The Student Room Group

University is the biggest scam in history?

I don't think it's good how young people are constantly being told they they must go to university all the time. It's not like it was 20 years ago. Pretty much EVERYONE is going to university now. People are going to university and guess what happens once they leave? They move back with their parents, except now they have £30k+ of debt at just age 21 that they'll most likely never pay back. University really doesn't help get a good high paying job now unless you've done a STEM course at a top university, and even then the competition is insanely high. I think it's pretty irresponsible to encourage young people into this kind of debt without them realizing what they're getting into until it's too late.
Reply 1
Original post by FolloUrDreams
I don't think it's good how young people are constantly being told they they must go to university all the time. It's not like it was 20 years ago. Pretty much EVERYONE is going to university now. People are going to university and guess what happens once they leave? They move back with their parents, except now they have £30k+ of debt at just age 21 that they'll most likely never pay back. University really doesn't help get a good high paying job now unless you've done a STEM course at a top university, and even then the competition is insanely high. I think it's pretty irresponsible to encourage young people into this kind of debt without them realizing what they're getting into until it's too late.

or one could say because everyone else has a degree, you also need one. not to stand out, but to keep up with the competition.
It was the same when I was in 6th form. (2005) They made it sound as though it was the only option. They never mentioned things like apprenticeships. Or even *gasp* going straight into work and working your way up into management or similar.
Original post by Tiger Rag
Or even *gasp* going straight into work and working your way up into management or similar.

I can;t think of anything more tedious.
Original post by Tiger Rag
It was the same when I was in 6th form. (2005) They made it sound as though it was the only option. They never mentioned things like apprenticeships. Or even *gasp* going straight into work and working your way up into management or similar.

Yes, people are expecting to be put in higher paid jobs just because they're going to University, but they're not realising that this really isn't the case. The majority are just putting themselves into a lifetime of debt and it's pretty irresponsible to encourage this.
Yeah, its been a waste of money and I went to do a prestigious course at a RG. Employment prospects have been ****.
Reply 6
At the current price it is pretty much a scam. Many places offer ridiculously poor value for money.

Can't think of any other example where people would willingly give away so much of their money for so little in return.

However, if they reduced the cost and ditched some of the useless degrees it could be a really positive thing.
Does anyone know what the £9250 a year actually goes towards? Especially for lower institutions which are near the bottom of the league table... I highly doubt that students are getting their value for money.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jessyjellytot14
Does anyone know what the £9250 a year actually goes towards? Especially for lower institutions which are near the bottom of the league table... I highly doubt that students are getting their value for money.

Prostitutes and cocaine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending