The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Applying to Bath Economics HELP PLEASE!

At the moment I am pondering whether to put Bath in as one of my choices, I am taking Math, Economics, Business Studies, and an EPQ with A*AA predicted but Bath want AAA (due to my EPQ, they recently introduced their typical offer), however they say that my application will be less competitive due to my narrow subject combination, and last year they did not give any offers to people with my subjects however they didn't have the alternative EPQ offer last year - will it be worth applying to Bath? My current choices are Nottingham, Exeter, Surrey, Loughborough, and Kent - if I was to swap a uni for Bath it would be Exeter as they ask for A*AA-AAB, and I already have A*AA-AAA, AAA, AAB, and BBB soo I am contemplating whether it would be worth it to do this?!

Alternatively, should I keep my current choices, and if my grades exceed say AAA from Nottingham then I try for Bath through adjustment?

Any advice would be appreciated thanks

Scroll to see replies

It really is a risk you have to take. Competitiveness is not something you can control at this stage so if you meet the entry requirements it will be a question of how you match up to the competition.
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
You could apply to Bath and if they reject you (hopefully they won't) then you can change a uni that rejected you and apply to somewhere else, in your case Exeter. I remember people doing that last year but I'm not 100% sure how it works.

Best of luck to you!
Original post by alevelssuck_
You could apply to Bath and if they reject you (hopefully they won't) then you can change a uni that rejected you and apply to somewhere else, in your case Exeter. I remember people doing that last year but I'm not 100% sure how it works.

Best of luck to you!

I thought that's if ALL your uni's reject you? But I will look into it.
Original post by alleycat393
It really is a risk you have to take. Competitiveness is not something you can control at this stage so if you meet the entry requirements it will be a question of how you match up to the competition.

That is what I will tell my parents when we have the final discussion in a few days time xD Will be submitting my application first day back after half term.. Thanks for the help people!! Really appreciate it.
Original post by azizadil1998
I thought that's if ALL your uni's reject you? But I will look into it.

Nope my friend got rejected for just southampton last year and within a day he applied to another uni. Hopefully its still possible to do that.

Best of luck to you!

Oh I think you were talking about UCAS Extra where you choose to reject all the offers you've received or don't receive any by the deadline then you can apply to one more.. hopefully I will not be doing that ahahah!
Would be sooooo annoying if Bath don't give me an offer as one of the only reasons I did the EPQ was because I knew some uni's gave lower offers (that was like 50% of it, other 50% was because I really liked the topic and wanted to find out more about it!)
Oh I think you were talking about UCAS Extra where you choose to reject all the offers you've received or don't receive any by the deadline then you can apply to one more.. hopefully I will not be doing that ahahah!

Nono I'm not talking about that lool. I'm talking about the actual UCAS application, he sent his application off around early November, received offers within a week apart from one and then applied to another one. A lot of people last year done that soo I don't think what he told me was a lie.
Hi! I currently take Maths, F. Maths, Economics, Business and EPQ. I know that my subject choice seems narrow to universities as well, but I am still applying to the top ones for Economics - i.e. Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick and Essex. I was thinking about applying to Bath but changed it to Warwick instead. In my opinion, it's not really how narrow your subjects are that defines whether you will get an offer, but instead how good your predicted grades, GCSEs, AS Levels, personal statement and other parts of the application are too. So, I think you shouldn't let your subject choices stop you from applying to the course at the universities that you like best :smile:
Would be sooooo annoying if Bath don't give me an offer as one of the only reasons I did the EPQ was because I knew some uni's gave lower offers (that was like 50% of it, other 50% was because I really liked the topic and wanted to find out more about it!)

What topic are you doing for your EPQ?
What topic are you doing for your EPQ?

Pakistan's Economic Outlook - Challenges it Faces to Achieve it's Potential :redface:
Original post by Emma73737
Hi! I currently take Maths, F. Maths, Economics, Business and EPQ. I know that my subject choice seems narrow to universities as well, but I am still applying to the top ones for Economics - i.e. Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick and Essex. I was thinking about applying to Bath but changed it to Warwick instead. In my opinion, it's not really how narrow your subjects are that defines whether you will get an offer, but instead how good your predicted grades, GCSEs, AS Levels, personal statement and other parts of the application are too. So, I think you shouldn't let your subject choices stop you from applying to the course at the universities that you like best :smile:

Yes but you have further math :P I think my personal statement is as good as it can be, and my GCSE's I got 4 A's, 3 B's, and C (A's in Math Sciences and Econ) - not too shabby there lol. AS Levels basically last year I retook and did A2 so technically I already have 2 A Levels in Econ and Business Studies (both B's) but I am resitting them to get an A* in Econ and A in Business hopefully. The only proper A2 I'm doing is Math atm. Basically the only thing that can let me down is my subjects from what I know so far - but none of the other uni's I'm applying to care about them so its fine.
Nono I'm not talking about that lool. I'm talking about the actual UCAS application, he sent his application off around early November, received offers within a week apart from one and then applied to another one. A lot of people last year done that soo I don't think what he told me was a lie.

Oh well ok hopefully that's true! I'll get back to you when I apply Mid November, Bath have already told me that they most likely won't give me a reply till January when they've received all applications so they can assess me against all the competition.
Oh well ok hopefully that's true! I'll get back to you when I apply Mid November, Bath have already told me that they most likely won't give me a reply till January when they've received all applications so they can assess me against all the competition.

Best of luck then!

You can only change your choices within 14 days of submitting your application.

After that you can't substitute - so your advice is only relevant to someone who is rejected within 2 weeks of applying.
Reply 16
I reckon you have a good shot I got an offer from bath for economics with placement and my subject choices are pretty similar maths further maths economics and accounts. They did include the EPQ in the offer its AAA and A in EPQ if you take maths and economics or A*AA if you take economics or maths. Good luck with your application :smile:
Original post by Maceyf
I reckon you have a good shot I got an offer from bath for economics with placement and my subject choices are pretty similar maths further maths economics and accounts. They did include the EPQ in the offer its AAA and A in EPQ if you take maths and economics or A*AA if you take economics or maths. Good luck with your application :smile:

Oh nice!! Did you get that for entry in 2017?

Thanks! I'm probably going to go for it tbh. no point of NOT taking the risk I suppose.
Reply 18
Oh nice!! Did you get that for entry in 2017?

Thanks! I'm probably going to go for it tbh. no point of NOT taking the risk I suppose.

Nope 2018 taking a gap year going for work placements and travelling I think

Yeah deffo I think you will get an offer
It's definitely worth going for it - hopefully your EPQ should balance out your narrow subject range. They may perhaps go slightly higher with your offer, A*AA+A in EPQ because of it. I would be surprised if you heard back before the deadline in January. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest