The Student Room Group

Applied to my boyfriend's dream uni but now I'm worried they'll accept me and not him

I'm in year 13 and so is my boyfriend. He's always known that he wanted to go to University of Exeter, so was a bit nervous applying because he was worried about rejection. I wasn't entirely sure what university I wanted to go so I decided to also apply so we could go through the process together. Now I'm worried because I checked course requirements, and my boyfriend's applying for a course that needs at least an AAA (typical offer) or ABB (contextual offer) whereas I think he's predicted like a BBC or BCC. The course I applied for only needs ABB or ACC, and I'm predicted like A*AA. He keeps saying he'll study even more and get the grades he needs, but I don't want him to try so hard and fail, especially because I know if he doesn't get accepted it'll completely crush him if I get accepted.
in the end if you get in and want to go, he should be happy for you, you worked hard for your grades
Original post by Anonymous #1
I'm in year 13 and so is my boyfriend. He's always known that he wanted to go to University of Exeter, so was a bit nervous applying because he was worried about rejection. I wasn't entirely sure what university I wanted to go so I decided to also apply so we could go through the process together. Now I'm worried because I checked course requirements, and my boyfriend's applying for a course that needs at least an AAA (typical offer) or ABB (contextual offer) whereas I think he's predicted like a BBC or BCC. The course I applied for only needs ABB or ACC, and I'm predicted like A*AA. He keeps saying he'll study even more and get the grades he needs, but I don't want him to try so hard and fail, especially because I know if he doesn't get accepted it'll completely crush him if I get accepted.

I am so sorry that you feel that way.
I was told we cannot apply to courses if our predicted grades don’t meet the entry criteria so I am a bit unsure of how he applied when his grades were lower than needed, but this means he should be prepared that there might be a rejection because of the range of his grades and the one needed.
In my opinion, you guys should have a conversation with each other with how you both will react and feel if one was accepted and the other rejected, this will allow you both to prepare for the worst case scenario.
Another option in the case of one acceptance and other rejection is taking a gap year because if he is working hard and believes he will get better grades than predicted he can reapply the next year and start in 2025 and if u were to get accepted and wanted to start uni with him, and were ok with the idea of taking a gap year, you can ring the uni and ask about you deferring your entry which they likely will accept. This will allow you to join the same year as him without reapplying.
I honestly hope whatever is the best for you both works out, good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending