The Student Room Group

Should I propose?

I've known my girlfriend for nearly 2 and a half years, we love and trust each other completely. This summer I've had a chance to talk to her mother, and she told me that her daughter was talking to her about that. She told me that she didnt say anythign specific but still...

We've got 1 more year of uni, therefore i've no reason to rush but idk about her.
and i want it to be a surprise and modern, i dont wanna talk to her about it
Reply 1
No.

Not yet.
Reply 2
You're both still at uni, maybe the priority for now is for both of you to graduate with at least a 2:1 or higher right? Weddings can be very stressful to organise and there's the money aspect of it too. There's no rush now and if you love each other then surely waiting another year or two won't hurt anyone.
at the right time
yep
Is that right time now? Not sure.
Think about it more m8 :wink:
You'll get there, best of luck!
Original post by Anonymous
I've known my girlfriend for nearly 2 and a half years, we love and trust each other completely. This summer I've had a chance to talk to her mother, and she told me that her daughter was talking to her about that. She told me that she didnt say anythign specific but still...

We've got 1 more year of uni, therefore i've no reason to rush but idk about her.
and i want it to be a surprise and modern, i dont wanna talk to her about it

I would wait until after university, you're both going to be busy people and weddings can have huge financial strains. I would recommend completing your university education and then making sure you've both settled down and then proposing. She may not feel ready at this stage to commit.
I would suggest not proposing now. You may not want to talk to her about marriage but you both need to talk about what you're both doing after university and no set plans can really be made until you've graduated/close to graduation. Like you said, there is no rush.

However, part of me goes against my own advice because I am one of very few people it seems that sees no problem with a long engagement. Definitely don't rush into the wedding. There are other things you should probably save up for beforehand, but if you are up for a long engagement/feel like this is the time, go for it.

Only you know your relationship.
Reply 6
Personally I would wait until after uni. There's no rush but you'll know when the time is right, I am sure :smile: if you plan to wait until after uni, you have a year at least to save up for a ring and also plan the way you are going to propose. Gives you time to save up to do something fancy for it as well such as taking her away for a trip and proposing there.
I'd say, get a job and save up a bit of money, as well as build tension. Uni is too early for both of you.
It depends :smile:

Are you ready to get married? If you're not ready then don't pressure yourself. Do you love her and feel like she's the one you want to spend the rest of your life with? Or is there some doubt? Don't propose if there's any doubt whatsoever.

If you're sure she's the one for you and you love her then you need to consider whether or not you'd be okay with having a long engagement or if you feel that you'd rather be married rather soon after the proposal and then if you can actually afford it.

Seeing as you're both at uni it seems as though you're most likely in a good position to afford a ring, but not a wedding (is this a fair assumption?).
If so its either no proposal yet or long engagement.

Can I ask what motivated you to make this post? I think that if you were truly enthusiastic and sure about marrying her you may not have needed the reassurance from others.
If you have to ask TSR then you're clearly not ready.
You could do it and just have a long engagement, but if I were you I'd wait til after university, since weddingplanning can make you feel stressed and you don't want that on top of all the work you gotta do for uni. What's more, if your relationship is so good, waiting one more year shouldn't hurt.
I agree with everything above^^ Goodluck to you both when it does happen though X
Wait until after uni ☺️
But good luck and that's really cute ❤️💖💙💚💜
I think you need to be a fully functioning independent adult before getting engaged. Most students aren't that because they still rely on some sort of support from their parents. But if you are living away from home, paying all your bills, then you're an adult and can do what you want.
No
I think that most if not all of you haven't understood me, I don't wanna get married yet. But I'm a little bit concerned about her. As far as I know, she might want me to do it, or she might haven't even thought about it. I don't wanna talk about it with her, because I wanna do it in a modern way- I wanna make a surprise, take her where our first date was and do it there. Btw money isn't an issue at all, we're both well covered and our families can afford it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending