The Student Room Group
University of York
York
Reply 1
With a History degree definitely. All my friends who did history either had a part time job or were just too lazy to apply for one and slept most of the day instead.
University of York
York
Eight hours is not a lot of time - one day, or 2 part days, that's all. You should be able to manage it if it's what you want to do!
Reply 3
rali2000
I might be studying history at York this October as a first year student. I'll also be starting work at an Orange store this October as well. I'll have to work 8 hours during the weekends. Do you think it's possible to juggle work and York uni?

Yeah. Completely fine. I would have done it if I didn't do so much drama/wasn't so lazy. It's a very good idea, especially in the first year.
Reply 4
Well I was told at the open day that basically everybody in the department was doing part-time work.
Reply 5
Yep, you'll have plenty of time. Not an issue. If you were doing electronics on the other hand...
Reply 6
Definitely. I've managed to work 14 hours a week at Marks & Spencer (albeit my course is Educational Studies) and due to me putting in the work my degree hasn't suffered! If it ever was likely to do so though I'd just resign, degree > working part-time. :smile:
Reply 7
oh god yes, put it this way, you will be working more hours then you have lectures.
Reply 8
I know hardly any people doing History with jobs but you do certainly have the time to have one.
Im hoping to do History this september and Im going to try get a part time job aswell. Everyone else I know at uni also has a part time job, except those at Cambridge because your not allowed jobs in term time.
Reply 10
For history it's definitely do-able, and in fact without you might get a little bored!

But i some subjects are heavier on the time-table, particularly electronics first year. You'd only have time for a weekend shift on that course, otherwise you'd be missing lots of contact time. I doubt even a pub job would work because most mornings (in fact every morning in my first year) you'll have a 9.15 lecture or lab.
Reply 11
I do history (2nd year, starting 3rd next year) - I have a job (usually about 15 hours a week). Not a problem. You have so much time to spend reading that you can usually spend some of it working. I mean seriously, you'll have 6 hours of contact time a week.
Reply 12
Poica
I do history (2nd year, starting 3rd next year) - I have a job (usually about 15 hours a week). Not a problem. You have so much time to spend reading that you can usually spend some of it working. I mean seriously, you'll have 6 hours of contact time a week.

;yes;

hehe - You didn't think I was doing History for nothing? :wink: I'm actually very slightly concerned that there won't be enough work, but Beer can help to fill the time :smile:
Reply 13
I wouldn't worry about there not being enough work. If you get bored there is always more to be done - very few of even the most conscientious people read the entire reading list every week. Or...even once.

Latest

Trending

Trending