The Student Room Group

English applicants 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by littlemix012
How's the course at Manchester? I was going to apply there but I'd rather do a course in both English language and linguistics, am pretty sure Manchester doesn't offer that

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's great,I'm really enjoying it! I wanted to do English language and linguistics too but Manchester offers them separately. However, if you pick English language and pick only the English/linguistics modules they give you the choice to change your degree title to 'English language and linguistics'.
If you think about it, your course and my course both want AAB and they were lenient to me so what's stopping them being lenient to you? I didn't do great at AS, I got:

English language - B (4 marks off an A)
English literature - C
Psychology - C (3 marks off a B)

What about you??

Posted from TSR Mobile

A in lit, B in lang (barely), and C in media studies (1 mark off a B)
Original post by robbiesage
A in lit, B in lang (barely), and C in media studies (1 mark off a B)

How did you get an A in English literature? Which exam board do you do?

Teach me your ways haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got my first offer!! And it was from York, yay!!
Now just gotta get my other four and my AAAA.
Original post by brxvebird
I got my first offer!! And it was from York, yay!!
Now just gotta get my other four and my AAAA.

For linguistics? I have an offer for English language and linguistics there!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've got 5 unconditionals now, so relieved :smile:
Original post by SabbyCat
I've got 5 unconditionals now, so relieved :smile:

All unconditional offers?
All unconditional offers?

Yeah, it was only because I've already got my grades though.
Original post by SabbyCat
Yeah, it was only because I've already got my grades though.

That makes more sense haha! And well done
My exam board is CIE :smile:
I was really lucky with the questions I got for the exam haha, just went through the text and analysing words and phrases as perceptively as possible, keeping em on a piece of paper. Then once you are done, highlight similar points you can see from what you wrote and categorise them into batches of flash cards. It doesn't work for everyone but it works for me :biggrin:
Original post by robbiesage
My exam board is CIE :smile:
I was really lucky with the questions I got for the exam haha, just went through the text and analysing words and phrases as perceptively as possible, keeping em on a piece of paper. Then once you are done, highlight similar points you can see from what you wrote and categorise them into batches of flash cards. It doesn't work for everyone but it works for me :biggrin:

Which texts did you study for AS? I'm on the AQA board and we do the great gatsby, wuthering heights, othello and a poetry anthology

Posted from TSR Mobile
Which texts did you study for AS? I'm on the AQA board and we do the great gatsby, wuthering heights, othello and a poetry anthology

Posted from TSR Mobile

Doing Othello right now actually! Last year I did Songs of Ourselves (anthology), The House of Mirth, A Midsummer Night's Dream and Absurd Person Singular
For linguistics? I have an offer for English language and linguistics there!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes for Linguistics, and I've just gotten an email offering me an unconditional. :eek:
Yes for Linguistics, and I've just gotten an email offering me an unconditional. :eek:

Well done, but hardly surprising considering your predicted grades haha!
Anyone studying English Lit/History?? :smile:
Well done, but hardly surprising considering your predicted grades haha!

Well thank you, but I honestly wasn't expecting it! They're my first choice so it was a really nice surprise.
Well thank you, but I honestly wasn't expecting it! They're my first choice so it was a really nice surprise.

They're my first choice too! Everyone is saying the building is really bad, personally I've not been to the uni

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm the only person in my school year applying for English - I go to a same-sex grammar school.
My choices are Southampton, Brunel, Leicester, Liverpool and Sussex. I applied yesterday, and have currently received my acknowledgement e-mail from Southampton.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Remaine
I'm the only person in my school year applying for English - I go to a same-sex grammar school.
My choices are Southampton, Brunel, Leicester, Liverpool and Sussex. I applied yesterday, and have currently received my acknowledgement e-mail from Southampton.

Good luck!
UPDATE: Got a conditional offer from Leicester, and have received acknowledgements from Brunel, Sussex and Liverpool!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending