The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

If she wanted to eat there, she could have taken off the niqab. I wouldn't walk into a cafe with a T-shirt with a picture of people shagging on it and be surprised if someone told me to leave, because I respect the fact that some people are offended by stuff like that. There are restaurants where you can't even wear trainers. The Ritz doesn't let you in if you aren't wearing a suit. It's pretty understandable why a restaurant wouldn't want someone wearing a niqab in there, as many people see that it represents antiquated values which support the subjugation of women. Guess they just don't want that kind of thing in their restaurant, in the same way they probably don't want someone to come in with their wife on a leash, which really isn't far off the niqab.
maybe it's a fire hazard
There's times where it's inappropriate to dress a certain way. Some clubs you aren't allowed in with trainers, but no one would say that was being discriminatory.
And the ideology that this is a religious thing is incorrect as many muslim's don't wear a niqab as it isn't a requirement.
Good the niqab is not a piece of religious clothing, its a security risk.
Original post by KingBradly
If she wanted to eat there, she could have taken off the niqab. I wouldn't walk into a cafe with a T-shirt with a picture of people shagging on it and be surprised if someone told me to leave, because I respect the fact that some people are offended by stuff like that. There are restaurants where you can't even wear trainers. The Ritz doesn't let you in if you aren't wearing a suit. It's pretty understandable why a restaurant wouldn't want someone wearing a niqab in there, as many people see that it represents antiquated values which support the subjugation of women. Guess they just don't want that kind of thing in their restaurant, in the same way they probably don't want someone to come in with their wife on a leash, which really isn't far off the niqab.

This is not true.

It's blazer/sportscoat and tie, and that's not for all the restaurants.
Original post by Trinculo
This is not true.

It's blazer/sportscoat and tie, and that's not for all the restaurants.

Oh well that one tiny element in which I was wrong unravels the whole argument doesn't it?
Oh well that one tiny element in which I was wrong unravels the whole argument doesn't it?

Nah, not really.
Reply 8
The issue here is - should the owners/management of restaurants, bars, clubs, etc, be allowed to impose their own dress/behaviour code?

Think carefully before answering.
If someone wants to wear a certain clothing regardless of what other people think and say then yes wear it however people are just going to complain regardless of what is 'offending' a person. If I was eating a muffin I guarantee someone would get annoyed simply because I am eating or then they look at what religion am from and prejudices. If this lady wanted to eat in this restaurant let her at the end of the day you want your money and plus as this lady liked the restaurant( Hence her going inside it) she will recommend it to others. This is just discriminatory. Yes I will defend that lady as I myself is a proud niqab wearer and wouldn't like to be treated like that! Its disgraceful... just because you want to see our faces they make it 'news'. No its just wrong on so many levels.
Original post by MiszShortee786
If someone wants to wear a certain clothing regardless of what other people think and say then yes wear it however people are just going to complain regardless of what is 'offending' a person. If I was eating a muffin I guarantee someone would get annoyed simply because I am eating or then they look at what religion am from and prejudices. If this lady wanted to eat in this restaurant let her at the end of the day you want your money and plus as this lady liked the restaurant( Hence her going inside it) she will recommend it to others. This is just discriminatory. Yes I will defend that lady as I myself is a proud niqab wearer and wouldn't like to be treated like that! Its disgraceful... just because you want to see our faces they make it 'news'. No its just wrong on so many levels.

Do you know what is really wrong on so many levels? Women feeling like they should hide their faces in public.
Do you know what is really wrong on so many levels? Women feeling like they should hide their faces in public.

Its up to the individual.... they want to practice their faith leave them... Nuns have the same dress code as us fellow Muslims dont see them getting discriminated? Personally I love wearing the Niqaab as it strengthens my faith! its all about pleasing Allah at the end of the day.
Private business owners should be well within their rights to refuse service to anyone on any grounds outside of those pertaining to protected characteristics e.g race, religion etc.

Since a woman can be a Muslim and not wear a niqab, I see no problem with the guy's decision.
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Private business owners should be well within their rights to refuse service to anyone on any grounds outside of those pertaining to protected characteristics e.g race, religion etc.

Since a woman can be a Muslim and not wear a niqab, I see no problem with the guy's decision.

Personal Beliefs should also be well within the rights to wear what they want without anyone judging them. Yes you can be a Muslim and not wear the niqaab however personal preferences leads to individuals choosing what to wear.
Original post by MiszShortee786
Personal Beliefs should also be well within the rights to wear what they want without anyone judging them. Yes you can be a Muslim and not wear the niqaab however personal preferences leads to individuals choosing what to wear.

I don't see why personal beliefs should be accommodated to the nth degree at all, perhaps you could explain why?

So if I'm a KKK member, I guess I should be allowed to wear my lovely robes anywhere I like and people should put up with it. An extreme example sure, but certainly a set of beliefs held by some.

It's a burger joint, it's not like they really have any rich snobs eating in there expecting to have their shoes shined. Kicking her out for being abusive like it says in the article is one thing, but for what she's wearing alone is ridiculous. People who get offended by a piece of cloth on someone else's head need to re-evaluate their lives, it's honestly a meaningless thing.
Im not saying to the nth degree... what I am saying is this isn't even news its just to hit back at us Muslims. WOW some lady wore a niqaab to a restaurant... the customers did not complain did they? There Is better things to focus on then this.
if she doesn't want to obey the rules she should not be there
Original post by alexschmalex
It's a burger joint, it's not like they really have any rich snobs eating in there expecting to have their shoes shined. Kicking her out for being abusive like it says in the article is one thing, but for what she's wearing alone is ridiculous. People who get offended by a piece of cloth on someone else's head need to re-evaluate their lives, it's honestly a meaningless thing.

THANK YOU!!!! FInally someone gets it!!
Original post by ZyklonDon
if she doesn't want to obey the rules she should not be there

If they want to prejudices then they shouldn't of opened the restaurant in the first place

Latest

Trending

Trending