The Student Room Group

What is Newcastle like? Safe? Cold?

I'm moving to Newcastle from Mexico in a few days, and I wanted to know what the city is like? Ie, how safe is it to walk around the center in the day and night? (Muggings? I'll be living around the Discovery Museum. What can I expect in weather in the next few months? And what do Brits think of Mexicans?
Original post by sancor05
I'm moving to Newcastle from Mexico in a few days, and I wanted to know what the city is like? Ie, how safe is it to walk around the center in the day and night? (Muggings? I'll be living around the Discovery Museum. What can I expect in weather in the next few months? And what do Brits think of Mexicans?

I'm not sure Brits have particular opinions on Mexican people as a whole...people will care about you and what you're like rather than where you come from. Newcastle is actually quite nice. The town centre is safe during the day, and I've never had any issues walking around alone at night. It's very warm at the moment, and quite humid, but it's due to get colder. I'm expecting thunderstorms over the next few weeks as things cool down and we move on into Autumn, when it'll be warm-ish still but will start heading towards the colder weather as we get on, especially at night. We'll start getting more rain and bad weather as we head towards the end of the year, but nothing too extreme I wouldn't have thought
Original post by sancor05

I don't live very far away from Newcastle, and its a lovely place to be! Its a very multicultural city with people from lots of different places, and I've always felt extremely safe there, even at night. As a general rule, everyone in the North is very friendly and welcoming and you should have an amazing time, it really is a great city and I couldn't recommend it more to anyone! Yes, it will be very cold during the winter but it can be quite pleasant during the spring and summer, and the city centre is one of the best for nightlife and shopping in the North of England, as well as having a brilliant atmosphere in general. In short, it's a great place - I love it and I'm sure you will too! Best of luck :biggrin:
my mate lives in sunderland, GOAT night out :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending