The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Good bloke
I think we can both agree that killing humans is normally immoral, whether that moral stance is subjective or objective. Surely we can both agree that it is always immoral to kill or injure people purely because of their beliefs?

But perhaps you think it is morally right to kill unbelievers, if you believe you have been told to do so by your god?. Perhaps you could clarify that?

Surely we can agree that the killing of humans has always been justifiable in specific contexts?

My God has not told me to kill unbelievers; rather my God has given a specific context.

This discussion is no longer related to Salafism or Sufism or Shi'ism.
Original post by Zamestaneh
Surely we can agree that the killing of humans has always been justifiable in specific contexts?

My God has not told me to kill unbelievers; rather my God has given a specific context.

We can agree on that, but the specific context I was asking about, as you know, was the holding of beliefs. When might it be moral to kill someone on the basis purely of their beliefs?
We can agree on that, but the specific context I was asking about, as you know, was the holding of beliefs. When might it be moral to kill someone on the basis purely of their beliefs?

I don't want to contribute to derailing the thread so my post will be in spoilers.

Spoiler

Original post by Al-farhan
I don't want to contribute to derailing the thread so my post will be in spoilers.

Spoiler

Well, in that context, I'm fighting him now. You have read the Koran 5:29-33? Is it moral for him or anyone else to make it physical as the Koran prescribes?

the penalty for those who wage war against Allah and His Messenger and strive upon earth [to cause] corruption is none but that they be killed or crucified or that their hands and feet be cut off from opposite sides or that they be exiled from the land.

As an atheist, I'm certainly fighting against Allah's supposed messenger.
Well, in that context, I'm fighting him now. You have read the Koran 5:29-33? Is it moral for him or anyone else to make it physical as the Koran prescribes?

the penalty for those who wage war against Allah and His Messenger and strive upon earth [to cause] corruption is none but that they be killed or crucified or that their hands and feet be cut off from opposite sides or that they be exiled from the land.

As an atheist, I'm certainly fighting against Allah's supposed messenger.

Disbelief in it self is not what is meant or alluded to in that verse.
And it is a clear twisting of quranic verses to fit a particular agenda.
Here is why:
1-The entire quranic narrative would prove that what you say or insinuate is not the actual meaning of that verse
2-The consensus of tafsiirs doesn't agree with that.
3-History and siirah of the prophet proves again the falsehood of your stance.
4-Understanding of the scholars proves the falsehood of your stance.
5- The derived ruling of fiqh (of the verse) proves the falsehood of your stance.
6-The reason and events behind revealing this verse proves the falsehood of your stance
7-That even the ultra hardline, radical, extremist terrorist do not use or understand that verse in the wrapped narrative that you imply.
I mean if even bloody isis, who look for and would use every usable scripture to further their narrative don't use that verse in the same blanket sense you claim, then it clearly shows the bs involved in your claim.
The only time that this particular verse is shoved into this narrative is always by Islamophobes who are trying (desperately) to gain more bashing points.

Apologies MohamedDarcy for derailing.
(edited 7 years ago)

3-History and siirah of the prophet proves again the falsehood of your stance.

Are you saying that Mohammed didn't ever capture, enslave, extort from, kill or otherwise punish disbelievers, and exhort his followers to do the same?
Are you saying that Mohammed didn't ever capture, enslave, extort from, kill or otherwise punish disbelievers, and exhort his followers to do the same?

You are completely disregarding the post you are responding to and just making a similar point with different words.
You are completely disregarding the post you are responding to and just making a similar point with different words.

And you are being evasive.
And you are being evasive.

I think we all know that if there is an intolerable position to take in regards to apostates, LGBT people, polytheists etc.. then Zamestaneh will be sure to take that position.
Original post by The Epicurean
I think we all know that if there is an intolerable position to take in regards to apostates, LGBT people, polytheists etc.. then Zamestaneh will be sure to take that position.

:wink:

’Ibn Taymiyyah said about the Rafidhah[i.e shia muslims], “They are more evil than most of the people of desires, and they are more deserving of being killed than the Khawarij. (Majmoo’ul-Fataawaa 28/482)’Would the above be justifiable ? I ask this not to spam you the question, but because it is relevant to the particular part in bold.
Original post by MuhammadDarcy
x

Are you an ashari brother? I have found their position to be far more logical than that of the salafi's.

Brother R'aid has pretty much demolished salafi-ism in this videos. He is from the ahlus-sunnah.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkAW17wfktA6qF465PyPfc0-M1xNRj2Or

Great playlist.

If salafi saudi-arabia was replaced by ashari's, the world would be a better place.

I keep getting told there are far more ashari's than salafi's, where can i meet non-salafi's ? It seems to be the other way around where i am from.
Original post by Tawheed
’Ibn Taymiyyah said about the Rafidhah[i.e shia muslims], “They are more evil than most of the people of desires, and they are more deserving of being killed than the Khawarij. (Majmoo’ul-Fataawaa 28/482)’

I would correct Rafidhah to mean one who rejects the caliphates of Abu Bakr (RA) and Umar (RA) (and by extention Uthmaan (RA)), as not all Shia reject them.

Would you agree that say a civilian who supports ISIS should not be killed but a soldier for ISIS should? Then if one says ISIS deserve to be killed, does that mean one supports the massacring of civilians too, or rather would you interpret it to mean that those who run the show and fight for Daesh should be killed? Or perhaps replace "ISIS" with Nazi Germans, if you like. In anycase, Ibn Taymiyyahs quote is to be interpreted in a similar way, and therefore his fatwa does not support the killing of the innocent, rather there is a specific context. Sure, you will perhaps still be averse to the implication that maybe the ullema and the learned amongst the 'Rafidhah' would fall under this fatwa, but my point is not to appraise his fatwa, rather just show that there is a specific context to it.
I would correct Rafidhah to mean one who rejects the caliphates of Abu Bakr (RA) and Umar (RA) (and by extention Uthmaan (RA)), as not all Shia reject them.

Would you agree that say a civilian who supports ISIS should not be killed but a soldier for ISIS should? Then if one says ISIS deserve to be killed, does that mean one supports the massacring of civilians too, or rather would you interpret it to mean that those who run the show and fight for Daesh should be killed? Or perhaps replace "ISIS" with Nazi Germans, if you like. In anycase, Ibn Taymiyyahs quote is to be interpreted in a similar way, and therefore his fatwa does not support the killing of the innocent, rather there is a specific context. Sure, you will perhaps still be averse to the implication that maybe the ullema and the learned amongst the 'Rafidhah' would fall under this fatwa, but my point is not to appraise his fatwa, rather just show that there is a specific context to it.

90% of shia's reject the caliphates of the first three caliphs. Would you argue the fatwah applies to the majority of shias?

I would argue i am not a layman. Am i worthy of death? Are my ulema all worthy of death? Is the sheikh that conducts jummah at my local shia mosque worthy of death?

What about my mother, who was a sunni who became a shia?

So i take it you support the death fatwah in the right context i.e for the majority of shias, who know what they believe, or at the very least, for the shia ulema, local sheikhs at mosque and so on?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Tawheed
90% of shia's reject the caliphates of the first three caliphs. Would you argue the fatwah applies to the majority of shias?

I would argue i am not a layman. Am i worthy of death? Are my ulema all worthy of death? Is the sheikh that conducts jummah at my local shia mosque worthy of death?

So i take it you support the death fatwah in the right context i.e for the majority of shias, who know what they believe, or at the very least, for the shia ulema, local sheikhs at mosque and so on?

The Fatwa would only relate to the learned amongst that 90%, most probably; to clarify I haven't read the context or the book containing this Fatwa, so I am only guessing.
It is worth considering that the 'Rafidhah' of Ibn Taymiyyah's time which he is referring might be different to the 'Rafidhah' of our time, but those similarlities and differences and contexts would be determined by a scholar, so he would be the one determining whether or not the fatwa would apply to various individuals - like it could apply just to Yassir Al Habib types but not yourself, or it could apply to all of you, I don't know; currently you are asking for my opinion and view on a Fatwa and subject and I haven't even read into.
Original post by Tawheed
Just to know where we all stand here, and i will inshAllah respond to your posts individually, are we in agreement that the following fatwah is to be condemned?

‘’Ibn Taymiyyah said about the Rafidhah[i.e shia muslims], “They are more evil than most of the people of desires, and they are more deserving of being killed than the Khawarij. (Majmoo’ul-Fataawaa 28/482)’

Neither of you actually agree with him? This is , in my eyes, a simple yes or no. Any answer in-between is as problematic as a yes, i agree.

I certainly do not agree with that, and it is quite ridiculous of you to ask such a question.
Asking to condemn what is already reprehensible is reprehensible in itself.

Thoughts on this?

‘’Ibn Taymiyyah said about the Rafidhah[i.e shia muslims], “They are more evil than most of the people of desires, and they are more deserving of being killed than the Khawarij. (Majmoo’ul-Fataawaa 28/482)’

sheesh louise you don't give up at stirring crap do you.
You certainly have lost what little respect I had left for you.

And since you seem to like playing these kinds of games.
Let me try as well:
You may or may not be aware of these things found in the books of khomaini:
*Note the following from same paragaph of dealing with the 'other' muslim.
فغيرنا ليسوا إخواننا ولو كانوا مسلمين
All those others are not our brethren even if they claim islam.
فلا شبهة في عدم احترامهم بل هو من ضروري المذهب
thus there is no doubt that we must disrespect them, nay it is essential we do so.
بل الناظر في الاخبار الكثيرة في الابواب المتفرقة لا يرتاب في جواز هتكهم والوقيعة فيهم، بل الائمة المعصومون، اكثروا في الطعن واللعن عليهم وذكر مسائيهم.
And anyone who pays close attention to our books and what is mentioned of them can see the validity of insulting them in every way possible, curse them, oppose them, even our imams did so.
Then the author Khomaini goes on to quote a shia hadith saying:
Everyone except us are children of whores (ie everyone on the planet)

On the topic of children of whores we have Yusuf al-Bahrani another prominent marji who says:
من أوضح الواضحات في جواز غيبة المخالفين طعن الأئمة - عليه السلام - بأنهم أولاد زنا
What is clearer than clear is the validity of backbiting the opposers, a clear example of this is the imams calling them illegitimate children

Spoiler

Bahrani, then closes by saying:
وبالجملة فالامر فيما ذكرناه اشهر من ان ينك
Gnerally this matter is too well known to be denied.
And this all comes under a page/section titled:
The opposers are kaffir/disbelievers.
Another prominat shia khoie says:
ثبت في الروايات والأدعية والزيارات جواز لعن المخالفين ، ووجوب البراءة منهم ، وإكثار السب عليهم واتهامهم والوقيعة فيهم
It is clearly mentioned in our narrations the validity of cursing the opposers, disuniting with them and to continually insult and accuse them and backbite them

In al Kafi under section ''people to avoid'' this hadith can be found:
يا أبا الربيع لا تخالطوهم فإن الأكراد حي من أحياء الجن كشف الله عنهم الغطاء فلا تخالطوهم
Do not mix with the kurds for they are from the devil

قال لي أبو عبد الله عليه*السلام لا تعامل ذا عاهة فإنهم أظلم شيء
Do not interact with the disabled for they are the darkest of things

بن البختري قال استقرض قهرمان لأبي عبد الله عليه*السلام من رجل طعاما لأبي عبد الله عليه*السلام فألح في التقاضي فقال له أبو عبد الله عليه*السلام ألم أنهك أن تستقرض لي ممن لم يكن له فكان.
A man once borrowed from someone, then the person owed kept asking when he will get what is owed to him, to which the imam sayed: Have I not warned you of borrowing from those who were poor then became rich?

عدة من أصحابنا ، عن أحمد بن محمد ، عن ابن فضال ، عن ظريف بن ناصح ، عن أبي عبد الله عليه*السلام قال لا تخالطوا ولا تعاملوا إلا من نشأ في الخير.
Do not mix with or interact with anyone except those born into richness and money.

أمير المؤمنين ( عليه السلام ) : إياكم ونكاح الزنج فإنه خلق مشوه .
Do not marry the negro for they are deformed creatures
(classed as sahih by al majlisi)

This is all summreised for us by Al-tussi when he said:
وينبغي أن يتجنب مخالطة السفلة من الناس والأدنين منهم، ولا يعامل إلا من نشأ في خير، ويجتنب معاملة ذوي العاهات والمحارفين. ولا ينبغي أن يخالط أحدا من الأكراد، ويتجنب مبايعتهم ومشاراتهم ومناكحتهم
It is imparative to not mix with the despicable people and lowly level ones (could be status could be manners, we can give husnuzan here).
And only do dealings with those born of richness, and dealing with the disfigured or disabled should be avoided. And we must not mix or interact with any of the Kurds and we must avoid doing business dealings with them or marriages with them

Do you denounce these men and their sectarian hate preaching, their racism, classism and all round dispecable views?
Do you (unlike khomini) view other muslims as brothers
Do you (like your imams) view everyone on the planet as children of w?
Do you (like great prominent marjis) view kurds as the devil incarnate?
in my eyes, a simple yes or no. Any answer in-between is as problematic as a yes, I agree.

NB: posted this here since the question was posted by you here too
I certainly do not agree with that, and it is quite ridiculous of you to ask such a question.
Asking to condemn what is already reprehensible is reprehensible in itself.

I feel i was within my rights to ask such a question given that it is Ibn Taymiyyah after all, who is well respected in such circles. As you can see, brother Zamestaneh has refused to condemn it - arguing instead its potential application given the context.

I didn't appreciate the foul language that followed, nor the patronising statements about 'losing what little respect' you had. So i will not carry on this conversation with you.

Wasallam.
Original post by Tawheed
I feel i was within my rights to ask such a question given that it is Ibn Taymiyyah after all, who is well respected in such circles. As you can see, brother Zamestaneh has refused to condemn it - arguing instead its potential application given the context.

I didn't appreciate the foul language that followed, nor the patronising statements about 'losing what little respect' you had. So i will not carry on this conversation with you.

Wasallam.

I was being honest, and indeed it was a ridiculous question. And equally I was within rights to point out the ridiculousness of your post.

By foul language I suppose you mean sons of the w word, children of zina, deformed creatures?
I'm sorry but these are not my words, but the words of your marji's and esteemed ayatullahs.
I know it is quite a predicament you face of either condemning the vile narrative in these books and natures of those who wrote them and lose your madhab.
or simply take the easy way out of refusing to answer. Refuse to even say you condemn these things.
As you said in your post and made it a abundantly clear, wishy washy in between answer is as problematic as saying yes I agree.
Since I see no clear condemnation her or denunciation. I think it would be safe to assume applicable by modern day shia, and that you agree or even believe in this.

Wa alaikum al salaam.
Original post by Tawheed

Apologies I seem to have forgotten this from my earlier post:
Mohamed Al-Sadar and Al-Shirazii: kill all wahabi salafis

[video="youtube;2ZTwRWyX3E4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZTwRWyX3E4[/video]

The vid has 2 parts:
1stHazim al a'araji (a leading sadrist figure) saying about the need of a fatwa (presumably about killing so called wahabis) and he says the "fatwa is present, has been given by Mohamed Al-Sadar. These wahabis are najis (filth) more najis than dogs (filthier than dogs) take your weapon and kill/fight every filthy wahabi".

2nd Al-Shirazii saying: '' The dirty, kaffir, nasibi, terrorist wahabi must be killed, and anyone who supports them in one way or another. Be it a scholar or non scholar (laymen?) must be killed. And whomever doesn't believe in killing these people and their supporters is openly disbelieving in the quran and becoming a kaffir.

Do you think that the fatwa applies to Zam who is a salafi?
What about TMG or Fulan, do you as believe (as hazim al a'arahi quoted Mohamed al sadar) that they are filth, in relation to their salafi manhaj or support of salafi scholars, wahabi as they have been called?
Do you support of their use of inflammatory terminology (wahabi) which you have used on some occasion?
Do you think I, since I don't believe in killing of the people termed wahabi am a kaffir as per al-shirazii?
Is there a right context to this?
Original post by Tawheed

It's not that I refuse to condemn it, rather I can't condemn it based on emotions because I haven't read much into works of Ibn Taymiyyah, the fiqh of how a state deals with perceived deviance, or what takes one out of the fold of Islam (beyond some basic principles related to Kufr and Shirk), so I can only speculate as to the application of the fatwa. If you want me to condemn it based on emotions because it has very serious applications without me having knowledge, then one might as well condemn ayaat of the Quran related to war out of ignorance and emotions too since that is the approach you appear to be encouraging.
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending