The Student Room Group

going to the same uni as boyfriend?

I'm in my final year and will take my A Levels. I have been with my boyfriend for two years now and we both want to go to different universities.

Is it worth me choosing the uni he goes to, to save our relationship?
Original post by Anonymous
I'm in my final year and will take my A Levels. I have been with my boyfriend for two years now and we both want to go to different universities.

Is it worth me choosing the uni he goes to, to save our relationship?

No. Pick a uni on its own merits, much more important in the long-run.
It shouldn't be the main decision, but if you both find a uni you like and it meets your grade requirements then I see why not.
There's always the risk of both of you breaking up while at uni and you then end up stuck in a course which isn't the best for you/you could have done better. At the end of the day, you are risking your future employment prospects with this decision.

It's your decision though.
Reply 4
Do not choose your university on the basis of a teen relationship.

If the relationship is going to work out, it will wherever you are both based. If the best university place you can gain for the course you wish to study happens to be the one your boyfriend attends, cool. If you choose where you go just to be with your boyfriend, will you still want to be there if your relationship ends?
Going to the same uni won't save your relationship. However, trusting eachother and making a commitment to make time for eachother, whatever university you go to, will
Dont pick your university based on your boyfriend, university is too much of an important experience! If it is meant to be you will be able to cope with the distance and if not you will break up! You happiness at university is too important to risk if your heart is elsewhere!
Reply 7
It wouldn't make any difference to your relationship or improve it in my opinion, especially if you are studying different subjects. You will have a different timetable.

You have a chance of breaking up though, then you may have to see him around campus etc. Just evaluate how strong your relationship is, before you proceed to make this decision.

What are you both looking to study?
Absolutely don't go to the same uni. If you're relationship is strong enough, it'll stand the test of distance. Plus absence makes the heart grow fonder :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending