The Student Room Group

GCSEs for Oxford Physics

Does anyone know what the average gcses roughly are for oxford physics applicants and how important they are when applying? Like I have 8A*s and 3As, would that be considered good, bad or just average?
Thanks
Original post by Quantum42
Does anyone know what the average gcses roughly are for oxford physics applicants and how important they are when applying? Like I have 8A*s and 3As, would that be considered good, bad or just average?
Thanks

GCSEs are not of huge importance. I'd have thought the average number of A*s would probably be in the 6-9 range but that's more correlative than anything.
For reference, I applied in 2015 for 2016 entry, with 6 A*s at GCSE, AAAB (including 98% maths, 95% further maths, 94% physics) and predictions of a further AA at AS (chemistry and additional further maths) and A*A*A* at A level.

I scored one mark under the interview threshold on the PAT. If your grades are "good", they will interview you anyway if you marginally miss the PAT cut off. I was not invited to interview, so my grades were not considered "good". I'd suggest this would place your GCSEs as a similar level - slightly above average, compared to mine being slightly below (as my AS and A level grades could not be better - AAAAAB and A*A*A* - so it must have been my GCSE grades which brought my application down.)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Quantum42
Thanks

Your grades are totally fine, GCSE grades are barely used in the physics applications, don't worry! :smile: (I got 4A*, 5A, 3B and got in)

Original post by loveire&song
For reference, I applied in 2015 for 2016 entry, with 6 A*s at GCSE, AAAB (including 98% maths, 95% further maths, 94% physics) and predictions of a further AA at AS (chemistry and additional further maths) and A*A*A* at A level.

I scored one mark under the interview threshold on the PAT. If your grades are "good", they will interview you anyway if you marginally miss the PAT cut off. I was not invited to interview, so my grades were not considered "good". I'd suggest this would place your GCSEs as a similar level - slightly above average, compared to mine being slightly below (as my AS and A level grades could not be better - AAAAAB and A*A*A* - so it must have been my GCSE grades which brought my application down.)

Not really - if you miss the PAT cut off mark (even by just a mark, sadly) you will only get an interview for extenuating circumstances (e.g. illness during PAT) or "other evidence of exellence" - not just good GCSE grades. The PAT is the most (only, really, other than having the correct predicted grades etc.) important thing in getting an interview.
Sorry to bump up an old thread, but just thought it would be useful for everyone who searches it up.

Oxford recently changed their shortlisting score and no longer has a 'cut-off' PAT mark. Instead, they combine both your GCSEs (contextualised) and your overall PAT score, so, arguably, GCSEs are now more important than before.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending