Philosophy Applicants 2017

Scroll to see replies

Name/Location: I'm Beth, from St Helens
GCSE's: Dist*, 6 A's, 4 B's
AS Level: *Achieved* B Sociology, D Geography *Predicted* A Law, A Psychology
A2: *Achieved* A Philosophy, Dist* ICT, *Predicted* A Law
Course Applying For: Philosophy & Politics or Philosophy & Sociology
Universities Applying For: Sussex, Essex, Southampton and Brighton
Offers: ABB Southampton, Interview for Brighton, Still waiting on Sussex and Essex:smile::smile:
Reply 141
So now we've hit the deadline, how close is everyone to deciding firm/insurance? Personally I'm extremely close to being happy with St. Andrews firm with Birmingham insurance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone got an offer for Philosophy from Edinburgh?
Reply 143
Original post by phillies21
Congrats!!! do you mind telling me what you GCSE/ A-level grades are please?

Sure ah I got 10A*s and one A at GCSE and then AAAB at AS, I was predicted A*A*A and got a durham offer of AAB so v happy
Original post by NMcG
So now we've hit the deadline, how close is everyone to deciding firm/insurance? Personally I'm extremely close to being happy with St. Andrews firm with Birmingham insurance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm thinking I might firm Durham with Manchester as my insurance (although I don't think I'll actually go there, should I miss my grades...) I'm also thinking of reapplying this year to Cambridge for 2018 entry if I get my predicted grades so my thoughts are alllll over the place right now. St Andrews is a really good choice though, I really regret not applying
Reply 145
Original post by xxx-ooo-xxx
I'm thinking I might firm Durham with Manchester as my insurance (although I don't think I'll actually go there, should I miss my grades...) I'm also thinking of reapplying this year to Cambridge for 2018 entry if I get my predicted grades so my thoughts are alllll over the place right now. St Andrews is a really good choice though, I really regret not applying

See I was tempted to reapply for Oxford next year if I somehow pulled off 3A*! But I'm really not sure how I'd spend the year off or if it's worth it. St.A/ Durham (got my offer today) are still fairly elite universities that give me the same thing if I can achieve a 2:1 or better so I'll probably be happy at either. I'll always wonder 'what if?' About Oxford though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NMcG
See I was tempted to reapply for Oxford next year if I somehow pulled off 3A*! But I'm really not sure how I'd spend the year off or if it's worth it. St.A/ Durham (got my offer today) are still fairly elite universities that give me the same thing if I can achieve a 2:1 or better so I'll probably be happy at either. I'll always wonder 'what if?' About Oxford though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's exactly my thinking, I feel like it's something I won't be able to forget until I find out whether they like me or not, it might drive me insane unless I apply...
Reply 147
Original post by NMcG

Posted from TSR Mobile

When did your St Andrews offer come through? I'm firming cambridge and then deciding between Durham, St Andrews(if I get it) and UCL as a reserve
Reply 148
Original post by Ro5ha
When did your St Andrews offer come through? I'm firming cambridge and then deciding between Durham, St Andrews(if I get it) and UCL as a reserve

I got my St. Andrews offer on the 14/11/16

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have already applied to study physics at university and have got offers from 3 out of 5(and interview at York and still waiting for university of Birmingham to reply) but I think I've made the wrong choice and want to study philosophy instead. I know I can use Extra but I'm scared that I won't get an offer, I really want to study philosophy at Warwick but I don't know if that's a massive risk... what do you think?
Name/Location: Roisin / Aberdeenshire

National 5's: 3A's 1B 2C's

Higher: AABB

Advanced Higher and Higher Predictions: 2A's for Advanced Higher and A for Higher

Course Applying For: Philosophy & Film / Philosophy, Film and Television / Philosophy, Film and Media

Universities Applying For: Stirling, Glasgow, Dundee, St Andrews and Lancaster

Offers: Stirling (unconditional) and Lancaster (conditional)

Is there anyone else doing philosophy and film studies...? :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey. Did you get an offer from Oxford? Just wondering because I got similar grades to you and I'm thinking about applying for P&T this year :smile:
Original post by Chocsaway
GCSE's - 9 A*, 2 A , 1 B
A Levels - 4 A* ( summer 2016)
Courses Applying to - P & T Oxford, Philosophy everywhere else.
Universities applying to - Oxford ( St Peters), Bristol, Exeter, UCL.

Waiting to hear......
Just got an offer from Edinburgh for MA Philosophy - ABB (website says typical offer is AAB so!)
Reply 153
Fellow oxford rejects, has anyone received their feedback yet? as it's over a month now and I'm wondering if I've been forgotten about
GCSE's 4 A's 6 B's
AS - ABBB

St Andrews - AAB (Firm)
Durham - AAA
Aberdeen - BBB
Stirling - BBC
Edinburgh - Rejection (didn't accept one of my A Levels)
Original post by queenofmirkwood
I'm a current 1st year at Oxford studying philosophy and theology. If you have any questions about admissions or Oxford etc., please don't hesitate to ask :smile: I also applied to UCL andKCL (both straight philosophy) and Bristol and Durham (joint course), if you're interested in any info about those uni's. Good luck with your applications :smile:

Hi :smile:
I'm applying for philosophy and theology at Oxford for 2018 entry and I was wondering what the interviews were like? I'm quite nervous about being completely stumped in the interview! Also how did you prepare for the pre interview test if there is only the one sample paper?? Sorry for a lot of questions thank you! xx
GCSE: 9 A* 1 A
AS: 1 A in Biology
A2 Predictions: A* A* A (English Literature, Religious Studies and Modern History)
EPQ Prediction: A*

Applying for Philosophy and Theology

Oxford -- pending
Durham -- pending
Bristol University -- conditional offer
Exeter University -- conditional offer
University of Nottingham -- unconditional offer
Original post by skyefrail
Hi :smile:
I'm applying for philosophy and theology at Oxford for 2018 entry and I was wondering what the interviews were like? I'm quite nervous about being completely stumped in the interview! Also how did you prepare for the pre interview test if there is only the one sample paper?? Sorry for a lot of questions thank you! xx

Sorry for the late reply! Hope the philosophy test went well.

I wrote a bit about my interview experience on here before, so I'll copy it!

For interviews I would look over your personal statement and analyse any reading you've done as they may form part of the discussion. I had 5 interviews - 3 at my first choice college (2 Theo, 1 Phil) and 2 at another college (1 in each). I was given a passage to read prior to or during every interview to discuss. I found my philosophy interviews more challenging than my theology ones but don't be afraid to defend your point of view.

The tutors are interested in how you respond to something which you haven't encountered before, drawing upon knowledge you already have, and your ability to reason critically in response to unexpected questions/comments. Most importantly, try to stay relaxed and be yourself - the tutors aren't interested in pre-prepared answers - they're interested in how you'd you be in a tutorial-like situation. Also, remember to stay calm, and think before you answer - do not rush your answers - tutors are interested in your thought process and how you arrive at a particular conclusion.

Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending