The Student Room Group

Can I get a day release from my full time job through some kind of scheme?

So I’m from the UK 🇬🇧 and currently in full time work doing 39 hours a week mon-fri and I’m wanting to possibly go back to college part time to get my HNC in fabrication and welding or in mechanical engineering (I haven’t decided yet).

The main issue is I’ve never done anything like this before or know of anyone who has done this before. I’m basically wanting to know if there is any kind of policy at all that requires my employer to allow me to have a day release for 1 day per week to attend the college course (I work 7.30am-4pm ) as I can’t afford to quit my job just to attend college for a full year as it would cripple me financially.

I know it may seem like a dumb question but I’m just looking for some simple advice as I would really like to take the next step in my career and possibly move up the ladder.

TIA
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by Genomcque23
So I’m from the UK 🇬🇧 and currently in full time work doing 39 hours a week mon-fri and I’m wanting to possibly go back to college part time to get my HNC in fabrication and welding or in mechanical engineering (I haven’t decided yet).

The main issue is I’ve never done anything like this before or know of anyone who has done this before. I’m basically wanting to know if there is any kind of policy at all that requires my employer to allow me to have a day release for 1 day per week to attend the college course (I work 7.30am-4pm ) as I can’t afford to quit my job just to attend college for a full year as it would cripple me financially.

I know it may seem like a dumb question but I’m just looking for some simple advice as I would really like to take the next step in my career and possibly move up the ladder.

TIA

I suggest you read Training and study at work: your rights. It details the criteria which must be met in order for you to have the right to request time-off to study. For example, you must have been employed by your employer for at least 26 weeks, the training must be of benefit to the employer (i.e. it must must help you do your job better), and at least 250 people must work within the organisation.

The employer is obliged to accept the request except in certain scenarios. Unfortunately, it's a long list of scenarios. E.g. "they would not be able to meet customer demands" or "it would damage quality and business performance".

Have a read, and see what you think.
I think realistically it's going to be very difficult to force your employer to give you that time off, as per the above. You're probably realistically going to be best off trying to ask them to do so and spin it as something they will make money from you doing. Alternatively see if you can switch to working part-time or flexibly somehow.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending