The Student Room Group

Keele medicine 2017

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Billy_Boi
Did you put anything for section 4? Exceptional achievements?

yes, have you?
Have you submitted yours?
are you an alevel student?
Original post by eemooz
yes, have you?
Have you submitted yours?
are you an alevel student?

I've submitted it, but don't have any exceptional achievements. And yes A-Level Student
Hey im an international student and so far i only got the R&R form but apparently i don't have to do it since im international. I was wondering if anyone get any other emails? like a student number or account sign up kind of stuff?
Hi has anyone got an interview yet please? Heard from Cardiff now but not Keele. :frown: Thanks.
Original post by Mousiebrown
Hi has anyone got an interview yet please? Heard from Cardiff now but not Keele. :frown: Thanks.

I haven't heard from either yet :frown:

Are you an A level student or graduate??

Posted from TSR Mobile
A level. I think they only started sending them out today. Good luck.
Reply 46
Graduate applicant but current Keele student as well - I love the uni so much I want to stay for another 5 years :P Haven't heard anything yet but if anyone has any questions about the uni or campus itself I'm happy to answer them :smile:
Reply 47
Original post by abzdabz
Graduate applicant but current Keele student as well - I love the uni so much I want to stay for another 5 years :P Haven't heard anything yet but if anyone has any questions about the uni or campus itself I'm happy to answer them :smile:

whats your fav and least fav things about keele??
Original post by abzdabz

Hi I am on a gap year as applied to the wrong unis last year and did not get even an interview. Applying with my strengths this time and with achieved A Levels of AAAA and UKCAT 660. I am working as a full time health care assistant so had plenty to write on the R&R form.

I have no idea what Keele is like although I know that the medicine course is highly rated. If at interview they ask Why Keele ? What should I say ?
Reply 49
Original post by eemooz
whats your fav and least fav things about keele??

I would say as Keele is a small uni, there's more opportunity. When I started as a fresher, I tried a sport that I had never played before and loved it, the next year I was able to become women's team captain. You're always bumping in to people you know around campus and it feels like its own community. Although I get the impression from Medical Students that they do feel a bit isolated from that as the med school is away from the rest of campus, they have their own study areas, cafe etc and of course, there's the teaching areas at the hospital so they don't always come into the middle of campus. That said, I see plenty of people around with the blue 'med student' lanyards so they do venture out sometimes!

At the moment my least favourite thing is the increase in numbers. They are building more accommodation to try and house all these extra students they're taking but parking is an issue so although I have a car, I can't park on campus so I have to walk/take the bus. People occasionally have to share accommodation at the beginning of term until they can sort it all out and the lecture theatres are becoming more crowded and mean we end up in rooms that aren't really suitable (I have even heard reports of people sitting on floors in some courses due to lack of space). Again, that being said, med students do have some exclusivity in that. They have higher priority for accommodation and parking permits and there is still a cap on med student numbers so sometimes I think the med school will feel like a completely different uni!

So although not completely helpful from a med student's perspective, I hope that gives you some insight into Keele!
Reply 50
Original post by BadLashes
Hi I am on a gap year as applied to the wrong unis last year and did not get even an interview. Applying with my strengths this time and with achieved A Levels of AAAA and UKCAT 660. I am working as a full time health care assistant so had plenty to write on the R&R form.

I have no idea what Keele is like although I know that the medicine course is highly rated. If at interview they ask Why Keele ? What should I say ?

It's hard to answer as I first applied to Keele because I just had a gut feeling about it. Then I went to the offer holders open day and that feeling was just made stronger. From my experience from applying to med schools as a school leaver, I would say, do your research, they like when you've looked into the uni but be able to back-up what you say. I had that exact question in one of my interviews so I quoted a statistic from their prospectus about the research they conduct there. But the interviewer then probed me on why I think research is important. They want to see you're genuine. So if you're really into Harry Potter and you've seen that Keele has a Harry Potter Society (which we do and they're pretty cool!) then say when you've looked at the university you're really interested in joining societies such as Harry Potter... Of course, if that doesn't interest you, then don't talk about it in case you get probed further and you get yourself into a bit of a hole!!

But in a way, you've answered your own question. You applied because it's highly rated. You can look at what aspects it's highly rated and why that's important to you. For me for example, I know Keele has a high student satisfaction and that's reflected in the med students I know, they're all really happy with their course. But if research or high graduate employment or range on SSCs or inter calculation opportunities are important to you, I would talk about those :smile:
Original post by abzdabz
I would say as Keele is a small uni, there's more opportunity. When I started as a fresher, I tried a sport that I had never played before and loved it, the next year I was able to become women's team captain. You're always bumping in to people you know around campus and it feels like its own community. Although I get the impression from Medical Students that they do feel a bit isolated from that as the med school is away from the rest of campus, they have their own study areas, cafe etc and of course, there's the teaching areas at the hospital so they don't always come into the middle of campus. That said, I see plenty of people around with the blue 'med student' lanyards so they do venture out sometimes!

At the moment my least favourite thing is the increase in numbers. They are building more accommodation to try and house all these extra students they're taking but parking is an issue so although I have a car, I can't park on campus so I have to walk/take the bus. People occasionally have to share accommodation at the beginning of term until they can sort it all out and the lecture theatres are becoming more crowded and mean we end up in rooms that aren't really suitable (I have even heard reports of people sitting on floors in some courses due to lack of space). Again, that being said, med students do have some exclusivity in that. They have higher priority for accommodation and parking permits and there is still a cap on med student numbers so sometimes I think the med school will feel like a completely different uni!

So although not completely helpful from a med student's perspective, I hope that gives you some insight into Keele!

Hi

Some really great insight from @abzdabz there - thank you!

You're right - with more students here the campus does feel busier - we're building 450 new en-suite bedrooms close to the School of Medicine at the moment.
As a campus university, we do have a limit on the number of cars we can physically allow on campus, and we encourage sustainable travel choices as much as possible as part of our environmental policy. However, students who study courses where placements are necessary, such as Medicine, nursing and physiotherapy, are guaranteed a parking permit, and pay a reduced permit rate.

Societies are a great way for Med students to integrate with the rest of the student population, and many are also involved in volunteering and raising money for charity, working with a wide variety of students from across the university. Last year our Student of the Year was a med student who captained a sports team AND chaired a fundraising society - they do tend to keep themselves busy!

If you've got any questions, we've got a small team here to help, so ask away. You can also check out all of the info for applicants here: https://www.keele.ac.uk/medicine/mbchb5years/applicantsarea/

Hope that helps,

Sam - Digital Team
Original post by abzdabz
:smile:

Thanks Very Helpful
Hey Guys
So I've applied to this college (MBBS/MbChb) Just wanted to ask the students/alumni from these schools a few questions. Please answer them, it will really help me!!
1. How is the faculty/teaching?
2. What about the life? Is there a lot of stress and competition? Also hows the social life?
3. How is the city?
4. How is the PBL?
Thanks a lot guys!!
does anyone know when they start sending out interviews?
Original post by Boo_Ayres13
does anyone know when they start sending out interviews?

Well I emailed then, They start handing them out late November, but it could be going into the new year, hope it helps :smile: have you got anything from anywhere else yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 56
Its already late november, so we should expect to hear something this week?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by a209150
Its already late november, so we should expect to hear something this week?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hope so 🙊 Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58
Thank you, All the best to you too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 59
Hey, hope that you applications are going as you'd hoped!

Has anyone heard back from Keele yet? It seems like this is the only University that still hasn't send out responses?:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending