The Student Room Group

Found mistake in hypothesis of the Research Proposal after receiving interview call.

I applied to the Department of Social Science. I had submitted the proposal as a part of my application. While preparing for the interview, to my horror, I found that all the three hypotheses in my final proposal are entirely wrong. I might have copied them from the wrong draft during final edits and overlooked before submitting.

There are two interviews- Student panel and PI panel. They did not ask for any presentations on proposal in any of the interview, but they will share the proposal with the student panel. What should I do? Shall I write them, convey the issue beforehand, and send the corrected proposal? Or should I speak directly during Interview? Will I be considered incompetent and reckless for the mistake I made? Will this mistake be counted against me during evaluation? As an international student, I really don't want to loose this opportunity. I am panicking right now.
Original post by JuneKem
I applied to the Department of Social Science. I had submitted the proposal as a part of my application. While preparing for the interview, to my horror, I found that all the three hypotheses in my final proposal are entirely wrong. I might have copied them from the wrong draft during final edits and overlooked before submitting.

There are two interviews- Student panel and PI panel. They did not ask for any presentations on proposal in any of the interview, but they will share the proposal with the student panel. What should I do? Shall I write them, convey the issue beforehand, and send the corrected proposal? Or should I speak directly during Interview? Will I be considered incompetent and reckless for the mistake I made? Will this mistake be counted against me during evaluation? As an international student, I really don't want to loose this opportunity. I am panicking right now.

Personally, I think you should try to convey the issue and send the corrected proposals as you've suggested. This is assuming that the hypotheses in your current application are really badly wrong, otherwise it would be better not to. I assume the worst that can happen is that they refuse to look at the correct hypotheses, but you should at least try.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending