The Student Room Group

Career change

I’m considering a career change. I graduated with a degree in Computer networks and technology and completed university in April before graduating in September although I have struggled to find a postgraduate job since… I’m 23 turning 24 later this year wanting to get stable finance wise and get out of my retail jobs for good with aspirations to settle down later in life by marrying my partner what advice would you give…?
Original post by Anonymous #1
I’m considering a career change. I graduated with a degree in Computer networks and technology and completed university in April before graduating in September although I have struggled to find a postgraduate job since… I’m 23 turning 24 later this year wanting to get stable finance wise and get out of my retail jobs for good with aspirations to settle down later in life by marrying my partner what advice would you give…?
I'm assuming you are considering a career change because of not being able to find work in that field?
If Computer science and technology is what you enjoy, then I'd stick with that.
I did a career change myself, but that was the opposite way to me - I did finance/business management, worked for ~6 years, realised that I hated it completely and finally decided to go back to Uni and get into STEM, which I now enjoy every day of.

Have you tried applying for STEM internships and graduate roles rather that full time jobs?
Have a look here, there are plenty of opportunities -
https://www.gradcracker.com/search/computing-technology/work-placements-internships
https://www.gradcracker.com/search/computing-technology/graduate-jobs

If you aren't getting through, try to work on your CV and interview skills. Also don't get discouraged by rejections. In my experience and from experience of people I know, the success rate (from applying to a job to getting a job offer) is around 10%. So to get 2-3 offer you gotta apply to around 30 jobs. Make sure the quality of your application is not compromised by the quantity of application that you make.

P.S.: it feels like I'm promoting this gradcracker website here in TSR as I keep recommending it to everyone, but honestly I found it to be the best place to look for early career STEM jobs. I used it myself to get an internship and my graduate role so I know it works.

All the best,
Al
Okay I’ll do that :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending