The Student Room Group

Not confident in my search for graduate role

Basically i've lost all my confidence and focus...I feel completely out of touch with other applicants with my credentials, because I haven't practised my skills in so long, and I just feel not cut out for industry anymore.

I think this is largely due to a lack of motivation and interest that I once had. Whenever I am on the phone to recruiters or prospective employers I get anxiious and have panic attacks when they start directing questions towards me, like- 'So what have you been doing since you left uni?'- 'What do you want to do, what are you looking for?'. Because realistically I have no idea anymore, heck, I'm just not even sure I enjoy this stuff anymore, let alone I question my confidence in my own abilities.

My heart races when I'm asked what I've been doing since leaving uni, as I guess I don't value myself in what I've already done. To be completely honest, all I've done is the odd freelance project, in between working my day job (which has absolutely nothing to do with my prospective career). I don't live and breathe for my ideal career anymore.

I guess it shines through when I talk to employers- as I find it hard to be enthusiastic because I lack confidence, and I don't know how to get back into things. This is especially true when I have no idea what specific job in industry that I would want. Part of this is down to my distinct lack of experience, however, part of me feels I could've tried harder hence my guilt.

Theres been a steady decline in my wellbeing as a result.

I guess in an ideal world, if I could say to an employer, I've been on a work placement or got 6 months solid work experience or done an internship at a Design agency or done this and that I'd be comfortable with discussing. But I haven't. All I've done is some small time, run of the mill graphic design projects., logos, leaflets, and posters. Nothing commercial, all voluntary.

Anybody got any constructive advice for me?
Reply 1
Just to add;

I feel that the reason I have little confidence now is because of my lack of success in my job hunt, in not finding a professional level job and working in a fast food joint which is toxic and not good for anyone.

I also feel like I could've done better, and that other candidates are better placed for jobs i apply too. I just feel i lack the professional edge that other candidates just seem to have. They outshine me.

I want to be at their level- but I feel like I've fallen behind.

I don't even talk about my work like i'm interested and employers don't seem to be interested either, perhaps i am picking up on this.

I'm been given feedback at least, and so at least I can act on that. My biggest problem is my nerves, I mumble on and given nonsensical answers to peoples questions- I guess because I'm ashamed or scared of responses. This is evident in interviews but also when I discuss my own work.
You really do need to think back to the last time you actually did do a good project in whatever field you're hoping to be employed in. If you can't find that... go talk to lots and lots of people
I have two years experience in a grad role and i'm still finding it nigh on impossible to find a job. It's not you, it's just a really *****y job market for people our age.
Original post by Anonymous

I think this is largely due to a lack of motivation and interest that I once had. Whenever I am on the phone to recruiters or prospective employers I get anxiious and have panic attacks when they start directing questions towards me, like- 'So what have you been doing since you left uni?'- 'What do you want to do, what are you looking for?'. Because realistically I have no idea anymore, heck, I'm just not even sure I enjoy this stuff anymore, let alone I question my confidence in my own abilities.

My heart races when I'm asked what I've been doing since leaving uni, as I guess I don't value myself in what I've already done. To be completely honest, all I've done is the odd freelance project, in between working my day job (which has absolutely nothing to do with my prospective career). I don't live and breathe for my ideal career anymore.

I guess it shines through when I talk to employers- as I find it hard to be enthusiastic because I lack confidence, and I don't know how to get back into things. This is especially true when I have no idea what specific job in industry that I would want. Part of this is down to my distinct lack of experience, however, part of me feels I could've tried harder hence my guilt.

Theres been a steady decline in my wellbeing as a result.

I guess in an ideal world, if I could say to an employer, I've been on a work placement or got 6 months solid work experience or done an internship at a Design agency or done this and that I'd be comfortable with discussing. But I haven't. All I've done is some small time, run of the mill graphic design projects., logos, leaflets, and posters. Nothing commercial, all voluntary.

Anybody got any constructive advice for me?

when employers ask you these questions and youre panicking, why not try to formulate answers in advance? if you genuinely dont know what you want to do, then practice an answer which says that but not in such a direct way.

e.g.: "at the moment I am trying to gain some more experience for my CV and get a feel of different working environments so I can find out what I enjoy/feel comfortable doing" that sort of thing.

At the moment Im taking some time out myself to work any job i can, whilst volunteering in my sector (criminology related) to gain experience which i can only get from volunteering, because all jobs to do with crime want you to have experience already. i dont know what career i want, i was going to do a masters but changed my mind, so i say that, tbh there's nothing wrong with being honest. and if they dont hire you or judge you for that, then thats up to them. but i see no harm in saying "i was going to do a masters but changed my mind and im taking a few years to work and gain more experience for my cv". I still dont know what i want to do, but ive managed to answer that sorta question without saying "dunno!".

"Because realistically I have no idea anymore, heck, I'm just not even sure I enjoy this stuff anymore, let alone I question my confidence in my own abilities."

As someone who is under confident myself (i got a first but i dont believe in myself at all) i think the best thing is to either go to counselling and work on your self esteem issues, if you think you have them. buy some self help books. make the effort to address things because unless you do, youll be stuck too afraid to apply for jobs or whatever cos you think you arent good enough. also another thing to try is challenging yourself. apply to volunteer or do something totally out of your comfort zone where youll be forced to be assertive or confident etc. I volunteer in a prison and at first i totally sucked, im not good at communicating verbally or speaking to people in authority (prison staff). but after time ive gotten better and ive learned more and improved. and i wouldnt have changed as a person and grown if i hadnt thrown myself out there, doing something which is hard and difficult, but its better than shying away and never changing.

"All I've done is some small time, run of the mill graphic design projects., logos, leaflets, and posters. Nothing commercial, all voluntary."
I dont get why you dont want to tell employers this? like youve done stuff, why is that bad? like its better than nothing... do you think its not good enough or something? cos people volunteer somewhere for one day and theyll still put it on their cv and tell employers "i gained all these skills" bla bla.

maybe you need some help to find out what skills you do have, so you can sell yourself better?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending