The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Doctor has a nice ring to it ;D
yes it is true. you end up with a doctorate of veterinary medicine so you are allowed to call yourself a doctor. pretty cool huh :biggrin:
Reply 42
Did you have to do the entrance exam?
no i didn't because i applied to the 4 year course but apparently it isn't too bad at all.
Reply 44
HannahUVM
no i didn't because i applied to the 4 year course but apparently it isn't too bad at all.

ah brilliant - I'd be going for the 4yr one aswell.
are the terms the same as england? (i.e how long and when are your holidays?) what are the pcems/ems requirements?
How do you afford it (obv you dont have to answer this, just as a grad-entry I'm gonna be struggling so any tips are welcome)

how do you cope being so far from home?

sorry for all the questions :s-smilie: I'm intrigued!
the terms are a little longer than england i think. we have two 13 week semesters and then exams whenever you want to take them between december-february and june-august. we don't get easter holidays just a long weekend but there are a few bank holidays dotted around term and christmas can be up to 8 weeks depending how you plan your exams.
on the grad course you don't do any pcems in the first year and then for the last 3 years you do a couple of weeks but nowhere near the amount you have to do in the UK because we get so much practical stuff during term time. a lot of people organise extra for the fun of it though.
my parents are loaning me the money and i will pay it back when i have a job. other people have regular bank loans or nice parents. apart from fees the general living here is very cheap so it's not too hard.
being away from home has ever really bothered me. i spend several months away in my gap year and really it's no different to being at a far away uni in the UK. i was really nervous before coming here about that part of it but it's absolutely fine because everyones in the same boat and after all home is only a phone call (or skype) away.
Reply 46
OMG I so want to go there now, if only for becoming a doctor, I could write it on christmas cards and everything!
So did you take a gap year after your degree then, or go straight there? I'm really not sure whether to apply this year or not? Like do they prefer you to have your degree in your hand before applying or do they not mind giving out conditional offers?
I came straight here after my degree. They don't really care if you haven't got your degree when you apply. They will let you do the 4 year course with only 2 years of your last one completed (i think) so as long as your grades so far are ok then you'lll be fine to apply now. They don't really seem to give out conditional offers- it's just a yess or a no. I was accepted before getting my degree.
It says about sending a CV.......Is it a general one that you would send an employer or one of your work experience?
mine was a combination of both really. i had a ridiculous amount of work experience so i didn't put it all on there because I wanted to cram it onto one page. you should always redo a CV every time you need one so that it is tailored specifically to what it's needed for.
ok great. My parents aren't that keen on me going there, I think they're worried about safety????
no less safe than any town in england. it's probably safer as long as you stay away from where the gypsies live which isn't a problem. there isn't much crime and i don't feel at all unsafe out in town at night.
Reply 52
HannahUVM
no less safe than any town in england. it's probably safer as long as you stay away from where the gypsies live which isn't a problem. there isn't much crime and i don't feel at all unsafe out in town at night.

Are there many pubs and stuff? And do you have many vetty socials and that type of thing?
there are plenty of pubs and bars but not really any huge clubs like in the UK. there are one or two smaller places though which are fine because there arent that many of us. we tend to go to the irish bar a bit. there is a club under the dorms on a wednesday night too. it depends what tests we have but people go out a reasonable amount. my year is a freak year where most of us are really geeky and studious so none of the older ones understand why we arent out every night.
Reply 54
Also have you seen the film hostel? I have a job at the moment where I ring up past students and ask them for money and anyway, I was talking to this architect man and telling him all about slovakia and he reckons I'll probably get my eye blowtorched out if I go there. What are your thoughts on this?
haha yes hostel was watched as soon as we all got here and does come up every now and again in conversation but it's totally fine. hostel will not happen to you. hostel 2 involves gypsies more (so i have been told) and you will see gypsies around here but that's the closest you'll get to it. i think the slovaks are worried that the film has affected people coming here though (in general for tourism not to UVM specifically).
Reply 56
Phew, thats ok then! I was surprised that it was an actual problem there!
I've been looking on sky europe today, and it does seem to be the cheapest deal, so ta for giving me the heads up on that!
Reply 57
Wow, this is ace! I love travelling to crazy places and europeans on the mainland are the best people! Is anyone else thats trying to get the application form having trouble with the format when you open it? For me the writings got loads of weird gaps in it, I think I'll just copy it out.
Reply 58
Cass8008
Wow, this is ace! I love travelling to crazy places and europeans on the mainland are the best people! Is anyone else thats trying to get the application form having trouble with the format when you open it? For me the writings got loads of weird gaps in it, I think I'll just copy it out.

Yep it does for me too, so long as its got all the info on that they need I don't recks they will mind too much!
the one on the UVM website is nicer to understand than on the uni website but they look the same as when i did it.

Latest

Trending

Trending