The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

karsey
Which area of law do you find more fascinating to study then others?

Who?
Reply 41
Lucid87

Wings- yes, 'preferably' could be used, but i deemed 'favourably' to be more suitable to effect a sense implying 'to one's greater advantage'- that is one for the excessive pedants.

I consider myself a pedant and 'favourably' is not an alternative in that context; it's just wrong.
Reply 42
Thanks 'Marky_B' + 'Muncrun' for your posts…
J-Z, I wouldn't personally consider it an advantage to apply such meticulous rules to language and label myself an 'excessive pedant' in this area. To have such exactness and preciseness would mean everyone would have to attach the same semantics to each word; general rules are acceptable, indeed vital, but not those creating an impractical elite standard. It's just communication, that's the object, there's no need for linguistic derogation :wink: .
Reply 43
You say that it is just communication and yet you still use complicated words when simpler ones would suffice in nearly all your posts.
Marky_B
You've done it again. To you speak verbally that way?

Was this deliberate?

You lot must be bored if you're criticising each other's English like this. This is going OT.
Reply 45
personally Im just bored
Reply 46
Lucid87
J-Z, I wouldn't personally consider it an advantage to apply such meticulous rules to language and label myself an 'excessive pedant' in this area. To have such exactness and preciseness would mean everyone would have to attach the same semantics to each word; general rules are acceptable, indeed vital, but not those creating an impractical elite standard. It's just communication, that's the object, there's no need for linguistic derogation :wink: .

Sorry, Lucid87, but you ironically fail to communicate your ideas fully because you lack precision.
Reply 47
Altho this is very comical..which it REALLY is.. seriously.. If u ever (for example) try and moot with such a complex and almost enigmatic style.. it's going to cause you grievances.
Reply 48
It is rather comical, isn't it. I think law forum posters should dedicate their time towards more interesting/worthy issues.
Therefore, I'll try to settle this issue (without exonerating myself): I don't think it's my writing style as such, but more my choice of specific words which cause ambiguity. When I write in this forum, my mind is not 'set in stone' or certain about the common lines taken on the issues discussed, I just have a number of nebulous-like ideas- hence the elusiveness of my language (sorry).
Having my language as the focus of discussion goes against my intentions for constructive debate. I realise I'll have to communicate in a more accessible and concise way, albeit still trying to avoid expressing definitiveness, but nevertheless in a manner which is perceived at less pompous.
Happy posting
Reply 49
Hits the nail on the head.
tomcoolinguk

The sad fact is most people have fallen into these traps. Such people are often identified by the fact that they have toyed with the idea of studying medicine- despite the fact that it is a totally different career!

Lol... just seen a post in Careers entitled 'Medicine or Law'
Reply 51
Lucid87
It is rather comical, isn't it. I think law forum posters should dedicate their time towards more interesting/worthy issues.
Therefore, I'll try to settle this issue (without exonerating myself): I don't think it's my writing style as such, but more my choice of specific words which cause ambiguity. When I write in this forum, my mind is not 'set in stone' or certain about the common lines taken on the issues discussed, I just have a number of nebulous-like ideas- hence the elusiveness of my language (sorry).
Having my language as the focus of discussion goes against my intentions for constructive debate. I realise I'll have to communicate in a more accessible and concise way, albeit still trying to avoid expressing definitiveness, but nevertheless in a manner which is perceived at less pompous.
Happy posting

Do you speak how you write?
Reply 52
coz it is interesting and i love the subject
How does one be "nebulous-like"? In fact, how does one be "like" an adjective at all? Is it not enough to simply have the adjective apply to you?

Word Of The Day toilet paper is nice as a comedy gift but the trick is to read it and then flush it away, not type it out online.
Reply 54
colemanballs
How does one be "nebulous-like"? In fact, how does one be "like" an adjective at all? Is it not enough to simply have the adjective apply to you?

Word Of The Day toilet paper is nice as a comedy gift but the trick is to read it and then flush it away, not type it out online.

:confused:
Reply 55
colemanballs

Hehe. That made me laugh - a lot. Anyway, do you know yet if you're coming to Birmingham in September?
Reply 56
Ahem. Just read your post on the Birmingham sub-forum. Congratulations. See you around in September. :smile:
muncrun
Hehe. That made me laugh - a lot. Anyway, do you know yet if you're coming to Birmingham in September?

I do indeed! An email from the lovely Sarah Jones informed me that I will be joining the School this September. :biggrin:

Or, in the style of Lucid87 -

Yes it is in the definitive affirmative for certain. An electronical communication missive derived from the singular Sarah Jones detailed and dictated to my understanding that I will depart this current location to arrive the proposed place afore-mentioned this year after August but preceding October. Conflagration sui generis libertorium arboles einfach Fernsehen!

Latest

Trending

Trending