure about all the courses, sorry :smile:

I don't know if I'm ready! Obviously we're all the guinea pigs, first to actually do the new GCSE in all subjects! It will obviously be harder, and there's no point in past papers now, it'll all be different! :frown:

My favourite subjects are Biology, Chemistry, English literature and also French. I like history but wouldn't consider it a favourite.

Since I was 7, I knew I wanted to be a doctor. I am very interested in Medicine and it would be my biggest dream come true if I got the grades to study it. If it doesn't work out, I'll definitely consider English literature, I find it so interesting!

Well I'm already in Year 10, and its a LOT harder than last year. No playing games anymore, this is the real thing! I've always studied at home since I started Year 7 so I find that helps me with studying this year.

FLASHCARDS!! One of the best revision methods I've used, it never lets me down. It's hands down my favourite method for learning keywords, terms and equations.

Year 10 is not hard.
Original post by Jeana99
Year 10 is not hard.

Yeah it is when you're doing 4 GCSEs early 🙂
Original post by Sardonic Zarah
Yeah it is when you're doing 4 GCSEs early 🙂

I wish my school gave me the chance to do four GCSE's early at least that would have reduced the pressure and workload I faced during year 11 as I had to sit all 10 of my GCSE's in year 11. GCSE's are not hard as long as you work hard and even if you don't and maybe slack of a bit you can still pass they are easy. I ended up with 6B's and 4C's (old spec GCSE's) with minimal revision.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Jeana99
I wish my school gave me the chance to do four GCSE's early at least that would have reduced the pressure and workload I faced during year 11 as I had to sit all 10 of my GCSE's in year 11. GCSE's are not hard as long as you work hard and even if you don't and maybe slack of a bit you can still pass they are easy. I ended up with 6B's and 4C's (old spec GCSE's) with minimal revision.

I'm so glad I had the opportunity to. It means I can really focus on my core subjects in year 11
Did anyone take the AQA English Literature exam on the 22nd and 26th of May? If you did, how did you find it? :smile:
Anyone know what the extract for the English Language paper 1 on 6th June going to be about ?
Original post by mayu123
Anyone know what the extract for the English Language paper 1 on 6th June going to be about ?

Obviously not
Reply 989
Original post by crybabynessie
Which subject are you currently enjoying the most? Which exam board is it?

At the moment, I really like maths (AQA) and food and nutrition (AQA). They've both been my favourite subjects since Year 8, but I am actually enjoying the content, unlike subjects like physics or computer science, which I find a little tedious.

truss me maths is actually enjoyable now.
what grades are you getting for maths now and what mark?
Original post by forre
truss me maths is actually enjoyable now.
what grades are you getting for maths now and what mark?

Mostly like, 80 - 90%, around grade 7/8/9. What about you?
Reply 991
Mostly like, 80 - 90%, around grade 7/8/9. What about you?

Most of the times I get around 60% which is definitely not good enough 😢😢 60% should be around a 6 right?
Original post by forre
Most of the times I get around 60% which is definitely not good enough 😢😢 60% should be around a 6 right?

Yes, I think so but we have no real idea of the actual grade boundaries until the results for the 9-1 maths come out this summer.

Still, 6 is a good grade and if you want improve there is still tons of time as I'm guessing you're in year 10. I would recommend getting the CGP 9-1 revision guide and using sites like www.mymaths.co.uk and www.mathsgenie.co.uk to practice and understand the concepts.
Reply 993
Yes, I think so but we have no real idea of the actual grade boundaries until the results for the 9-1 maths come out this summer.

Still, 6 is a good grade and if you want improve there is still tons of time as I'm guessing you're in year 10. I would recommend getting the CGP 9-1 revision guide and using sites like www.mymaths.co.uk and www.mathsgenie.co.uk to practice and understand the concepts.

yeah im already using mymaths, its seriously underrated by people here though,
a 6 is good but since i wanna do maths at a level i need to get atleast a 8/9 by the end of year 11, well for now im aiming for a 7.
1000'th reply. Im not year 10
i did my actual english language GCSE paper 1 and now tomorrow i have my paper 2 :smile:

Wish me Luck :smile: :wink:
Original post by mayu123
i did my actual english language GCSE paper 1 and now tomorrow i have my paper 2 :smile:

Wish me Luck :smile: :wink:

Same- good luck today. How do you think paper 1 went. I think I did okay on questions 1-4 but I don't think I've done very well on question 5
Reply 997
I have English Language and Biology exams on Monday.

English Language is two hours long, I think it's paper 2 (the terrible exam timetable I've been given doesn't even specify which paper but seeing as its 2 hours long it'll probably be paper 2 right?). I believe my English board is Edexcel. Anyone know any revision papers that are good for this?

Biology is AQA, I'm doing triple science and my teacher says that my test is very difficult and there are a lot of questions where applying knowledge is key and normal subject knowledge is not enough.

If anyone can help me find practice questions for these types of questions I would really appreciate it. My teacher did not give us the subjects we need for this test but on the AQA wesbite it says that Cell biology, Organisations and Infection + Response is what will come up.

Good luck to everyone who's also going to do their mock exams now.
anyone have notes for the 3 science's??? Currently doing mocks, only got told what to revise a week ago and i have 8 exams next week. Stressing so much!
Original post by sxhxl
anyone have notes for the 3 science's??? Currently doing mocks, only got told what to revise a week ago and i have 8 exams next week. Stressing so much!
My mocks start on the 26th June... I do triple science and I've been doing loads of mindmaps and practice questions from revision guides, and then when I'm not doing anything useful I try and recollect the information. It seems to help...

Latest