The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

If she was a genuine progressive who cared about Scots, I might like her, and buy her 'Anti-Tory' line. But she 'aint, she loves Brussels, neoliberalism, Hillary, Macron, being PC and toothless about Islam, etc.
Reply 81
Original post by IamJacksContempt
No ones took that democratic decision away from you have they? Are we or are we not still in the union?

The Scottish Government doesn't have the power to take Scotland out of the union. The problem is that they have not accepted the result, and are still doing everything in their power to break up the United Kingdom.

In 1999, for example, the Conservatives campaigned against a Scottish Parliament being created. However a large majority of the people decided their should be. They accepted that outcome, and have since then not only contributed to making that parliament work well, but have increased its powers.

I don't deny that SNP claimed it would be a once in a lifetime opportunity. But then, that was pre-brexit. The EU referendum has changed everything. Unless you honestly believe SNP would have attempted another referendum so soon without it happening?

It appears it has changed the claims of the SNP. Which is - at best - dishonest.

You ask a question about what they would have done otherwise. I refer you back to their position pre-Brexit: that a second referendum should be held as soon as they thought they had a chance of winning it.

If you followed senior SNP politicians after the 2014 vote, the originally suggested that it would require both a significant change and a clear shift in public opinion. Quickly, that and became an or. Which is, incidentally, why the SNP have backed themselves into a corner: Nicola Sturgeon made Brexit an independence issue, when the public apparently don't share her view. She hasn't given any thought to what the people thought about all this, and instead tried to hijack Remain vote for her own ends.

But yes, they were agitating for a second referendum almost immediately after the first - Brexit is nothing more than the latest excuse.
Reply 82
Original post by IamJacksContempt
Are you being serious right now? You're basically linking the same article over and over again saying the exact same thing. These sources who are "close to the first minister" are contradicting what Nicola Sturgeon herself has said first hand. Again, which source is more reliable?

In reality, senior sources speaking on a condition of anonymity do tend to be rather more candid than politicians speaking publicly.
No. free speech
I'm looking forward to June 9th to see surprising results in Scotland. I think the Conservatives (and perhaps the Lib Dems) will win more seats from the SNP than what current polling is predicting.
Original post by alexjones1994
She just needs to give it a rest. No one cares about your little country.

Even the rest of the EU said they don't want you if it means splitting up the UK. Does that not send a strong enough message? The rest of the UK is their biggest trading partner. They trade four times as much with the rest of the UK then the rest of Europe combined. Why would she sabotage that relationship? lol.

Moron.

You sound like a little Englander.

Scotland has a right to seek self-determination from (especially Tory, hidebound) England.

I don't mind her personally, and if I was living in Scotland and Scottish I would support here- I detest that Ruth Davidson rat even more then I do already, for being such a sellout- she's basically Scottish uncle tom, which is why middle England and the beeb loves her.

That said I'd generally support Scottish Labour.
Original post by SaucissonSecCy

Scotland has a right to seek self-determination from (especially Tory, hidebound) England.

I don't mind her personally, and if I was living in Scotland and Scottish I would support here- I detest that Ruth Davidson rat even more then I do already, for being such a sellout- she's basically Scottish uncle tom, which is why middle England and the beeb loves her.

Of course they have the right for self determination but they did that in 2014 for a generation.

If she can get support for it she can call for it again but polling data doesn't show that she does and she's about to lose seats.

We have seen peak nat it lasted 2 years

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SaucissonSecCy

The useless Dugdale, a fine choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 88
Original post by paul514
Of course they have the right for self determination but they did that in 2014 for a generation.

Too many jurisprudence classes at uni have made me rather sceptical of when things are presented as a "right" - in many cases, it is little more than an assertion of a political belief someone holds.

There is categorically however no right in any body of law - domestic or international - for Scotland to be able to secede from the UK. In a democratic society where all citizens are given equal involvement in the governance of the state, they all self-determine within that structure.
Suffers from women's greatest fear - if her mouth stops her brain might start to work!
Reply 90
Original post by MichaelEdwards1
Suffers from women's greatest fear - if her mouth stops her brain might start to work!

What an excellant first post.
Original post by MichaelEdwards1

Can somebody shut up Boris Johnston with all his lies he speaks as he's all mouth and no action
Margaret Thatcher was worse than her

Leave her to do her job ok
Whats with posting on a 3 year old thread?
Agree that the old bat needs to pipe down, people choose SNP to put Scotlands interests first not all want independence as polls and the election showed. 🇬🇧🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Reply 93
Original post by Tracey1995
Can somebody shut up Boris Johnston with all his lies he speaks as he's all mouth and no action
Margaret Thatcher was worse than her

Leave her to do her job ok

He got Brexit done. No lie there. Assuming you meant Boris Johnson.
Original post by Quady
He got Brexit done. No lie there. Assuming you meant Boris Johnson.

He's a bully like May was to the all the party MP's by threatening them they get booted out if they don't vote for brexit

At least Sturgeon fighting her corner which they hate, look forward I think in us having to crawl back to the EU when brexit fails because nobody still don't know what's going to happen and that's how many years the Tories tried to get things done and people still unsure what's the future holds
Reply 95
Original post by Tracey1995
He's a bully like May was to the all the party MP's by threatening them they get booted out if they don't vote for brexit

At least Sturgeon fighting her corner which they hate, look forward I think in us having to crawl back to the EU when brexit fails because nobody still don't know what's going to happen and that's how many years the Tories tried to get things done and people still unsure what's the future holds

At least Michael Edwards gave you the confidence to post on this thread.
Reply 96
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
Whats with posting on a 3 year old thread?
Agree that the old bat needs to pipe down, people choose SNP to put Scotlands interests first not all want independence as polls and the election showed. 🇬🇧🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

I think it's pretty fair to say the majority of SNP supporters are pro independence.

Unless you know of polls that say otherwise.
As relevant now as when it was first made.

She exists to be endured.
Original post by Quady
I think it's pretty fair to say the majority of SNP supporters are pro independence.

Unless you know of polls that say otherwise.

I don't know where they get the polls from as I can say that I never been asked by anybody about our opinion on whether or not we should get independence as if everybody in the country was asked by the opinion polls people then we would get a true story instead of opinions of a few thousand or so people

SNP maintains that independence is the only thing for the country so best thing is get Boris & his puppets to grant the vote and see what the people really says because it might come back like before
Original post by BrexitBojo
She just needs to give it a rest. No one cares about your little country.

Even the rest of the EU said they don't want you if it means splitting up the UK. Does that not send a strong enough message? The rest of the UK is their biggest trading partner. They trade four times as much with the rest of the UK then the rest of Europe combined. Why would she sabotage that relationship? lol.

Moron.

Please yes - she is like an adult Krankie

Latest

Trending

Trending