The Student Room Group

What are the statistics on graduates in each sector in employment in their degree?

This is the whole reason why I became depressed, was because I saw no hope for the future and that I thought most graduates didn't actually get jobs, the whole thing about unemployment made me lose hope, and I wonder why everyone else at college had jobs but I didn't.

When I was on the electrician course I couldn't get a job in it regardless, didn't matter how much I tried, they would all say I didn't have experience, but I was sending speculative letters to companies, I think now I realize that because youngsters at college don't have any experience on the job whatsoever, they aren't going to get a job in it, I remember there were a few people in my class going into apprenticeships. Is anything within the building industry a bad idea? Doesn't seem like there's much work for tradesman and too much supply in them. Every young person won't be able to get experience as an electrician so there all stuck in a trap.

Is it a different situation with graduates? The statistics seem to say different. I haven't been able to get a job though, I assumed it would be different when I graduated, so far doing the HNC in Electrical Engineering I haven't been able to get anything, I think actually the people in my HND Electrical Engineering class probably found their jobs before choosing to go on the course, their employer pays for them. I have been applying for Electrical Engineer jobs rather than technician on indeed though, haven't been able to find any internships near me, I assume once I graduate everything will change hopefully.

I think i'm making some big mistake along the lines here, but not realizing it.
Hi, there are detailed statistics for graduates on the following links. The second link is especially interesting.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/518654/bis-16-232-graduate-labour-market-statistics-2015.pdf
http://www.highfliers.co.uk/download/2015/graduate_market/GMReport15.pdf
hamza ahmad hamzaahmad786 luton hertfordshire
Reply 2
Is it part of a conspiracy to conceal these statistics or something?
Original post by J-SP
No conspiracy.

Many people do a degree and then choose to go into a non-related career.

Engineers could go into careers like supply chain/finance.

Just because a percentage seems low, doesn't mean it's necessarily a bad thing and therefore covered up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is definitely true. I worked in construction and media; despite holding a degree in Social Sciences.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending