The Student Room Group

Using a Computer in an exam (history)

Hello All,

I am new to this website, but I am in Y 11 this year, and have a question.

In my school, certain people are allowed to use a computer in their exams, notably the history exam. Everyone knows that the history exam requires lots of writing and time management is a big aspect of the exam.

These people are allowed to use their laptops because they have a 'disability', and the disability is bad handwriting.... completely debilitating I know.. Anyway, I'm not very happy with it, as it clearly gives them an advantage considering they're able to write up to 3 times faster than a person writing on paper can!

My questions are if anyone knows whether or not the school is even allowed to 'segregate' people like this simply based off of bad handwriting.. I thought the rule was if you have a disability like dyslexia you could use a computer? Also, is it seriously fair to let people have such an advantage? Or do you not think it's an advantage at all?
You will probably see when exam season comes around most will not have access arrangements granted as JCQ requires evidence for laptop use. (I used a laptop for most of my exams and have finished GCSE's)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
In order to be allowed to use a laptop in an exam it has to be your usual way of working in class. An application has to be made by your school's SENCO or exams officer, and usually it's not just a case of messy writing.
Reply 3
AQA A2 history exams are the most fun for writing

90 marks in 90 minutes hue
Original post by LoofMan
AQA A2 history exams are the most fun for writing

90 marks in 90 minutes hue

I'm looking forward to doing that! 😅
Reply 5
It's buckets of fun trust me i'm sure you'll love the painful cramp after
Reply 6
Original post by Eric_TS
My questions are if anyone knows whether or not the school is even allowed to 'segregate' people like this simply based off of bad handwriting.. I thought the rule was if you have a disability like dyslexia you could use a computer? Also, is it seriously fair to let people have such an advantage? Or do you not think it's an advantage at all?

Students whose 'normal way of working' is using a computer, i.e. they use a computer in the majority of their lessons. can use a word processor in exams. If they don't do that then they are not allowed one for exams. No other evidence is necessary but they are only allowed basic word processing functions, i.e. no spell checking. I do think it provides an advantage for proficient typists, but those are the rules.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest