The Student Room Group
Arden University

Missed enrollment day due to late test results

Hi everyone,
I am a new member here and I found it very useful place.Well done,good for you!:smile:
Anyway,I will be very thankfull to anybody who can help me with an opinion,if one has related experience on this kind of issues,of course.
So,I received a Conditional admission offer from an university if I get certified 6.5 IELTS.
It was just two weeks ago,and I had to get through all kind of difficulties and technical obstacles to book,to prepare and to take the test in such a short period.At first I spent £200 just to book a PTE Pearson but all my devices didn't meet their requirements on the very day, and I wasn't allowed to retake it for free later. So,after that misfortune my university recruitment adviser offer me with a voucher with £45 for Duolingo. But she didn't tell me that there was an option "Earlier results in 24 hours" if an extra price was paid.
Nevertheless,If I knew about this I wouldn't take their voucher and I would buy the extra on my own.
So,my Duolingo test was on Wednesday,and I received a positive,the required from the university result,but it was on the 47th hour after finishing,when the working day at the universities here,at UK was already closed-an hour before that actually.And today was the day of the enrollment of the new students. So,my question to you is:
How do you think,do I still have some chances to be enrolled after all?
What am I supposed to do in case like this?
Thank you very much for your attention and help.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Papazov
Hi everyone,
I am a new member here and I found it very useful place.Well done,good for you!:smile:
Anyway,I will be very thankfull to anybody who can help me with an opinion,if one has related experience on this kind of issues,of course.
So,I received a Conditional admission offer from an university if I get certified 6.5 IELTS.
It was just two weeks ago,and I had to get through all kind of difficulties and technical obstacles to book, to prepare and to take the test in such a short period. At first I spent £200 just to book a PTE Pearson but all my devices didn't meet their requirements on the very day, and I wasn't allowed to retake it for free later. So, after that misfortune my university recruitment adviser offer me with a voucher with £45 for Duolingo. But she didn't tell me that there was an option "Earlier results in 24 hours" if an extra price was paid.

Nevertheless, if I knew about this I wouldn't take their voucher and I would buy the extra on my own.

So, my Duolingo test was on Wednesday, and I received a positive, the required from the university result, but it was on the 47th hour after finishing, when the working day at the universities here, at UK was already closed-an hour before that actually. And today was the day of the enrollment of the new students. So, my question to you is:
How do you think, do I still have some chances to be enrolled after all?

A few quick questions:
1) Are you applying on UCAS?
2) Did you firmly accept the offer?
3) Are you sure this was the enrollment day?
4) What kind of course is this?
Arden University
Meeting your offer conditions is usually a separate deadline date from enrolment.
Reply 3
Original post by 04MR17
A few quick questions:
1) Are you applying on UCAS?
2) Did you firmly accept the offer?
3) Are you sure this was the enrollment day?
4) What kind of course is this?

Arden University is in UCAS for sure.But as long as I know I have applied directly, been advising and directed by their recruitment adviser. Yes,I firmly accepted their offer,no matter that there wasn't enough time to prepare for the exam as I only had a week.
The same adviser told me the enrollment day was yesterday,Friday,28th of April.And she was expecting my results to be ready on Thursday.The course was Computing Foundation year ,blended learning.

(Original post by Admit-One)
Meeting your offer conditions is usually a separate deadline date from enrolment.
Original post by Papazov
Arden University is in UCAS for sure. But as long as I know I have applied directly, been advising and directed by their recruitment adviser. Yes, I firmly accepted their offer, no matter that there wasn't enough time to prepare for the exam as I only had a week.

The same adviser told me the enrollment day was yesterday, Friday, 28th of April. And she was expecting my results to be ready on Thursday.

The course was Computing Foundation year ,blended learning.

I'm looking on Arden's website:
https://arden.ac.uk/our-courses/blended-learning/undergraduate/foundation-year-entry-degrees

I can't see a Computing Foundation course.
I can see a BSc (Hons) Computing course, which has a foundation year. Is that what you mean?

You need to ask if there is an alternative start date for the course? If they're doing intake at the end of April I'd be very surprised if this was the only time of year they were accepting students for this course.
Reply 5
Original post by 04MR17
I'm looking on Arden's website:
https://arden.ac.uk/our-courses/blended-learning/undergraduate/foundation-year-entry-degrees

I can't see a Computing Foundation course.
I can see a BSc (Hons) Computing course, which has a foundation year. Is that what you mean?

You need to ask if there is an alternative start date for the course? If they're doing intake at the end of April I'd be very surprised if this was the only time of year they were accepting students for this course.

Sorry ,my mistake.Computing, Foundation year,of course. And yes ,they do another intake,but September. Now I will lose besides the time,and also the Student Financing which I was approved to.That is why it is really sad situation for me now.
Original post by Papazov
Sorry ,my mistake.Computing, Foundation year,of course. And yes ,they do another intake,but September. Now I will lose besides the time,and also the Student Financing which I was approved to.That is why it is really sad situation for me now.
Have student finance started paying you anything? If not, you shouldn't lose your free year. I think you need to be clear though, are you studying BSc Computing (with foundation year). Because that is a 4 year course usually. If you say "I am doing a computing foundation year" that is often a one year course.
Reply 7
Original post by 04MR17
Have student finance started paying you anything? If not, you shouldn't lose your free year. I think you need to be clear though, are you studying BSc Computing (with foundation year). Because that is a 4 year course usually. If you say "I am doing a computing foundation year" that is often a one year course.

I would receive my first payment on 2th of May if I was enrolled and confirmed by the university.
Original post by Papazov
I would receive my first payment on 2th of May if I was enrolled and confirmed by the university.

But since you aren't enrolled, student finance won't be paying you anything. :nah:
So you don't lose your eligibility for student finance :no:
Reply 9
Original post by 04MR17
But since you aren't enrolled, student finance won't be paying you anything. :nah:
So you don't lose your eligibility for student finance :no:

I haven't said that I would lose my eligibility for student finance,but I suppose I will need to make a new application in case I decide to go further. And that application became successfull not very easily.
Original post by Papazov
I haven't said that I would lose my eligibility for student finance,but I suppose I will need to make a new application in case I decide to go further. And that application became successfull not very easily.
Just log into the student finance portal and alter your start date. You shouldn't need to make a fresh application.

It came across that you were worried about losing your gift year of tuition fee and maintenance loans, from when you said "Now I will lose besides the time,and also the Student Financing which I was approved to." Because it wasn't fully clear what you meant, I am having to do a little bit of guess work to figure out what the problems are.
Reply 11
Original post by 04MR17
Just log into the student finance portal and alter your start date. You shouldn't need to make a fresh application.

It came across that you were worried about losing your gift year of tuition fee and maintenance loans, from when you said "Now I will lose besides the time,and also the Student Financing which I was approved to." Because it wasn't fully clear what you meant, I am having to do a little bit of guess work to figure out what the problems are.

I am not very familiar with all this matter and terminology,related university studying,sorry if I confuse somehow someone🙂
Anyway ,your answers are very appreciated,indeed!
But at the moment,there is nothing actually I can do as I haven't received any email from admission team or my adviser after closing at Friday,and they will be back on Tuesday,because there is a Bank Holiday here. So,I even won't know what my current status is till then.
Other than calling them on Tuesday there is nothing you can do.
Original post by Papazov
Hi everyone,
It was just two weeks ago,and I had to get through all kind of difficulties and technical obstacles to book,to prepare and to take the test in such a short period.At first I spent £200 just to book a PTE Pearson but all my devices didn't meet their requirements on the very day, and I wasn't allowed to retake it for free later. So,after that misfortune my university recruitment adviser offer me with a voucher with £45 for Duolingo. But she didn't tell me that there was an option "Earlier results in 24 hours" if an extra price was paid.
Nevertheless,If I knew about this I wouldn't take their voucher and I would buy the extra on my own.
So,my Duolingo test was on Wednesday,and I received a positive,the required from the university result,but it was on the 47th hour after finishing,when the working day at the universities here,at UK was already closed-an hour before that actually.And today was the day of the enrollment of the new students. So,my question to you is:
@Papazovve some chances to be enrolled after all?

@Papazov
Hello! I'm just the Student Ambassador for Arden University, it's not unusual for students to be in your situation (I've taught in FE/HE for 10 years) and have often helped out in enrolments at my local University centre.

You will not receive any student finance payments until you are officially enrolled so don't worry about your funding entitlement or anything like that

It's best giving the University a quick ring on Tuesday, 0800 268 7737 if you are based in the UK. That number will take you to the switchboard who can put you through to the right person

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Reply 14
Original post by Arden University
@Papazov
Hello! I'm just the Student Ambassador for Arden University, it's not unusual for students to be in your situation (I've taught in FE/HE for 10 years) and have often helped out in enrolments at my local University centre.

You will not receive any student finance payments until you are officially enrolled so don't worry about your funding entitlement or anything like that

It's best giving the University a quick ring on Tuesday, 0800 268 7737 if you are based in the UK. That number will take you to the switchboard who can put you through to the right person

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

Thank you very much for your advice,Marc.
Altough,I wasn't worried about some payments.
Firstly ,I am still very disappointed in terms of the communication between me and my advisor and the uni admission team throughout the application process.
Eventually, I wasn't even emailed either, that my application was unsuccessful because of the delayed result, or about what exactly would be my status after closing the enrollment day without it.
My worries about the finance are regarding the need of reapplication if I am not confirmed as enrolled,and my current application was approved after three different decisions.
(edited 12 months ago)
Original post by Papazov
My worries about the finance are regarding the need of reapplication if I am not confirmed as enrolled,and my current application was approved after three different decisions.

You won't need to reapply for student finance, you should be able to edit the start date of your course by logging into the student finance portal.
Original post by 04MR17
You won't need to reapply for student finance, you should be able to edit the start date of your course by logging into the student finance portal.

I'm assuming they're international in which case their finance process could be different - it could be a private loan application.
Reply 17
Original post by 04MR17

I have checked carefully twice, but there is no option to change details about the starting date of the course. There was one ,but on previous stages of the application.
Reply 18
Original post by Admit-One
I'm assuming they're international in which case their finance process could be different - it could be a private loan application.

No,I live in UK,this is SFE.
Original post by Papazov
I have checked carefully twice, but there is no option to change details about the starting date of the course. There was one ,but on previous stages of the application.

Then I would ring up SFE on Tuesday as well and ask for the start date to be amended

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending