The Student Room Group

[Poll] Do you buy standard unleaded or premium unleaded petrol?

Poll

What petrol fuel preference do you have?

If you had to pick one, which one would you go for and why? :hmmm:

Me personally, I go for the standard unleaded as it is slightly cheaper. Depending on where you go, you may see claims such as 'super unleaded makes your engine run better' or 'it gives you ultimate performance!' Price matters more to me.
(edited 7 years ago)
@James A

I'm very much a Tesco Momentum 99 user. I've found I can get an extra 50 miles out of the tank for the slight extra expenditure of money, so I'm happy to pay it :tongue:
Reply 2
Premium fuels are only really any good if your engine prefers it - mine doesn't, so I stick to standard.
I stick to normal unleaded.
People i know who have tried using premium unleaded have never noticed any difference so i dont bother.
Premium (92 octane!), solely because it more or less eradicates the misfire I haven't had time to properly diagnose. I still only get 15mpg...
My car needs superunleaded or cokes up

My bikes need superunleaded as it doesn't have ethanol in it
Which ever one is cheapest!
Reply 7
Diesel all the way :P
does you car have a knock sensor and adaptive mapping ? alternatively is the ignition timing and fuel mapping adjusted for higher octane ...

if you don't know the answers to this then you shouldn't be purchasing super rather than 95 RON
Original post by CurlyBen
Premium (92 octane!), solely because it more or less eradicates the misfire I haven't had time to properly diagnose. I still only get 15mpg...

92 RON unleaded does not meet any of the european standards for unleaded

91 RON is not sold in the UK ( it;s the unleaded equivalent of 2 star)
Original post by zippyRN
92 RON unleaded does not meet any of the european standards for unleaded

91 RON is not sold in the UK ( it;s the unleaded equivalent of 2 star)

That's because I'm not in the UK these days :wink:

I'm in the US, so the 92 octane rating is an average of RON and MON. It's approximately equivalent to 97 RON.
Doesn't make a blind bit of difference from my experience. I usually get 250 miles from a tank, I've tried filling up with premium fuel and it's never boosted my mileage. Certainly isn't worth the huge 10% price tag.
I'll take my dirty diesel and 500+ miles to a tank any day thanks :tongue: I don't even bother with the premium diesel if it is on sale though, the occasional "Italian tune up" will do more for your engine than using premium. Unless, that is, you have a performance car which needs better quality fuel. Your standard Corsa or Saxo will be fine on the boggo stuff.
Unless you are running an extremely high performance engine, Premium is literally pissing money down the drain for no reason.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending