The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Just got my Accomodation offer - Astor College, anyone else get theirs?

Just got an accomdoation letter from UCL, I put proximity as my preference, and luckiy I DONT HAVE A SHARED ROOM OFFER for those who remember me whining about it, however it does look like a craphole in the picture on UCL's website, but is it really as bad at it looks, or worse?

Whats the pro's and con's of Astor for those who know, and does anyone know where I could get some pictures of what Astor is like on the inside? Thanks.

Edit: I got my accomodation letter a tad earlier than most people with conditional offers, as I didn't follow the normal A-level strand (did a BTEC instead) and notified UCL last week that I got the required grades, nonetheless, anyone heard from UCL regarding accomodation? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
unknownFluency
Just got an accomdoation letter from UCL, I put proximity as my preference, and luckiy I DONT HAVE A SHARED ROOM OFFER for those who remember me whining about it, however it does look like a craphole in the picture on UCL's website, but is it really as bad at it looks, or worse?

Whats the pro's and con's of Astor for those who know, and does anyone know where I could get some pictures of what Astor is like on the inside? Thanks.

Edit: I got my accomodation letter a tad earlier than most people with conditional offers, as I didn't follow the normal A-level strand (did a BTEC instead) and notified UCL last week that I got the required grades, nonetheless, anyone heard from UCL regarding accomodation? :smile:

I don't think anyone will forget you whining about it....you went on about it enough times (just kidding). Congrats...all that worrying and moaning was for nothing. :p:

Don't worry about it looking like a crap hole i'm sure it's ok...just be grateful you're not SHARING.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
You're lucky, I put proximity as my preference and they assigned me to Max Rayne house in Camdentown. And I got my unconditional offer in February and sent the housing form in at the beginning of March!
Reply 3
do you think we can pester the accom office about where we'll be allocated if we got our results today? or will it just piss them off?
You'll hear from them very soon, once you send back the paper confirming that you'll take up the course at UCL they'll send you the accommodation stuff a few days after, i think.
Lolly-88
I don't think anyone will forget you whining about it....you went on about it enough times (just kidding). Congrats...all that worrying and moaning was for nothing. :p:

Don't worry about it looking like a crap hole i'm sure it's ok...just be grateful you're not SHARING.

Heard where you'll be staying yet?
Reply 6
Astor is a dump. The water in the girls showers was turned off for 10 weeks because of legionnaires disease. The kitchens are shared between 16 and about 3' and 6' in size with one oven that takes ages to get going. The facilities advertised in the accomodation leaflet are also regularly let out to clubs and societies meaning Astor types get screwed over. There are also over-sensitive fire alarms and lots of angry firemen.

However:

Accomodation standards vary from floor to floor -
Floor 2 - very nice
Floor 7 - craphole

Astor is the most social hall - you'll make lots of good friends.
The location is awesome - 10mins from UCL and Charlotte street is great
Reply 7
Hey dont wanna hijack the thread, but ive just got my UCL offer so expect i'll receive accomodation info in the next week or so. I want to stay in halls during the first year but since i live in north london i can get to UCL within 45mins down the northern line, so dont know if halls would be worth the expense.

What i want to know, is that if i decide to move out, will i be having to sign a contract for accomodation for the whole academic year? Could i move into halls, and if i decide its not worth the money or whatever, would i be able to simply move out, or am i tied into a years rent?

Thanks
I think we have till December to decide, after that you have to pay the rest, or at least quite a bit.
Bape
Hey dont wanna hijack the thread, but ive just got my UCL offer so expect i'll receive accomodation info in the next week or so. I want to stay in halls during the first year but since i live in north london i can get to UCL within 45mins down the northern line, so dont know if halls would be worth the expense.

What i want to know, is that if i decide to move out, will i be having to sign a contract for accomodation for the whole academic year? Could i move into halls, and if i decide its not worth the money or whatever, would i be able to simply move out, or am i tied into a years rent?

Thanks

I live in south london, and can get to UCl in 40 minutes on the northern line without having to changge trains. i take it your'e near edgware? im near mordan.. and im going fo r accommodation for the first year at least, might move back after my 1st year, or if i like it i might fidn somewhere else close to ucl. give it a go tbh..
Reply 10
unknownFluency
I live in south london, and can get to UCl in 40 minutes on the northern line without having to changge trains. i take it your'e near edgware? im near mordan.. and im going fo r accommodation for the first year at least, might move back after my 1st year, or if i like it i might fidn somewhere else close to ucl. give it a go tbh..

Yeah, im close to edgware (hendon), so not bad journey, single train. But the thing is, ive got a job at a shopping centre quite nearby which is (for a part time job) reallllllllly good money - at least as good, if not better paying as working on oxford street, but its for a weekday evening and sat and sun, so i'd have to keep on travelling up and down to work which is long.

But yeah i still wanna move out, but need a reason to justify spending all that money! If i do move out 1st year, i def wont be for 2nd and 3rd year, really wouldnt be able to afford that all.

When you move out, how often do you reckon youl visit home? Every weekend? Most? Some? etc. Because may end up paying for a room, thats im hardly ever at. It'l hurt that my weekly wage for 12 hours, (around £90) will not even be enough to cover rent! lol
I am living by UCL for 1st year then moving back. Best of both worlds.
(Another 40/45 minutes away person :smile: )
Reply 12
Got pretty lucky as well put proximity as my preference and managed to get Ramsay hall. Think its like 10 mins from the medicine lecture rooms.
Reply 13
wittys
Got pretty lucky as well put proximity as my preference and managed to get Ramsay hall. Think its like 10 mins from the medicine lecture rooms.

Ramsay is a dump
Bape
Yeah, im close to edgware (hendon), so not bad journey, single train. But the thing is, ive got a job at a shopping centre quite nearby which is (for a part time job) reallllllllly good money - at least as good, if not better paying as working on oxford street, but its for a weekday evening and sat and sun, so i'd have to keep on travelling up and down to work which is long.

But yeah i still wanna move out, but need a reason to justify spending all that money! If i do move out 1st year, i def wont be for 2nd and 3rd year, really wouldnt be able to afford that all.

When you move out, how often do you reckon youl visit home? Every weekend? Most? Some? etc. Because may end up paying for a room, thats im hardly ever at. It'l hurt that my weekly wage for 12 hours, (around £90) will not even be enough to cover rent! lol

Ahh you got a tricky situation. Personally, with those circumstances, i'd try and live at home for the fist year. You'll only be working to spend it on rent and it'll be time consuming. You could work in your first year, live at home in your 2nd or 3rd (and not work). You'd save time and money.

I'll prob visit home every 2 weeks, im not close to the family at all really, pretty independant in some respects, but some people choose to go weekly which is the norm I think. They're only a train away at the end of the day.
MonsieurE
Ramsay is a dump

Is it really? I, for some reason, think it looks pretty good. The room shown o nthe site doenst look bad at all (http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/accommodation/residences/halls-of-residence/)

Is it worse than Astor? :biggrin:
O wow, is this actually what Astor is like? http://www.ucl.ac.uk/residences/halls/self-catered/astor-college/index.shtml

if so, im HAPPY!
Reply 17
I hear Arthur Tattersall is awesome. At least it will be when I get there:biggrin:
Reply 18
unknownFluency
O wow, is this actually what Astor is like? http://www.ucl.ac.uk/residences/halls/self-catered/astor-college/index.shtml

if so, im HAPPY!

In a double room for couples - yes.

The rest of them are a mixed bag. Like I said earlier it depends which floor you are on as to how crappy the accomdation/decor is.
Reply 19
unknownFluency
Is it really? I, for some reason, think it looks pretty good. The room shown o nthe site doenst look bad at all (http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/accommodation/residences/halls-of-residence/)

Is it worse than Astor? :biggrin:

Last year it was far worse - they had to go over to the UCL main site for food and construction on a new block happened all year round. Most of the facilities it boasts aren't open either. Might be a bit better this year as I know the catering facilities have been re-furbished.

Astor was originally a subsidiary of Ramsay, with people going to eat at Ramsay. So interestingly Astor's kitchens were designed only to be used for the meals when it wasn't catered for. They haven't been upgraded since...

Latest

Trending

Trending