The Student Room Group

A-level choices for Natural Sciences (Physics) with accelerated maths

I'm picking A-level choices right now and I wish to study Physics at Cambridge after two years. I am thinking of doing accelerated maths, Physics, Economics and German.

The bit I want to ask about is whether accelerated maths would be enough. It's essentially a whole a-level maths plus just AS Further Maths.

Although on the Cambridge website it says only AS Further Maths is needed, how much does that decrease my chance of getting into Cambridge vs someone who does the full Further Maths course?
Reply 1
I'm a NatSci who got in on Maths + FM AS. It didn't harm me as far as I'm aware, I showed my maths skills were up to scratch at interview. Just meant I had to learn some stuff for the first time that for many was revision, and this game of catch-up was difficult for me (this is after I started the course). Nonetheless I survived. That said, my school only offered further maths AS (not the full a2), still they didn't hold it against me for not self-teaching...

However, the vast majority of applicants will field three science A-Levels, i.e. some form of Maths, Physics and Chemistry or Maths, Further Maths (full), Physics, etc. would place you better for a NatSci degree. For Cambridge applications, variety and breadth is a nice extra but only if you've got a very solid grounding across the width of your chosen course (natural sciences) already.

http://www.natsci.tripos.cam.ac.uk/prospective-students/admissions
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by iftikhaaraziz
I'm picking A-level choices right now and I wish to study Physics at Cambridge after two years. I am thinking of doing accelerated maths, Physics, Economics and German.

The bit I want to ask about is whether accelerated maths would be enough. It's essentially a whole a-level maths plus just AS Further Maths.

Although on the Cambridge website it says only AS Further Maths is needed, how much does that decrease my chance of getting into Cambridge vs someone who does the full Further Maths course?

If it's not too late for decision, it'd put you in a much better position in applying for physics at Cambridge (and probably most of top RG uni) if you choose maths/science subjects only, because they're only interested in your ability/potential in those related subjects. Nothing else, at all.
If you really want to do Economics and German because you enjoy them, that's fine. But it will not help you in application for their science course even if you get the top grade with very high UMS in those non-science subjects, and you're competing against the applicants who mostly apply with 3/4 science subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending