The Student Room Group

Philosophy Applicants 2017

Scroll to see replies

Has anyone heard anything back from Durham or Cambridge? I hear they have started given offers for other subjects...
Original post by pixiespixies
Has anyone heard anything back from Durham or Cambridge? I hear they have started given offers for other subjects...

My brother (who's on this thread) has an offer from Durham and an interview from Cambridge for philosophy :smile:
Original post by puddleduck
My brother (who's on this thread) has an offer from Durham and an interview from Cambridge for philosophy :smile:

Well done to him! When did he find out the news about them both and what college did he applied for at Cambridge?
Well done to him! When did he find out the news about them both and what college did he applied for at Cambridge?

He got Durham about two weeks ago, and his Cambridge interview today, and has applied to Clare.
(edited 7 years ago)
What reading have you all been doing?
Reply 65
Original post by SunnysideSea

In my PS? 'Puzzle of God/Evil', 'Meditations on First Philosophy' & 'Mein Kampf'

Besides this 'The God Delusion', plan to read some Hume, Wittgenstein & Russell aswell

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NMcG
In my PS? 'Puzzle of God/Evil', 'Meditations on First Philosophy' & 'Mein Kampf'

Besides this 'The God Delusion', plan to read some Hume, Wittgenstein & Russell aswell

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds good. I wouldn't trust the philosophy in the God Delusion, it gets ripped apart by so many philosophers (try John Lennox doing it on youtube). He's a biologist, not a philsopher. Yh Russell's Problems of Philosophy is pretty cool (even if the first three chapters are copied from Berkeley!)
Reply 67
Hiii

Name/Location: Harrie, Brighton

GCSE's: 6A* 4A

AS Level: n/a

A2 Prediction: A*A*A*A in English Lit, RS, Psychology, Art (also predicted A* in the EPQ)
Course: Philosophy & Theology

Universities Applying For: Oxford St.Peters, Kings, Exeter, Bristol

Offers: Kings and Bristol

For oxford applicants: how did you find the philosophy admission test? have you heard about interviews yet? what kind of stuff did you put on your ps?
Reply 68
Original post by H224455
Hiii

Name/Location: Harrie, Brighton

GCSE's: 6A* 4A

AS Level: n/a

A2 Prediction: A*A*A*A in English Lit, RS, Psychology, Art (also predicted A* in the EPQ)
Course: Philosophy & Theology

Universities Applying For: Oxford St.Peters, Kings, Exeter, Bristol

Offers: Kings and Bristol

For oxford applicants: how did you find the philosophy admission test? have you heard about interviews yet? what kind of stuff did you put on your ps?

I thought the admissions test was ok? Could've gone better, could've gone much worse, don't think anyone has heard about interviews yet ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
just got an offer from Kings College London on studying philosophy!!! wohoo!!
Original post by SunnysideSea

Utilitarianism, On Liberty and The Republic. Would like to read some Nietzsche cause I find him interesting. I'm applying for a joint in Politics and am working on The End of the Party by Andrew Rawnsley.
Reply 71
Original post by Tomlee999
just got an offer from Kings College London on studying philosophy!!! wohoo!!

Nice one 🎊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 72
did anyone do any essay competitions?
Original post by H224455
did anyone do any essay competitions?

I did the Fitzwilliam Classics essay competition which I was highly commended in :smile: (I wrote on Plato's Republic so it was pretty much only philosophy)
Reply 74
Original post by theravadaz
I did the Fitzwilliam Classics essay competition which I was highly commended in :smile: (I wrote on Plato's Republic so it was pretty much only philosophy)

well done!!
Reply 75
Original post by jdizzle12345
Hi

GCSE's: 10A*
AS Level: AAA in Maths, Further Maths, RS. UMS average: ~93UMS
A2 Prediction: A*A*A* in Maths, RS and Economics
Course Applying For: Philosophy
Universities Applying For: Cambridge, UCL, LSE, Durham, Bristol

Offers: Bristol (last choice)- AAA

have you heard anything back form UCL or LSE?

I have an offer for Politics and Philosophy at Durham :smile:
Reply 77
Has anyone who has applied to Oxford for Philosophy and Theology heard anything yet?
Yup , i apply for philosophy and theology at oxford, just recieved a rejection:frown:
Reply 79
Original post by Tomlee999
Yup , i apply for philosophy and theology at oxford, just recieved a rejection:frown:

Oh No!!! I'm really sorry, what college did you apply to?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending