The Student Room Group

Student Loan will be too late to pay tuition fees, please help!

Hello, I applied for student finance in June and sent my parents financial details a couple of weeks later and heard nothing from them from that point. I regularly checked my online account to see the progress and it said they had recieved all the information they needed and my application would take atleast 6 weeks to process. Well, 8.5 weeks passed and I phoned up to check the progress, it turns out that they needed more information on my parents but never contacted me to tell me and for reasons they cannot explain they just stopped processing my application in July. I was not aware of any of this as my online account said everything was fine. They've now apparently sent my application to head office to investigate what's happened but I've been told it's a lengthy process.

I've contacted my university and they've told me that if I don't have the loan by 14th October then I'll be expected to pay my tuition fees myself which I can't afford or I'll have to withdraw. There is no way they can delay payment.

So now I'm in a position through no fault of my own where I'm possibly going to loose my place at university. Does anybody know if there's any other actions I can take to rectify this situation? I've been on the phone to the advisors at student finance constantly but they have no idea what's happened and can't give me an estimated time slot for how long it's going to take to resolve, has anyone been in this situation before? I honestly don't know what to do.
Original post by Aimeee1994
Hello, I applied for student finance in June and sent my parents financial details a couple of weeks later and heard nothing from them from that point. I regularly checked my online account to see the progress and it said they had recieved all the information they needed and my application would take atleast 6 weeks to process. Well, 8.5 weeks passed and I phoned up to check the progress, it turns out that they needed more information on my parents but never contacted me to tell me and for reasons they cannot explain they just stopped processing my application in July. I was not aware of any of this as my online account said everything was fine. They've now apparently sent my application to head office to investigate what's happened but I've been told it's a lengthy process.

I've contacted my university and they've told me that if I don't have the loan by 14th October then I'll be expected to pay my tuition fees myself which I can't afford or I'll have to withdraw. There is no way they can delay payment.

So now I'm in a position through no fault of my own where I'm possibly going to loose my place at university. Does anybody know if there's any other actions I can take to rectify this situation? I've been on the phone to the advisors at student finance constantly but they have no idea what's happened and can't give me an estimated time slot for how long it's going to take to resolve, has anyone been in this situation before? I honestly don't know what to do.

It's quite unusual for a university to be so unsympathetic in cases like this.

Are you speaking to the finance team or the student services/support team? It might be that another team at your university will be able to help - some universities will even offer short term loans to cover costs while student finance gets sorted out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending