The Student Room Group

My Year 10 Revision Thread To A* 2016-2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MariamsRevision
Hey, you're welcome :smile:

CGP tends to only be good (in my opinion) for Maths and Sciences but for Humanities (Geography, History, RS) and essay-based subjects like English, it doesn't have all the detail that is needed.

The York Notes, in particular for the AQA Poetry Anthology (Power & Conflict for us) provide the relevant background information on each of the poets' inspiration, context and then proceed to analyse each of the pieces in detail. They are also really good for the set texts, Macbeth, An Inspector Calls and A Christmas Carol.

I convinced my mum to let me buy both the CGP and York Notes because one may cover a point which the other didn't mention so generally I wanted to get both for that reason. The CGP ones were also offered at school at a discounted price than if I were to buy them from the shop so altogether it was also cheaper so hence why I could get the York Notes too. You could ask your school if they offer them before you go and buy them yourself and save a bit of money to put towards other books that they don't offer which you may want.

At the end of it though it's entirely your decision. You may like the CGP ones because of particular reason or you may like the York Notes for another reason. Make sure you have a look at both of them first in detail in the bookstore or even pictures online for the CGP ones and see whether you can imagine yourself using it and actually understand it without for example the colours being too off-putting and distracting. You could also try to look for comparison pictures so e.g. look at a page in a CGP book for a particular character and then look in the York Notes version for the same character and compare the two to see which one interests you.

I thought I'd add what else I use for my English revision if they may be of any use to you:

Websites - Pink Monkey, English Biz, Sparknotes, BBC Bitesize, Shmoop,English Tutor Home2, Oxnotes

YouTube Channels - Mr Bruff, Mr Salles, J Brierley, Mr Taylor, Mr Harvey, The English Teacher, Melanie Kendry, The GCSE Guide, Stacey Reay, English Department Shotton Hall, MrEllsworthEnglish, Sparknotes

I hope I've helped you but make sure that whatever you choose suits you, not just on the pretext of what I've been saying as it is just simply my opinion.

Thank you sooooo much!!! English is probably my weakest subject so I will definitely look at those websites. Also, I'll keep checking until york notes for the book I actually need is there as I guess looking at romeo and juliet isnt very useful when comparing it to christmas carol.
Reply 381
Wow, that's amazing, congratulations!

I had a lazy day today, didn't do much except going over my History notes and browsing the net for resources/study materials.
Tomorrow I'll probably revise for my English Lang test which is on Monday and my History test which is on Tuesday.
Oh and I forgot to say that I got an A in Psychology as we had a 'surprise' test last week :smile:

Ohh congrats what was the English on ?
Reply 382
Original post by gdickenson
I've just finished christmas carol and I am now onto unseen poetry and power and conflict poetry. I have cgp in science, pe and french because the school got them cheaper but I'm not sure whether to get them for poetry/inspector calls/macbeth beause the language is jokey which is nice but I'm not great at using it in questions as I have to write it in a more formal way, if u know what I mean. Sorry I'm just so confused

Ohh k i really need a book for science but i got the english literature books:smile:
Reply 383
Original post by frankielogue
I’m in Y9 but oh well I’m doing my GCSEs so I’m gonna introduce myself anyway :colone:
I’m taking:
Maths
English Lang&Lit
French
Spanish
History
Computer Science
Triple Science
RS

You are in Year 9 ? and anyway nice to meet you have you started this subjects?
Reply 384
Hey, you're welcome :smile:

CGP tends to only be good (in my opinion) for Maths and Sciences but for Humanities (Geography, History, RS) and essay-based subjects like English, it doesn't have all the detail that is needed.

The York Notes, in particular for the AQA Poetry Anthology (Power & Conflict for us) provide the relevant background information on each of the poets' inspiration, context and then proceed to analyse each of the pieces in detail. They are also really good for the set texts, Macbeth, An Inspector Calls and A Christmas Carol.

I convinced my mum to let me buy both the CGP and York Notes because one may cover a point which the other didn't mention so generally I wanted to get both for that reason. The CGP ones were also offered at school at a discounted price than if I were to buy them from the shop so altogether it was also cheaper so hence why I could get the York Notes too. You could ask your school if they offer them before you go and buy them yourself and save a bit of money to put towards other books that they don't offer which you may want.

At the end of it though it's entirely your decision. You may like the CGP ones because of particular reason or you may like the York Notes for another reason. Make sure you have a look at both of them first in detail in the bookstore or even pictures online for the CGP ones and see whether you can imagine yourself using it and actually understand it without for example the colours being too off-putting and distracting. You could also try to look for comparison pictures so e.g. look at a page in a CGP book for a particular character and then look in the York Notes version for the same character and compare the two to see which one interests you.

I thought I'd add what else I use for my English revision if they may be of any use to you:

Websites - Pink Monkey, English Biz, Sparknotes, BBC Bitesize, Shmoop,English Tutor Home2, Oxnotes

YouTube Channels - Mr Bruff, Mr Salles, J Brierley, Mr Taylor, Mr Harvey, The English Teacher, Melanie Kendry, The GCSE Guide, Stacey Reay, English Department Shotton Hall, MrEllsworthEnglish, Sparknotes

I hope I've helped you but make sure that whatever you choose suits you, not just on the pretext of what I've been saying as it is just simply my opinion.

what is Pink Monkey website used for?
Original post by mayu123
You are in Year 9 ? and anyway nice to meet you have you started this subjects?

yeah, my school starts them a year early
Reply 386
yeah, my school starts them a year early

ohh cool are you doing triple science?
Original post by mayu123
Ohh congrats what was the English on ?

Paper 1
Original post by mayu123
ohh cool are you doing triple science?

yeah, all of my gcses are new spec as well
Original post by mayu123
what is Pink Monkey website used for?

Pink Monkey has book notes, study guides and chapter summaries.

It also has the following for each books:
Setting, Character List Conflict, Short Plot/Scene Summary (Synopsis), Themes, Mood, Background Information - Biography
Reply 390
Paper 1

like language or literature
Reply 391
Pink Monkey has book notes, study guides and chapter summaries.

It also has the following for each books:
Setting, Character List Conflict, Short Plot/Scene Summary (Synopsis), Themes, Mood, Background Information - Biography

so basically English literature
Reply 392
yeah, all of my gcses are new spec as well

what are you doing in the 3 different science subjects?
Original post by mayu123
what are you doing in the 3 different science subjects?

bio - doing a test in cell structure and osmosis etc. tomorrow
chem - just did a test in atomic structure/halogens, group 1 metals/periodic table
phys - finished waves, doing acceleration

hbu
Original post by mayu123
like language or literature

Oh sorry, language
Original post by mayu123
so basically English literature

Kinda yeah
Reply 396
bio - doing a test in cell structure and osmosis etc. tomorrow
chem - just did a test in atomic structure/halogens, group 1 metals/periodic table
phys - finished waves, doing acceleration

hbu

biology aebrobic repsiration
Chemistry electrolysis
Physics current
Have you done tests last term
Reply 397
Oh sorry, language

was it hard?
Reply 398
Kinda yeah

u doing English literature in school?
Original post by mayu123
biology aebrobic repsiration
Chemistry electrolysis
Physics current
Have you done tests last term

Done a chemistry test on wednesday, bio test in a fortnight, and 19/30 in a physics test - yikes, but i’m going to a physics workshop to improve my grade next time :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest