The Student Room Group

What am I doing?!?! Cambridge Admissions Assessments freakout thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by liziepie
Fair enough! Was the interview the only thing you asked about? :smile:

There was also correlation between number of posts in the Camb thread and getting an offer. I think everybody bar 2 out of the top 10 or top 20 posters got offers. (Jneill can confirm the exact stats)
Original post by Zacken
There was also correlation between number of posts in the Camb thread and getting an offer. I think everybody bar 2 out of the top 10 or top 20 posters got offers. (Jneill can confirm the exact stats)

That's quite interesting!
Original post by Zacken

That just makes me want to post a lot more :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Obiejess

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same, there'll be competition for the top spot now :lol:
Reply 84
Original post by Zacken

Original post by SteamboatMickey
That's quite interesting!

Original post by Obiejess

Posted from TSR Mobile

The Top 40 posters in the 2015 Applicants thread had a 66% offer rate (vs a typical rate of 25%)

Only 1 poster in the Top 10 missed out on getting an offer.

BUT correlation <> causation :wink:
Trying to do the Theology one right now...it is scarily hard and haven't done anything like it before :///
I've just completed the HAA Section 2 (tagging History pals + two other friends).

I completed it with a minute and thirty seconds to spare, and I managed to write what was three pages when converted to double spacing. I feel like it was pretty do-able, although I kept my eye on my phone timer and that was quite nerve-wracking. I was trying to squeeze in three paragraphs. However, I think that my piece is coherent, logical and the inferences made are only made through closer analysis and came after reading through and highlighting bits. Obviously, I've been reading this for a while on the build-up to the admissions assessment, but this is the first time that I read through it properly. To be honest, it wasn't as bad as I expected. My only issue is that I feel my language got a bit repetitive because I was so pushed for time, I had to use the first words that came into my head to express my thought processes. I also hope that reading it more than once on the build up has not obscured my perception of its difficulty.

I do feel like it could have gone better as I feel like I could have explored the sources in more depth, but I did struggle with the timing. I did feel slightly rushed.

I feel like you all should be proud of me :u: joking, of course Honestly, if the paper next week is anything like the Specimen, I'm feeling pretty confident. It's probably not great by any means, but if this was the real thing I'd feel satisfied to send it off.

Only one last issue -

Are we okay to quote the source directly? I mean, I do this all of the time with A-Level sources, but it says "in your own words" and I'm not sure if that means we can't quote directly to support an inferrance.
(edited 7 years ago)
I've just completed the HAA Section 2 (tagging History pals + two other friends).

I completed it with a minute and thirty seconds to spare, and I managed to write what was three pages when converted to double spacing. I feel like it was pretty do-able, although I kept my eye on my phone timer and that was quite nerve-wracking. I was trying to squeeze in three paragraphs. However, I think that my piece is coherent, logical and the inferences made are only made through closer analysis and came after reading through and highlighting bits. Obviously, I've been reading this for a while on the build-up to the admissions assessment, but this is the first time that I read through it properly. To be honest, it wasn't as bad as I expected. My only issue is that I feel my language got a bit repetitive because I was so pushed for time, I had to use the first words that came into my head to express my thought processes. I also hope that reading it more than once on the build up has not obscured my perception of its difficulty.

I feel like you all should be proud of me :u: joking, of course Honestly, if the paper next week is anything like the Specimen, I'm feeling pretty confident. It's probably not great by any means, but if this was the real thing I'd feel satisfied to send it off.

Only one last issue -

Are we okay to quote the source directly? I mean, I do this all of the time with A-Level sources, but it says "in your own words" and I'm not sure if that means we can't quote directly to support an inferrance.

Congrats!! If you're confident on the specimen, I'm sure you'll do great in the real thing :biggrin:

As for the quoting, I think when it says "in your own words" it means don't quote word for word what something is. The way you've quoted it in your final sentence on the post I'm replying too is fine (I think). I've always been told to quote never more than 3 or 4 words from something, and if you can embed just a single word quotation that's even better.
Original post by jamestg
Congrats!! If you're confident on the specimen, I'm sure you'll do great in the real thing :biggrin:

As for the quoting, I think when it says "in your own words" it means don't quote word for word what something is. The way you've quoted it in your final sentence on the post I'm replying too is fine (I think). I've always been told to quote never more than 3 or 4 words from something, and if you can embed just a single word quotation that's even better.

I hope you're right, thanks man! Considering I got around 60% (excluding silly mistake realisation - will hopefully pick up more marks if I'm more careful) for Section 1, and I feel like I've met most/all the specification points in the practice, I hope that this will be in my favour for admissions. :biggrin:
I do find the specimen worryingly easy, but oh well, I can only do my best on Wednesday.

I always embed quotes, I do English Lit so it's sort of drilled into me. I kind of just do what I do with English lit quotation wise!
I hope you're right, thanks man! Considering I got around 60% (excluding silly mistake realisation - will hopefully pick up more marks if I'm more careful) for Section 1, and I feel like I've met most/all the specification points in the practice, I hope that this will be in my favour for admissions. :biggrin:
I do find the specimen worryingly easy, but oh well, I can only do my best on Wednesday.

I always embed quotes, I do English Lit so it's sort of drilled into me. I kind of just do what I do with English lit quotation wise!

I hope I'm right too hahaha! Good luck :biggrin: just do what you have done in the specimen and you'll be a-okay!

I'll stick it all in now!

Yay!
Original post by jamestg
I hope I'm right too hahaha! Good luck :biggrin: just do what you have done in the specimen and you'll be a-okay!

Just got to keep a cool head and hope the real thing isn't too different. I'm so worried that I can't think of anything to write for the Source question, but since the practice today went pretty well (I think), that's hopefully a good sign. On Sunday I just need to work through the other source activities on virtual classroom :biggrin:

I do feel like it could have gone better as I feel like I could have explored the sources in more depth, but I did struggle with the timing. I did feel slightly rushed.

Only one last issue -

:congrats::congrats::congrats::congrats:
Good job!

I definitely think you should quote the source, because the specification says something like 'give clear evidence' i.e. quotes :tongue:

In other news, I screamed and cried at my mum today because of Section 1 - I'm literally getting worse at it :redface:
Original post by Rachel58
:congrats::congrats::congrats::congrats:
Good job!

I definitely think you should quote the source, because the specification says something like 'give clear evidence' i.e. quotes :tongue:

In other news, I screamed and cried at my mum today because of Section 1 - I'm literally getting worse at it :redface:

Haha thanks - I'm still doubting myself, but hey, the source could've gone worse - I could have been looking at my timer wishing that I could have a thought worth writing down enter my mind. I'm so scared that I won't be able to think of anything when it comes to the real thing though. :frown: If only we got extra time, if only to calm ourselves down.

Honestly, I doubt it went that bad. As I keep saying, you got this! We believe in you! Have you had a go at Section 2??

Only one last issue -

well done :tongue: and yeh i felt really pressured by the time as well, its not like a-levels where i can just write to a pre-determined structure and know the examiners gonna rate it :frown: plus surely they cant expect us to explore it in that much depth, i mean we only have an hour and i struggle with the introduction never mind in-depth source analysis lol - sidenote are we meant to do an intro? it just kinda feels weird not doing at least a couple of lines at the beginning

and on the quoting thing, surely we are allowed to quote it how are we meant to reference the source if we have to constantly paraphrase it lol, if i lose marks for that im just gonna kms now :nooo:
Haha thanks - I'm still doubting myself, but hey, the source could've gone worse - I could have been looking at my timer wishing that I could have a thought worth writing down enter my mind. I'm so scared that I won't be able to think of anything when it comes to the real thing though. :frown: If only we got extra time, if only to calm ourselves down.

Honestly, I doubt it went that bad. As I keep saying, you got this! We believe in you! Have you had a go at Section 2??

Well, we don't know what'll happen in the real thing until it happens! :biggrin:

Yeah, I've had a few tries at Section 2, and it goes fine, but if it's only worth 10 marks then that isn't going to make the difference between being bottom of the pack and being able to make up for my B :frown:
Original post by Rachel58
Well, we don't know what'll happen in the real thing until it happens! :biggrin:

Yeah, I've had a few tries at Section 2, and it goes fine, but if it's only worth 10 marks then that isn't going to make the difference between being bottom of the pack and being able to make up for my B :frown:

Don't worry, if you're out I'm out for sure, so we can both go down together. I don't think I'll be able to make up for my B grade at all :frown: but I have every faith in you, if that means anything at all. :smile: I think they look at each section differently, so I think both are just as important.
Don't worry, if you're out I'm out for sure, so we can both go down together. I don't think I'll be able to make up for my B grade at all :frown: but I have every faith in you, if that means anything at all. :smile: I think they look at each section differently, so I think both are just as important.

Atm, I'm not convinced I'll be able to sit the full exam - unless my school gives me some allowances - I can't sleep, let alone do a two hour exam, and I'm not seeing my doctor again till the 11th so funnnnn :angry: Plus he said it was 'growing pains' and like...??? Im 17 and havent grown since I was 11? Growing pains aren't real???? I'm having shooting pains up and down my right leg and my hips??????? :s-smilie:
Nice thread. Just commenting now to watch it. Going to do the AMES specimen tomorrow. Hope it's not as hard as the LNATs I did to practise the MCQs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending