The Student Room Group

What student finance am I even eligible for. Complex case here

Ok. I am a dual UK-Slovenian national. I have a valid British passport but I live in
Slovenia where I go to school (doing A levels at the international school). I wish to
study Law in the UK but I hear that there is this rule that if you haven't lived in
Britain for at least 3 years that I am not eligible for a student loan. But on the other hand I know a Polish guy and a Romanian who got a student loan via the UK govt.?
Am I eligible for this even with my dual nationality?
You're entitled to the tuition fee loan.
Reply 2
Original post by alexandercrowth
Ok. I am a dual UK-Slovenian national. I have a valid British passport but I live in
Slovenia where I go to school (doing A levels at the international school). I wish to
study Law in the UK but I hear that there is this rule that if you haven't lived in
Britain for at least 3 years that I am not eligible for a student loan. But on the other hand I know a Polish guy and a Romanian who got a student loan via the UK govt.?

As an EU student you will get a Tuition Fee Loan. The rules changed earlier this year and you now need to have been living in the UK for five years before you qualify for the Maintenance Loan.

One way to qualify before then is to apply as a Migrant Worker. You have to be working in the UK and you have to continue doing a minimum number of hours' work throughout your degree. You would have to send Student Finance evidence of your employment every term. If you don't do that, your Maintenance Loan payments stop.

As we don't know your friends' circumstances, we can't really comment. Maybe they went the Migrant Worker route. We have no way of knowing.*
Original post by alexandercrowth

Any EU national who has lived in the EU for 3 years can get a tuition fee loan. Once you've lived in the UK for 5 years you can get a maintainance loan too, migrant workers in the UK and children of migrant workers in the UK are also eligible for a maintainance loan.
Reply 4
Original post by Klix88
As an EU student you will get a Tuition Fee Loan. The rules changed earlier this year and you now need to have been living in the UK for five years before you qualify for the Maintenance Loan.

One way to qualify before then is to apply as a Migrant Worker. You have to be working in the UK and you have to continue doing a minimum number of hours' work throughout your degree. You would have to send Student Finance evidence of your employment every term. If you don't do that, your Maintenance Loan payments stop.

As we don't know your friends' circumstances, we can't really comment. Maybe they went the Migrant Worker route. We have no way of knowing.*

It only applies to England though (don't know about Wales and NI).
In Scotland it's still 3 years for EU national to be eligible for a maintenance loan.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending