The Student Room Group

A Question About Sunset

I've just got back from holiday and whilst out there i was sitting by the sea watching the sun setting (it was beautiful). Anyway, i couldn't help but notice that it appeared that the sun moved faster in the sky when it was lower down on the horizon that it did when it was at it's highest point at midday.

For instance, to notice even a small movement of the sun at around noon you would have to wait at least an hour or two; however when watching the sunset, the sun went from being completely visible, to being gone completely in the space of about half an hour.

Has anyone else ever noticed this, or am i just going crazy? If so, can anyone think why this might happen? Im sure there must be some sort of geometrical reason but can't for the life of me figure it out.

Thanks
Reply 1
I think this is another of those optical illusion things, It merely looks like it is moving faster because you have something to reference it against, hopefully sea level if your on the beach :smile:

Don't expect this to be a final answer, for 1 I'm not sure, and 2 I haven't seen the sun in so long I've forgotten what it looks like :biggrin:

It's that yellow thing right? On the other side of the impenetrable wall of grey?

Latest

Trending

Trending