The Student Room Group

Dentistry resit applicants 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by notespad
Sorry, just to clarify, did you both have mitigating circumstances when doing your A levels?

I have Bs and Cs at A level, no mitigating circumstances, but got As/A* in GCSE and AS level, so a bit out of the norm - still wanted to apply for dentistry after retaking if I get AAA this year. Wanted some advice?

Specifically, have 1A* 9A at GCSE, AAAC at AS level

Okay so I don't have mitigating circumstances. So smash your A Levels and get a good UKCAT and you still have a decentish chance, but you will be less desireable to unis. That being said, I only got 2 interviews the first time I applied and this year i got 4, so it can be done
Original post by bdog123curryman
Okay so I don't have mitigating circumstances. So smash your A Levels and get a good UKCAT and you still have a decentish chance, but you will be less desireable to unis. That being said, I only got 2 interviews the first time I applied and this year i got 4, so it can be done

Thank you for the encouragement :smile:
Guys I just realised, I applied to Bristol manc Sheffield and Plymouth (I'm resisting aswell) but my predicted grades are AAA, does that mean I 100% won't get Manchester because I read that for resist applicants, their offer is A*AA? I've already got an offer from Plymouth and a Sheffield interview coming up though.
Original post by DanMomens
Guys I just realised, I applied to Bristol manc Sheffield and Plymouth (I'm resisting aswell) but my predicted grades are AAA, does that mean I 100% won't get Manchester because I read that for resist applicants, their offer is A*AA? I've already got an offer from Plymouth and a Sheffield interview coming up though.

well i dont think any of us could tell you for sure, but you havent been rejected yet so i doubt it. however post interviews they may look back at your predicted grades and it could be a discriminating factor?
however, say if they were to compare say you and another resit applicant, take me for example
yes im predicted A*AA and you're predicted AAA but as some schools dont like predicting A* (especially for us as we didn't meet out predicted last year) i can imagine the uni looking at both of our achieved grades from summer 16 and using THAT as a discriminating factor instead? and then seeing who's more likely of achieving the grades this year
all of the uni's prioritise different aspects of the application and each component has a different weighting at different unis so
Honestly no clue, but it's possible? idk to me what i just said, seems more logical
dont think you should worry, but if it does bother you perhaps ask your school to contact them and tell them that they want to change it to an A*, my school have done that for people in the past
Mcr offer without interview! :smile: hope everything's going well for everyone else too :smile:
Original post by Randomer98
Mcr offer without interview! :smile: hope everything's going well for everyone else too :smile:

wow that is awesome, congrats, is it for A*AA? Hoping to get an offer in March myself
Original post by bdog123curryman
wow that is awesome, congrats, is it for A*AA? Hoping to get an offer in March myself

thank you! and yep A* in either bio or chem. good luck! would it be your firm??
HELP

How is everyone doing? Does everyone have at least one uni they have chance with. I've just recieved my second rejection I'm really worried. I can't see myself taking 2 gap years

I've currently got A*AB, resitting B biology to get an A.
Original post by gcooney4
HELP

How is everyone doing? Does everyone have at least one uni they have chance with. I've just recieved my second rejection I'm really worried. I can't see myself taking 2 gap years

I've currently got A*AB, resitting B biology to get an A.

Hey :smile:
I've currently got two offers from mcr and sheff
Mcr being A*AA and sheff being AAA
I got AAB last year
I got rejected from my other two choices, so dw hopefully you hear some good news soon!
Where've you applied?
Hey :smile:
I've currently got two offers from mcr and sheff
Mcr being A*AA and sheff being AAA
I got AAB last year
I got rejected from my other two choices, so dw hopefully you hear some good news soon!
Where've you applied?

Mcr offer A*AA but they want A* in my resit which is impossible for me to get because of the amount of units I would need to resit.

Waiting for decision from Bristol post-interview. Rejection from sheff and Leeds
Mcr offer A*AA but they want A* in my resit which is impossible for me to get because of the amount of units I would need to resit.

Waiting for decision from Bristol post-interview. Rejection from sheff and Leeds

Was your B in a science? Im pushing an extremely low A to an A* this year, so i do still think its possible. and if its something like bio you'll need to revise AS in order to get a high mark in the unit 5 essay anyways.And trust me, AS resits are so easy the 2nd time round! As long as you have an A at AS and 90% at A2 you can get an a*. you still have 3.5 months with no school, its definitely possible! hopefully bristol get back to you so the pressure eases, but i wouldnt give up on the mcr offer tbh!
Was your B in a science? Im pushing an extremely low A to an A* this year, so i do still think its possible. and if its something like bio you'll need to revise AS in order to get a high mark in the unit 5 essay anyways.And trust me, AS resits are so easy the 2nd time round! As long as you have an A at AS and 90% at A2 you can get an a*. you still have 3.5 months with no school, its definitely possible! hopefully bristol get back to you so the pressure eases, but i wouldnt give up on the mcr offer tbh!

Yes the B is in Biology. I already turned a C into an A* last year for Maths so I've got 1 A* already, mcr want A* in the resit. I got 90% in my unit 5 exam so thats not worth resitting. I got a B in the unit 4 and a C in the EMPA practical. The problem is, its impossible to get an A* without resitting this EMPA, I need total 270 points for A2. Even if it got 100 UMS in my resit exam its not enough, the C in the EMPA is too low I can only get an A. Resitting AS units won't do me any good I've got enough UMS from AS for an A* I just need 90% average in my A2 which is impossilbe without resitting this EMPA which no centre I know of will let me.
Yes the B is in Biology. I already turned a C into an A* last year for Maths so I've got 1 A* already, mcr want A* in the resit. I got 90% in my unit 5 exam so thats not worth resitting. I got a B in the unit 4 and a C in the EMPA practical. The problem is, its impossible to get an A* without resitting this EMPA, I need total 270 points for A2. Even if it got 100 UMS in my resit exam its not enough, the C in the EMPA is too low I can only get an A. Resitting AS units won't do me any good I've got enough UMS from AS for an A* I just need 90% average in my A2 which is impossilbe without resitting this EMPA which no centre I know of will let me.

oh damn i understand, if the issue is no centre will let you resit the empa then i think that's definitely something you need to contact mcr and speak to them about! you've already got an a* as well so they may let you off. Its either that or somehow find a centre that will let you do it? That is kinda out of your control as if this was last year you would've easily been able to resit the empa bc of the old spec still being in use, so i think its important for you to contact mcr regarding your issue and explain it to them in detail! I think its completely understandable, really hope it works out for you!
oh damn i understand, if the issue is no centre will let you resit the empa then i think that's definitely something you need to contact mcr and speak to them about! you've already got an a* as well so they may let you off. Its either that or somehow find a centre that will let you do it? That is kinda out of your control as if this was last year you would've easily been able to resit the empa bc of the old spec still being in use, so i think its important for you to contact mcr regarding your issue and explain it to them in detail! I think its completely understandable, really hope it works out for you!

Yeah I was not sure whether to contact manchester or not. Cos their policy says this in writing, that resits are required to get an A*. I did know this before applying, but the truth is that I didn't know all centres would refuse me until after applying. I want to call them but I don't want to come accross arrogant because I'm so grateful for the offer.
Yeah I was not sure whether to contact manchester or not. Cos their policy says this in writing, that resits are required to get an A*. I did know this before applying, but the truth is that I didn't know all centres would refuse me until after applying. I want to call them but I don't want to come accross arrogant because I'm so grateful for the offer.

I think it'll be best to email them as then you can also show how grateful you are and how much you want to go to mcr and want this to work somehow. Because then you'll have the chance to explain fully what you just told me before and how you didnt know they'd all refuse you. Bc on the phone its hard to get the point across and from past experiences sometimes the admissions sec isnt always on reception so you don't get a proper answer. This way you'll get an answer in writing whch is always much better and will avoid any possible confusion, so yh deffo email them!
I think it'll be best to email them as then you can also show how grateful you are and how much you want to go to mcr and want this to work somehow. Because then you'll have the chance to explain fully what you just told me before and how you didnt know they'd all refuse you. Bc on the phone its hard to get the point across and from past experiences sometimes the admissions sec isnt always on reception so you don't get a proper answer. This way you'll get an answer in writing whch is always much better and will avoid any possible confusion, so yh deffo email them!

Okay I'll get writing an email and once its sounding convincing I'll send it. Thanks for the encouragement
I resat my A levels and still missed the grade and got a B so lost my place at Leeds but rang Sheffield on results day and they gave me an interview and now I'm starting my second year of dentistry there SO RING SHEFFIELD ON RESULTS DAY AS THEY LET SO MANY PEOPLE THROUGH VIA CLEARING!!!!
Original post by hello1345k
So kings accept resit applicants?

Waitm King's as in King's college, I think they do.

Quick Reply

Latest