The Student Room Group

Podiatry - No A-Level in biology?

Hey everyone,
I have always been interested in studying nursing when I eventually go to Uni (currently working & travelling). However, after a recent trip to visit a podiatrist regarding a problem I've had when running, I've become completely fascinated by it. It's obviously still in a caring, hands on role working with the general public but more specific which is appealing. The hours are obviously better as well and having dealt with insomnia I feel this will be better suited than shift work.

I've started reading up on podiatry and speaking to one (a friends mother), and I really feel I would like this to be my career eventually. Obviously, I've looked into entry requirements and the majority of the 13 Universities that offer this course require Biology A-Level. My A-Levels are English Lit, Psychology, Photography (ABB) and a B in Geography AS. My GCSE's are fine and meet the requirements.

Could anyone help? Is it absolutely essential? Would this be overlooked is I shadowed a podiatrist for a year for example? Or if I completed a SMAE qualification. Is there anyway around this? Any advice is fantastic :smile: Thanks x
Reply 1
Original post by lucy-ell
Hey everyone,
I have always been interested in studying nursing when I eventually go to Uni (currently working & travelling). However, after a recent trip to visit a podiatrist regarding a problem I've had when running, I've become completely fascinated by it. It's obviously still in a caring, hands on role working with the general public but more specific which is appealing. The hours are obviously better as well and having dealt with insomnia I feel this will be better suited than shift work.

I've started reading up on podiatry and speaking to one (a friends mother), and I really feel I would like this to be my career eventually. Obviously, I've looked into entry requirements and the majority of the 13 Universities that offer this course require Biology A-Level. My A-Levels are English Lit, Psychology, Photography (ABB) and a B in Geography AS. My GCSE's are fine and meet the requirements.

Could anyone help? Is it absolutely essential? Would this be overlooked is I shadowed a podiatrist for a year for example? Or if I completed a SMAE qualification. Is there anyway around this? Any advice is fantastic :smile: Thanks x

Some universities state they require a biological science and others state social or biological science and others one science from Bio/Chem/Physics/Maths or Double Award Applied Science. Personally I would of struggled with Anatomy and Physiology without it.
Reply 2
Yeah I saw Southampton & Northampton would both accept Psychology.
What would you suggest I do to prepare myself?:smile:
Reply 3
Original post by lucy-ell
Yeah I saw Southampton & Northampton would both accept Psychology.
What would you suggest I do to prepare myself?:smile:

I have applied for Northampton join me lol. How did you find the biological section of psychology?

Quick Reply

Latest