The Student Room Group

What perspective is a text or article if no personal pronouns are used?

For example, if it's not writtern in first person, or second person, and also doesn't have any characters which means it's not written in 3rd person etc... then what style of writing is it?

What perspective does it come under?

An example, let's say someone leaves a review of a restaurant and they are describing the food and place etc... but it's not written in first or second person narration, it's more written as an article with no personal pronouns.

What's it written in? Does it have a name?
I think that’s still 2nd person. The review is describing the food of someone else’s restaurant. For example they could write “Your restaurant had fantastic food” and this would be equivalent to just “The food was fantastic”. Because it is directed to the restaurant/the “you”???
Reply 2
Original post by fortified_shi
I think that’s still 2nd person. The review is describing the food of someone else’s restaurant. For example they could write “Your restaurant had fantastic food” and this would be equivalent to just “The food was fantastic”. Because it is directed to the restaurant/the “you”???

You answer got me thinking some more. Are we sure it wouldn't be written in first person?

At first, i didnt think it would be first person if it didn't contain pronouns like "I" and "we" etc...

But even if it doesn't contain those words, the article or review would still be written in 'first person' wouldn't it? Because it's THEM writing the review/article etc... so cleary if the text is 'subjective' then is it not in the perspective of first person?
Reply 3
Third person, the same as an academic article in the sciences.

See below:

http://www.studysupportresources.port.ac.uk/Writing%20in%20the%20third%20peson.pdf
Reply 4
Original post by Ashleylaw
But even if it doesn't contain those words, the article or review would still be written in 'first person' wouldn't it? Because it's THEM writing the review/article etc... so cleary if the text is 'subjective' then is it not in the perspective of first person?

No, this doesn't matter. If this was the defining criterion then everything ever written would be in the first person.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending