The Student Room Group

People who went took up their insurance/Clearing offer

1) Do you regret not taking a gap year and reapplying to your firm?
2) Do you ever think about the opportunities you might have had at your firm, and if you ended up at a very different uni to the one you firmed, how you might have developed (socially, etc) differently?
3) Those who missed their offer at the very top universities (Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL...), does the difference in quality/style of teaching you would have experienced at your firm and that which you experience at the university you ended up at affect/bother you in any way?

Sorry if these seem like stupid questions. I'm asking for myself but also on behalf of a friend who's crushed after missing her Imperial offer.
Both positive and negative experiences welcome!
Reply 1
I went to my insurance (loughborough instead of durham). I was pretty gutted to miss my offer and that I didn't get in anyway since I was barely under (needed AAA, got A*A*BB) but desperate to leave home so went anyway. I have thought about 'how things might be different' if I'd gone to Durham instead and honestly just decided it's not worth thinking about... I had a great 3 years at uni, I was very happy, had a lot of fun, lots of opportunities I enjoyed, made lots of good friends and I am very happy with the person I have developed into. Maybe I would have had a higher standard of teaching at Durham and maybe I would have enjoyed it more for that reason, maybe I'd be paid more now if I went? But honestly who knows... I might also have hated the teaching style, no enjoyed many modules, struggled to make friends or been under too much pressure. I think there's no point dwelling on the what ifs... you are where you are and being successful is great but actually it's a good life lesson to fail once in a while and the most important thing is learning to have fun along the way.
Reply 3
Original post by doodle_333
I went to my insurance (loughborough instead of durham). I was pretty gutted to miss my offer and that I didn't get in anyway since I was barely under (needed AAA, got A*A*BB) but desperate to leave home so went anyway. I have thought about 'how things might be different' if I'd gone to Durham instead and honestly just decided it's not worth thinking about... I had a great 3 years at uni, I was very happy, had a lot of fun, lots of opportunities I enjoyed, made lots of good friends and I am very happy with the person I have developed into. Maybe I would have had a higher standard of teaching at Durham and maybe I would have enjoyed it more for that reason, maybe I'd be paid more now if I went? But honestly who knows... I might also have hated the teaching style, no enjoyed many modules, struggled to make friends or been under too much pressure. I think there's no point dwelling on the what ifs... you are where you are and being successful is great but actually it's a good life lesson to fail once in a while and the most important thing is learning to have fun along the way.

We had the same firm! Two A*s is fantastic - I'm kind of shocked they didn't let you in. Perhaps what might have been really isn't worth thinking about. Sinc loughborough was your insurance, I'm assuming you had researched it and did like it to some extent at the time of your application? Thank you for responding.
Original post by RedQueen
We had the same firm! Two A*s is fantastic - I'm kind of shocked they didn't let you in. Perhaps what might have been really isn't worth thinking about. Sinc loughborough was your insurance, I'm assuming you had researched it and did like it to some extent at the time of your application? Thank you for responding.

yes I did like it, although perhaps arrogantly I'd never really considered the fact I wouldn't meet my offer so hadn't put a huge amount of thought into the insurance

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending